Bahamas Wheeling Trip

FSJ Related Events in other Places of the World

Topic author
BRUTUS

Bahamas Wheeling Trip

Post by BRUTUS »

This is a spinoff of user: uncletiffy's Cherokee build thread http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =12&t=8698. He has quite a few connections that would be crucial to making this trip a reality with the board of tourism, transportation between islands, etc.

How much interest could we get to go on a Bahamas wheeling trip next year? ECI guys interested? I don't have the funds to pull it off this year but could potentially have them together for a trip next year. I figure that I would rather have my Jeep with me to personally survey the islands than be on some ginormous cruise liner with a bunch of retirees with nothing better to do with their time. Also, hopefully uncletiffy's Cherokee would be finished and ready for a wheeling expedition by that time. Judging by his current progress, that shouldn't be a problem. We could also shuttle any missing pieces out to uncletiffy via our vehicles if necessary.

I guess my basic outline plan would be to trailer (personally or transported by a third party: BostonBob?) my Jeep to Miami and put it on a cargo ship for the Bahamas. I would fly to the Bahamas and pick it up for the remainder of the trip and visa versa to get it back home. I would camp out of my truck, snorkel wherever we may be, bonfires, cheese crisps... whatever happens happens. I couldn't think of a better group of people I would like to see the Bahamas with than this crowd! If you are more of a cruise liner type and didn't want to bring your Jeep, we could potentially meet you at the harbor and whisk you away from the cruiseliner for a couple hours with some new friends too.

Here are the questions that I posed in his build thread:
How much did it cost to ship your Chero from Florida to the Bahamas one way?
Is there a discount for both ways?
Is there any discount for multiple vehicles going together?
uncletiffy wrote:I am sure discounts could be worked for multiple vehicles.
How much does it cost to ship your Chero from one island to another?
uncletiffy wrote:we are friends with the folks that own the local roll on roll off Ferry boat service, so again I am sure that discounts could be arranged
Is there a discount for both ways?
Are there any height/width/length restrictions to this shipping arrangement?
Would you and your family be up to "guiding" (used roughly) a trip with a bunch of mainlander gringos?
uncletiffy wrote:I and my wife would love to make this happen !
Is there any discount for multiple vehicles going together?
Does the "importation" apply to vehicles that will permanently reside in the Bahamas or would they issue a "play visa" for temporary importation?
Are there any special permits that I might need to know about?

Here was his response to my post in the build thread:
uncletiffy wrote:If you guys are really serious, this is something that can be done.
I can get the ministry of tourism involved.
My Wife and I have been taking the Defender or the Wrangler to the Islands for years and know quite a lot of folks that would want to make this happen.

I will get some prices and info together.

Where I work we are closely tied to the local shipping company so I am sure discounts could be worked for multiple vehicles.
Also, we are friends with the folks that own the local roll on roll off Ferry boat service, so again I am sure that discounts could be arranged.

I suggest if we are going to at least consider this that we start a special thread.

I and my wife would love to make this happen !
Is there a prime season (not hurricane season) that works best for a trip like this?
How long of a trip do you normally take island hopping? For the $$$ outlay, it would make sense to take perhaps like 2 weeks for me to make the whole thing pencil.

My wife is definitely on board with this plan! She had a dream about it last night!

My hope is that if we can get enough of the costs arranged and a time that works... this would be an epic wheeling event for all parties involved!
'74 J30 with some upgrades

srobertsfsj

Re: Bahamas Wheeling Trip

Post by srobertsfsj »

Very interesting idea, I would consider it. One concern I would have is getting parts in case of a breakdown.

But what an epic FSJ adventure it would be! I could imagine how my off road magazines we would want pics, lol
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

srobertsfsj wrote:Very interesting idea, I would consider it. One concern I would have is getting parts in case of a breakdown.

But what an epic FSJ adventure it would be! I could imagine how my off road magazines we would be in, lol
I don't imagine the wheeling portion of the trip being half as intense as any wheeling around here. I feel confident that the parts and fluids I have on board that I would be fine.

I had not thought of the magazine angle! Which magazine could we invite? JP would be pretty FSJ focused. Fred Williams could be cool if he filmed an episode of Dirt Everyday with us in the Bahamas! Probably would also end up in Four Wheeler mag. Of course it would be plenty of fun if we didn't share this with anyone outside FSJ circles.. Except maybe it would be fun to brag about it to the jellybean FJs in Ouray!

uncletiffy

Post by uncletiffy »

Wow!!!!

This is great, I will be sitting with logistics people at my company on Monday and start getting some basic prices and ideas together.

As for prime time to travel.... Right now is perfect, no storms, not much rain and the temp in the mid 80s. Spring time is best.

I will start posting info as I get it.
1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief, 360V8, auto ,QT, rust.
1995 Jeep YJ, 2.5 4 cyl. Sold, yay.
1998 Land Rover Defender 90, 2.5 TDI.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Sounds like late winter/early spring 2017 would be good?

Bahamas - FSJ style!

uncletiffy

Post by uncletiffy »

Here are a couple videos that I did on the Island of Eleuthera, this is where we will go, takes about 4 hours on the ferry boat from Nassau.

WARNING ! These videos were done in my LR Defender :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VWebmcBJD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nicry7ZwmLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwxwDnjySb0

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I think the cost of shipping your rig there may be prohibitive. But, flying there, and renting a Wrangler or something would make it a lot more cost effective, and still be fun.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

AwesomeJ10

Re: RE: Re: Bahamas Wheeling Trip

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Stuka wrote:I think the cost of shipping your rig there may be prohibitive. But, flying there, and renting a Wrangler or something would make it a lot more cost effective, and still be fun.
FSJ only

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: Bahamas Wheeling Trip

Post by Stuka »

Blake wrote:
Stuka wrote:I think the cost of shipping your rig there may be prohibitive. But, flying there, and renting a Wrangler or something would make it a lot more cost effective, and still be fun.
FSJ only

Well, I was stating this because for a lot of people, paying to ship their rig there and back is not something that is doable from a financial point of view. Guess it depends if the trip is about getting together with people, or having an FSJ on an island in the atlantic.

If it is strict FSJ only, so be it. Just do not expect as many people to go.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was able.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

This is a really cool concept and would be a really unique trip. I really like the idea of magazine coverage, or an episode of Dirt Everyday because I'm pretty sure you can only pull something like this off one time.

I'm really curious about the itinerary and costs for something like this. Brutus: are you going to be spearheading the effort for laying the groundwork here?
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Lumpskie wrote:I'm really curious about the itinerary and costs for something like this. Brutus: are you going to be spearheading the effort for laying the groundwork here?
I am spearheading this in that I am asking logistical questions to uncletiffy and trying to get baseline budgetary numbers together to see if it is financially and logistically feasible. I think I am driven to do this so much that I might consider going into a little debt to pull this off!
Blake wrote:
FSJ only

I guess I don't really care if there are other rigs there besides FSJ's. I would prefer FSJ's but I also know how frugal many FSJer's are from the word go and figure most can't/won't go based on that alone. I just know that this has been in the back of my mind ever since I wheeled a rental wrangler YJ on Oahu and got it stuck on the beach ONLY then to find out that they take the low range out of the transfer case on rental Jeeps. I kept thinking... "Brutus would never leave me stranded like this! Brutus would tear this beach a new one!" That was when Brutus was on 33x10.50's! I was very proud of myself when I turned the YJ back in with all the tires scuffed up from the rocks!

Uncletiffy, were you able to ask at your company and get any answers? Also, is it prohibited to drive on the beach? I noticed in your second video above that you stopped at the turn around. I also think I saw a sasquatch on the beach at 3:00 into the second video... is that possible? I think we may have to do some investigation into this sighting! :evil:

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I also agree that if folks can't take their FSJ that other vehicles are ok. I will take my FSJ :fsj:

IIRC Fred Williams said on one of the later DED episodes that it costs $1500 to ship Tube Sock to Hawaii, so I would guess that shipping to the Bahamas would be about the same. Let's say 2k.

What kind of permits will be required to drive our FSJ's on the streets? What about the trails?

Don't forget about passports. Mine expires late next year.

Sounds like BRUTUS is serious about doing some epic 'wheeling and so am I. Let's do it!

uncletiffy

Post by uncletiffy »

Hey guys,

I am working on it.

I have made contact with the shipping company and the person that can help with info with Customs and temp visas for the vehicles. Just waiting for them to get back to me. Remember I am on island time, things move a little slower here.

As for driving on the beach, no problem as long as its not a private beach.
There are miles of deserted beaches on Eleuthera.
The reason that I didn't go onto the beach is that it was only me and I was miles away from any help IF I got stuck. :-)

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

This is a really intriguing idea. I love to travel but hate the tourist activities, tours, and guided paths. I would much rather explore the more natural state of the environment at my own pace (relaxed).

I am not sure I could justify the expense of sending a vehicle on such a trip but if the costs work out to be reasonable it would certainly be worth pursuing.

What is the camping situation on Eleuthera and other areas that might be explored? If there is low cost or legal boondocking camping available it would make the trip more intriguing to me. Packing the camp gear into the rig being shipped over and camping on a Bahamian Beach every night would be a little slice of heaven I think.
1964 J-200 360/TH400/BW1339 - "Hodge" - as in Hodge Podge :roll:
GM FF 14 Bolt 4.56:1 Yukon Posi rear / GM D44 4.56:1 front
Looking for 8 lug H1's and 37"s

uncletiffy

Post by uncletiffy »

Camping is not legal in The Bahamas.
I dont know why.
Its an old British law and they never changed it.

There is a great resort in Eleuthera at the Southern end of the island.
http://www.capeeleuthera.com/

I have stayed here many times until I purchased my own place, I would highly recommend staying here and am sure they would give a great group rate.

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

Well you learn something new everyday. I did not know there was no camping in the Bahamas. That sounds so bizarre to me and like such a waste of some amazing natural landscapes. Sunrises look best from a pulled back tent flap in my opinion.

And at $325 a night with a 3 night minimum that resort would have to cut one heck of a group deal to make it work.
Last edited by MidTNJasonF on Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 J-200 360/TH400/BW1339 - "Hodge" - as in Hodge Podge :roll:
GM FF 14 Bolt 4.56:1 Yukon Posi rear / GM D44 4.56:1 front
Looking for 8 lug H1's and 37"s

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

no camping?

hmm - that changes the game. If we can't camp, then we have to stay in resorts/hotels/etc like a bunch of tourist.

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Very interesting change of events. The camping is the only thing that cost-justifies shipping the vehicle. I was watching some videos of people in Tampa FL that would take their boat to the Bahamas and camp on the beach. What is the enforcement of this "law" like? What are the consequences? Fine? Jail? Exportation? I can't imagine that there is much for enforcement on the remote parts of the islands. Is the juice worth the squeeze to risk it?

Would this be considered "camping?"

Or could I bring a hammock and just sleep under the stars?

So uncletiffy, when you go wheeling the remote islands... where do you stay? How long do you stay there? Do you get an "islander discount" at the hotels? EDIT: sorry I didn't catch the last line of your post. So you have a place on Eleuthera that you "home base" explore from? Do you have some open floor that we could utilize?

I get the island time... that's why I don't feel like I am pushing very much. Also why I chose to push this out to next year.

I guess I kinda knew the cost to ship a vehicle to Hawaii was $1500-$2000. My hope was that because the Bahamas are 1/10th the distance from the mainland the cost should be much MUCH less. In my head I was picturing more like ~$500 round trip.

As nice as the hotel may be, it kinda kills the vibe that I was hoping for.

uncletiffy

Post by uncletiffy »

When I go to Eleuthera, I stay at my place.
When I didn't have my place I would stay at the Resort, its really not that touristy because its small, but its not cheap.
There are other places to stay on Eleuthera but I have not stayed in any others.

When I shipped My jeep in, one way was $860.00.
I am sure I can get a better price but never as low as $500.00 for a round trip.

As for camping, It would not be a problem as long as you don't bother any one.
The only camping that is done is on boats, used to do that quite a bit, but never on land.