Wheeling once a month? Let's go!

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Topic author
will e

Wheeling once a month? Let's go!

Post by will e »

Okay AZ guys, we had a goal to go wheel'n at least once a month. How about Saturday the 24th? I have a buddy that is getting his new Jeep in the next week or two and he would love to take it out. Florence comes to mind. We could do Upper Ajax, Box, maybe go part way to the Coke ovens or Elvis? If the nights are not too cold I would be up for camping too.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Tad
Vendor

Re: Wheeling once a month? Let's go!

Post by Tad »

I'm game, especially if it involves camping.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

I could maybe do a morning run. Out for camping though... taking my boys to Monster Jam that night.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Sweet guys. Okay, let's call it a date. If my buddy's rig isn't ready we can go anyways. Unless it is really cold Tad I am up for camping. Anything above 45 or so is good to go.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Josh d

Post by Josh d »

I'm really going to try and make this one. I've been jonesing to go out and it's been awhile.

Question I have is what Jeep to take. I'd like to take the pickup and make it a true FSJ run, but it's been like 15 yrs since doing UA and I don't think I've ever done Elvis. Truck is rear locked on 35's, but carburated, and I really don't like to abuse it. Are these trails mostly optional stuff with bypasses?

If I take the YJ, the trail is a non-issue. Has Waggy axles, so at least has some FSJ DNA.

Thoughts?

And BTW, I saw Will E's Chero at Freescale today. Sweet rig man!
'71 J2000
'95 YJ
'80 911

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Hey Josh, thanks for the compliment. Yeah, I have been driving it since my wife's liberty blew a heater hose assembly.

Elvis has its challenges. There are several lines that can be taken. The first waterfall does not have a bypass.

Let's see who is coming and what they are bringing and where we might go and then we can decide. No worries if you don't show up with FSJ. Mostly we just want to make sure we get out some!

rstep

Post by rstep »

Wow Josh,first post----been awhile. The YJ maybe better some of the trail is tight.IIRC.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Bring the Wrangler and let's play.
My Atlas needs a workout before I dump the break-in fluid.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

That's what I am talking about! Yeah, lets hit Elvis to start. Then we can play it by ear as time permits. Run box and play around a little or ??

I think camping would be a lot of fun.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Will I be ok in my basically lifted stock waggy? I can bow out if lockers are needed.

And as long as someone can show me the way out around lunchtime, I'm good. :)

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

I have only run Elvis once. Kevin can probably answer your question best. If you are going to bug out around lunch time we might be able to adjust the schedule and do Elvis a little later.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Well I am planning on being there also and not camping so I can get you out Drew. It beed awhile since I have been in the Box Canyon area
but I should be able to find are way out ;)

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Sounds like a plan!

Josh d

Post by Josh d »

Tad wrote:Bring the Wrangler and let's play.
Ok, YJ it is! I'll be checking back for meeting time and place.
'71 J2000
'95 YJ
'80 911

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Josh d wrote:
Tad wrote:Bring the Wrangler and let's play.
Ok, YJ it is! I'll be checking back for meeting time and place.
Nice!
I am camping with Mikie unless that gets shelved.
Weather looks to be good.
Can't bring a trailer if we are doing Elvis but as long as it's above freezing and we can find a decent spot I don't care.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

I forgot that the AZVJC has a annual run going on that weekend.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthre ... n-01-24-15

Shouldn't be an issue, we just need to be smart about our timing and what direction we go through box canyon itself. They are going to have about 30 rigs. They are leaving the Gold Canyon gas station at 9am and they will head through box canyon from the Price road side.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Let's beat them there so we can break down and block them!

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

We can either go in cottonwood and avoid box canyon completely or head in via price and do box. Either way we can take 'sandman' back out to price road, it bypasses box canyon and exits where the Elvis turn off from Box canyon is. Drew, Jerry and anyone else who wants to can head out price road (the azvjc group will have already passed) and the rest of us can head up Elvis.

I am leaning on going in Box canyon. That way we are 'ahead' of the group and there is less chance we will meet them on the trail going in the opposite direction.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

will e wrote:We can either go in cottonwood and avoid box canyon completely or head in via price and do box. Either way we can take 'sandman' back out to price road, it bypasses box canyon and exits where the Elvis turn off from Box canyon is. Drew, Jerry and anyone else who wants to can head out price road (the azvjc group will have already passed) and the rest of us can head up Elvis.

I am leaning on going in Box canyon. That way we are 'ahead' of the group and there is less chance we will meet them on the trail going in the opposite direction.
Does that involve going up the waterfall I went down last time?

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

So I think the rest of us are going to need to see some monthly wheeling pictures as proof :-bd :fsj:
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress