PM-25MV Milling machine

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

PM-25MV Milling machine

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I'm looking to get a milling machine as I have a lot of small work I farm out to machine shops for my business and machine shops can be a real PITA to work with, especially when you're the little guy.

Somebody turned me onto this rig:
http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-25mv/

Anyone have experience with this machine? Also one option is the "3 axis DRO" which I assume is the digital readout, is that worth it?

The first (and #1) task this machine will get used for is cutting keyways into 304SS axle shafts.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

d4xycrq

Re: PM-25MV Milling machine

Post by d4xycrq »

Grand,

I went to the link and ticked all the boxes to get a usable machine. $2,677.96. Not sure about where you live, but that budget would get a very very nice Bridgeport and leave room for delivery, too.

The DRO is mandatory, in my humble opinion. Only adds $500, I think, which is very reasonable for a 3 axis DRO. Whichever route you go, head over to YouTube and watch MrPete222, aka Tubalcain.

As for the Precision Matthews kit, I have heard nothing but good. No direct experience. I went with a used Bridgeport!

A word of warning; once you have a mill, a lathe is sure to follow. Used my lathe just yesterday!

Ray

Herk

Post by Herk »

Precision Matthews has a reputation for excellent customer service. Their machines are Asian imports, so they are built to a price, but PM seems to offer a good value. They seem popular with the hobby and small shop machining crowd. Read lots here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/ ... sored.172/

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

Mathews is a good machine. A fellow machinist I know has one. I have a Bridgeport. It was free but for the money the other is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really are judged by the dogs you have!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Looks like a nice machine if you don't have room for a Bridgeport. If you do have the space you can probably do better on a used one for similar money as was pointed out but don't forget to consider tooling costs. Often a used machine won't include tooling.

A horizontal mill is better for cutting keyways but is less versatile.

DRO is really nice but if you aren't going to use the machine for a lot of different jobs I don't know if it's worth 30% more.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

bigun

Post by bigun »

How much room do you have?
Does your panel have enough room, how big a service?

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

Deffinately on the service. Single or 3 phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really are judged by the dogs you have!

d4xycrq

Post by d4xycrq »

Service should be no problem. My sixties vintage Bridgeport came with a 220v 3 phase motor that happily runs fed by a VFD that is plugged into a good 'ole 120V outlet. (A modern miracle - take 120V single phase and feed into a magic box that outputs 220V 3 phase!) I'll throw up a picture later.

Best regards,

Ray

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Bigun, should be 100 amp, you've got a photo of my panel. No panel in the garage, just the 25FT extension cord of shame.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Where are you located? I'm getting to old to hang onto everything.... I have a J head Bridgeport with TONS of tooling
In North West Mi