wow... this cordless impact is amazing

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
candymancan

wow... this cordless impact is amazing

Post by candymancan »

Ive never had a impact wrench before well except the crappy 50$ one i bought from harbor freight a year ago that i was hoping would at least tale off lug nuts and didnt.

So i was in harbor freight yesturday and i noticed they had some brand called earthquake for a cordless lithium impact claims 1200 ft lbs but i dont believe that.. Watched some videos of it being taken apart and people testing it. Couple guys torqued nuts at 400-500 ft lbs and it lnocked em off easy.

One guy did 1200 ft lbs and it couldnt do it nore at 1100 but it did at 1000 which is nice in my opinion despite the false advertising. The guy who took it apart said it was the best constructed impact hes taken apart and this is compared to dewault and milwalkie and so forth.

So i spent the 240$ because today i wanted to try amd get the trailer hitch from an 88 Grand wagoneer in the salvage yard off. I went prior and with my 36 inch breaker bar i couldnt budge the nuts on the bolts... So i went today and this thing cracked the decades old rusted nuts off like freakin butter.... I mean one nut i had the thing on tighten by accident and it snapped the bolt like a twig lol.

I tested it on other nuts like for the leaf spring u bolts and shocks. and body mounts and they all came off instantly or broke off lol.

Im sold on this earthquake xt cordless impact wrench.. Happy i bought it.. Only downside is the crappy warrenty but if the build quality is as good as the videos who took it apart stated then i shouldnt need to worry too much.

So happy i dont have to manually take bolts and nuts off anymore... Been working on Jeeps for 8 years almost and ive done everything by hand and i cant have an air compressor in a townhouse..
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: wow... this cordless impact is amazing

Post by Stuka »

Electric impacts are amazing. That one actually seems to be quite good.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-max-l ... 63852.html
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea ive been waiting for one to come out that wasnt too expensive but i forgot all about it until i saw it in harbor freight.

They also have a cordless lithium angle grinder i was looking at but we cant really use those in salvage yards. Need to buy a new one, my 6amp chicago electric one broke last year, the blue one. Lasted 2 years and i used it almost daily. 2 years doesnt seem long but it was only 30$.

As for the impact, god i wish i had this thing years ago.... it felt so good seeing those nuts and bolts on the 88 gw in the salvage yard come off in seconds like that.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Ooooooo....a good one :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

A quality impact, a cordless sawzall and angle grinder are 3 tools that can make a trip to the junk yard quick and painless.
When my old DeWalt stuff began dying regularly I converted over to Milwaukee. I've been happy with it but am glad to hear the HF ok impact is looking like quality. I have people looking for suggestions and now I have some first hand review to pass along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

its made in taiwan too not china uses korean lithium batteries.

watch this video

Watch "BOLTR: Harbor Freight Earthquake XT | SKOOKUM?!" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/UkPzjV-ZaTU

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Funny story about Cordless tools at the salvage yard. I went out to get a Disc braked Rodeo Dana44 for my CJ and I brought my impact and 4" cut-off disc /grinder. I started working and the tools were spining/banging. I stood up to move to the other side of the vehicle and noticed that half the yard was looking over to see who would have enough money/sense to bring power tools in. It was like on TV when a pride of lions see a retarded gazel walk by :shock: The people Im talking about are the ones that come early- leave late and its their only means of income [or so it seems]. They may or may not be legal--not the tools... ;) Cordless tools are going to replace Peumatics soon

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

candymancan wrote:its made in taiwan too not china uses korean lithium batteries.

watch this video

Watch "BOLTR: Harbor Freight Earthquake XT | SKOOKUM?!" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/UkPzjV-ZaTU

He really goes in depth into that!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

rocklaurence wrote:Funny story about Cordless tools at the salvage yard. I went out to get a Disc braked Rodeo Dana44 for my CJ and I brought my impact and 4" cut-off disc /grinder. I started working and the tools were spining/banging. I stood up to move to the other side of the vehicle and noticed that half the yard was looking over to see who would have enough money/sense to bring power tools in. It was like on TV when a pride of lions see a retarded gazel walk by :shock: The people Im talking about are the ones that come early- leave late and its their only means of income [or so it seems]. They may or may not be legal--not the tools... ;) Cordless tools are going to replace Peumatics soon

lol yea. Sounds about right..

I want a cordless angle grinder.. I need to cut off leaf spring brackets and stuff off wagoneers for mine.. But tbh im afraid of starting a fire in the salvage yard with all thay oil and stuff.. Granted its mostly just dirt and rocks but still.

my leaf spring brackets in the very rear are very thin and badly rusted.. ive cleaned em and painted em with rust reformer and it stopped the rusting but still.. Hopefully i can make another 100$ quickly before they crush the 88 Gw i got thr hitch from.

Sucks..I hate how quickly they crush vehicles in the yards here

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Sounds like a flawed test. If you torque a bolt to 1200 it'll take more than 1200 to remove it reason being that when tightening the wrench is seeing dynamic friction. Once the bolt stops turning static friction is what the loosening wrench will see which is greater.

This is why you don't want to creep up on a torque in to many step like when torquing a head. If you're torquing to 100 ft-lbs and do a pattern at 95 the bolts may not move at 100.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, always takes way more torque to remove something than to do the initial torque. But normally to get something that is say 150ft lbs off, it will take many times that. Also depends if there is any anti-seize, rust, lock tight, and the type of nut/bolt. The more surface area a nut has in contact with a surface, the more friction there is.

But, the nice thing about these high torque impacts is they can break these types of things loose.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I want an impact that will break the fastener if its seized. Most of my work is slavaging parts and I dont care if I break a lug. I just want it apart

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well it broke the bolt like a twig on the trailer hitch when i had it on tighten by accident.. and thr bolts werent rusted or thin... just surface rust and old

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

so i jist took this bracket that was bolted to ome side of my moms 4.0 zj off so i could put a trailer hitch on i got in the junkyard.

those 2 nuts and 1 bolt i couldnt budge by hand with a breaker bar.. but it knocked them off in seconds..

one of them the nut wouldnt move abd it started to rip the nutsert out if the frame haha... Thats major BEEPING torque if it can rip a nutsert out if the 1.8th ga frame

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yeah, I might have to convert from Ryobi to Buer

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

what do you mean ? you mean Bauer ? Its an earthquake brand i dont think its the same company as bauer if thats what you ment ?

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

candymancan wrote:what do you mean ? you mean Bauer ? Its an earthquake brand i dont think its the same company as bauer if thats what you ment ?
Oh, I thought they were? Theyre all 20vlt and I assumed they use the same batteries. The batteries are the greatest expense and for me determine the brand.

letank

Post by letank »

thank you, great post, can you post a pict of the battery pack connector, I am wondering if it is like the milwaukee M18 battery

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

looks the same. i noticed the casing also has the same high low switch but blocked off. The internals are not the same though the vid where the guy took it apart.. also toik apart the milwalkie and they are completetly different in the guts

Lemme go grab a pic.

I can go to harbor freight with my battery and see if itll plug into the bauer tools on display.. Thatd be nice if it did lol i want the cordless angle grinder but i hate how it has no battery or charger... And hf sells batteries but no chargers in the store lol so how tf an i suppose to charge the bauer lol

edit. here is the battery.. completetly diff

letank

Post by letank »

Good, thank you. My HF store is far, so it is only a side trip once or twice a year.

So the earthquake comes w 1 batt and 1 charger?
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)