Stanley Bought Craftsman

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
REDONE

Re: Stanley Bought Craftsman

Post by REDONE »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Lots of nostalgic places I miss that would be nice to see return. I remember when Dairy Queen had good food and the people who owned it were not foreigners who got into the franchise to take advantage of the years of tax exemptions while making money. Handing it off to a new relative when the exemption expires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about Tastee-Freez? I still get a 5-pack of over priced chili cheese dogs at Hamburger Stand (Weinershnitzel, Hamburger Stand, and Tastee-Freez are all the same company; "Lombardi Group") out of pure nostalgia. Every once in awhile one closes (like the one on Colorado Blvd in Glendale) but no new ones ever open. They were iconic enough at one point that it was in John Cougar Mellencamp's most famous song, "Suckin' on a Chili dog outside the Tastee-Freez".
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Yeah... makes ya kinda wonder what the future will look like. Maybe that part of why we cling to our old FSJ relics like we do. They remind us of better times? It's a little sad to look back on my youth, at how things were, and know those days are fading into the dust of history. I'll never have kids but the nephews and nieces are still living proof of how times change. It's not all bad, and everything back then was not all candy and ice cream cones... but I am thankful I got to grow up when and how I did.
Riding my bike: Image wherever I wanted. My mutt dog chasing along behind with never a leash to be seen.
Enjoying Scouts and earning my Eagle when it still meant something and the program was a political disaster.
Hammering nails in trees to build a fort and not having some environmental group try and have me killed.
Sliding around in the back of our 69 Caprice because seat belts were never thought of while freezing because the R12 coming out of the vents would turn you blue.
And a trip to The basement where my dad had his hobby, Lionel trains. It smelled faintly of mildew and WD40. Off in the corner was his tool collection and the "fancy" SnapOn toolbox.
It's funny... all those tools and I can't remember a day ever seeing him work on a car. I do remember getting the belt for borrowing tools without asking and not putting them back.
We had an original Dairy Queen in our town. It was sort of an A frame, stand alone place and all the windows were just screen. You walked up and ordered and handed actual money to the friendly worker when they handed you some hot food. I can almost smell the hot dogs cooking.

Sigh... well, enough of memory lane for now. Time to head to storage to grab some stuff in preparation for this weekends adventures of Jeep. Maybe I'll say hi to Dads old "fancy" toolbox while I'm there.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Sears/Allstate shoulda went bankrupt over hurricane Andrew.

They had all the cash tied up in long term investments and couldn't pay all the claims.

They setlled everyone out for a fraction of crap because they couldn't pay anyone, then cashed in when their investments matured 5+ years later.

Both are in business still today.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Dads "fancy" toolbox looking a little sad...

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

REDONE wrote:
ShagWagon wrote:I bought a fridge from sears.

Every six months or so a light comes on and says "change water filter".

They want $120.00 for a water filter.

Miraculously if you unplug the fridge then you get a new water filter for more six months.

I bought a stove for $400 new.

About a year later a capacitor went out on the main board and two burners wouldn't work.

They wanted $325 for a new main board.

I had an old stereo amplifier that had the same one luckily.
Haha! In the garage display area they have a super dumb, bare-bones "shop refrigerator", that has FAKE diamond plate on the doors only for $1100. :P
Ooh! Here's a link, the price dropped!: http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_de ... oCfFDw_wcB
Kenmore appliances are made by Maytag under license. Craftsman Kenmore Diehard (CKD) was a single division of Sears Holdings last year, so now that Craftsman has been split off and sold to Stanley Black&Decker, I doubt that Kenmore and Diehard have a future.
Wow that fridge sux for $750. Doesn't even make mocha latte. Or ice. Or beer.

And you have to unplug it for the automatic defroster to work.

I have to admit though it would look great in the garage.....
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I was having a little buyers remorse for spending $25 on that USA made Craftsman pry bar set I picked up two days ago. :ugeek: I got to thinking that I don't NEED new pry bars since I still have all three from the Craftsman set I bought over a decade ago. I felt like it was just a silly impulse buy. I decided to go ahead and put the new bars next to the old bars and see if I really made a good decision or if I should return them.

Glad I did, because I feel much better about the purchase. Granted, I don't need to pry on anything right now, but I suppose that when I do isn't the time I'd want to have to go get new ones. 8-)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

You know the whole united states has only 2 Alluminum smelters right ? Two for the entire country.. Thanks to outsourcing..
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

bigun

Post by bigun »

There are three Taste Freezes I remember, one was in about the middle of my paper route (50 miles 500 papers) my helper and I used to stop at they claimed to have 100 flavors of syrup for their milkshakes. Another was in Rio Rancho before it really became a city, it was the first place we came too after a fishing trip , so we would stop. The third was the most important it was on the way down from the mountain after a long day of inner tubing in the winter with the young adults class from church, the hot chocolate was always welcome. The first two are gone progress took them over, the third is now called "Burger Boy" in Cedar Crest NM., and I had many a good meal there in later years.