Does anyone have any experience with a lift

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
yz400e

Does anyone have any experience with a lift

Post by yz400e »

Like this one ?
Any idea on brand or price ? is it even available in the U.S. ?

I like it because it is portable and has a capacity sufficient for an FSJ

I have seen it lift up Toyota Hilux's / VW pickups / Ford Rangers (Euro version) and VW passenger vans.

looks scary as hell when it is up but the mechanics here don't seem to mind standing under the vehicle when it is in the up positon.

If I have a chance I'll get more photos when it is raised.

Imagecar_lift_2 by Mark Wise, on Flickr

Imagecar_lift_1 by Mark Wise, on Flickr

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone have any experience with a lift

Post by Stuka »

I have never seen that type. It looks like it still needs to be bolted in place?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
yz400e

Post by yz400e »

I went and had another look at it. there are tabs for bolts but it is not bolted down.

here is a shot with a vehicle on it

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21N6sNj][img]htt ... .jpg[/img]lifted_1 by Mark Wise, on Flickr[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24y687M][img]htt ... .jpg[/img]lifted_2 by Mark Wise, on Flickr[/url]

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

With it that high, that seems sketchy to me. It has support arms going out towards the back of the vehicle, but not the front.

I take it you are in NZ or Australia, since we don't get the Amarok here.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
yz400e

Post by yz400e »

I am in Austria. I have been meaning to get a close up of the ID plate so I can look it up more but I think you just answered my question...that brand / model isnt available in the US.

I would like to have a lift. I have not taken the time to research lifts mainly due to never being home to actually need a lift but that may change so I'm now starting to think about tools I want to make my life easier when working on vehicles and this one looked ideal because it could be moved out of the way. there is probably something similar in the US, I just need to start looking.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh yeah, europe would have the Amarok as well.

I have seen some portable ones just looking around, but any of the high lift ones just look really scary. And of course they are all from China.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
yz400e

Post by yz400e »

last comment on this one.
it is a Finkbeiner, model FHB3000
it weighs 900kg
it can lift 3000 kg
it is made in Germany,

and several years ago they cost around 7000 euro's.

not cheap.
but it sure would be nice.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would trust a german made one WAY more than a chinese one!
2017 JKU Rubicon

letank

Post by letank »

So what is the "mechanism" that lift the arms, chains? gears? I mention the chain because a friend got a lift with 4 legs driven by chains and at some point one of the PO fiddled with the chain and replace the triple link with a single link... and yes the lift collapsed, but fortunately nobody was injured, only the expensive 1930ish toy took a dive off the lift with serious damages.

interesting, electro-hydraulic

https://www.finkbeiner-lifts.com/produk ... 6a65022585

220v or 400v

and wildfire for us in the states

www.WildfireLifts.com
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Good lifts are getting cheaper and cheaper. I would not spend that kind of money on the scissor style lift shown, but since you are in Europe, I cannot comment on what they go for there. For 7k USD, I could probably get a used Mohawk 10k lift and those are usually considered among the best around here. Used Rotary's are available for even less and are pro quality and used in most shops.

New cheaper lifts can be mail ordered, but I would expect the parts/service of such to be sketchy and I wouldn't want to stand under such a lift 10+ years down the road. Lifts are like elevators, they need maintenance and inspection. Which means you need parts and support. I doubt the mail order company will be around in 10-20 years from now. If they are, they will probably just want to sell you another cheap crappy lift.

Spend the money once, cry once, and don't look back. You are going to be standing under it, so it is important.

Hopefully my new shop extension is done soon. Once the slab is put down, I can get a real lift and get some real progress made on the beast.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Mass
Vendor

Post by Mass »

I know this is an old thread but If anyone is considering buying a lift like this DON'T DO IT!

Working with the wheels at chest height for brakes or front end work is impossible on 1 end of the car. You have to lower it and flip it around or just work at or above head height. Forget pulling a transmission let alone servicing it unless you back the vehicle on it. That section on the ground connecting the 2 sides gets in the way and is a trip hazard.
Especially when you're elbows deep, arms are numb, neck is hurting, last bolt, phone is ringing, boss is nagging, sun is setting, stomach grumbling, knuckles bleeding just to forget you're working with a crappy lift and go head first into that low hanging solid front axle because you tripped on something that should NOT be there. ..Ask me how I know this.

I worked for a guy that was too smart for his own good.
Portable! he said.
Space saving! he said.
He ended up selling it to put in a proper 2 post lift. I don't know where this lift would excel but it's not in a shop. Maybe for the guy that changes the oil on his trailer queen once a year.
89' GW 6BT Cummins

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

We use a lot of these at work and I’ve come to enjoy them. Obviously they don’t work well for cars with low height or plastic bumpers but for 4x4s like a Jeep...