Drill press vise attachment

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Drill press vise attachment

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Broke down and got a new drill press, Porter Cable 15" from Lowe's. It has the grooves in the table for attaching a vise but Lowe's doesn't sell a particular vise for this machine and the manual gives no recommendations. I purchased a drill press vise from Tractor Supply that seems ti be pretty good but I can not get it to mount securely to the table on the drill press in a way that's safe to use. Are there special threaded chucks that fit into the grooves on the drill press table? I've tried a few different sized bolts but the heads won't catch the grooves so there is no way to torque it down.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Drill press vise attachment

Post by rocklaurence »

Grainger / McMastercar have T bolts for machine tracks/slots that are made just for this

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Are they pretty much one size fits all?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

I suspect you have what is called a T slot on your table. You can use these slots to attach a variety of fixtures and work pieces securely.

The T nuts that fit will be specified by the width of the slot and the thread size. You can make your own by simply fitting a square piece of steel with a threaded hole but be careful; If the bolt bottoms in the slot before the head makes contact you could explode the slot flange. For this reason commercially available T nuts are not fully threaded through.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.