Wheeling once a month? Let's go!

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Topic author
will e

Re: Wheeling once a month? Let's go!

Post by will e »

I did Elvis on 35's locked/locked with a good spotter.

It's a really fun trail.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Jerry's rig can handle elvis. Heck, he took my jeep on it once!
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Then let's just go eat and run.
If we have time for a second trail after let's do that too.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

will e wrote:Jerry's rig can handle elvis. Heck, he took my jeep on it once!
Well heck, I whelled the Q 42 miles this past Sunday, might be a good time ripping off those goofy flares.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

will e wrote:Jerry's rig can handle elvis. Heck, he took my jeep on it once!
I had a good spotter :D He just couldn't see both side at the same time. :D

78 Arizona Chief

Post by 78 Arizona Chief »

Ok Ok, man I'm never gonna get past that am I Jerry. Oh and btw, it was Upper Woodpecker where that happened.

Wish I could make it. I am 3 Quadratracs, 1 front Dana 30 for a ZJ, a rear Dana 44 for a ZJ, and a rear Dana 44 for my WJ, all torn apart in my garage and I am running outta weekends to get them done. I would love to go run Elvis with you guys. I just ran it in the old chief a couple weeks back.

Elvis is not nearly as hard as it use to be. Still one of my favorite trails that remain open (Martinez Mine Loop will always be #1). Many of the obstacles, due to the type of granite they are, have been broken down quite a bit. J-Turn for example use to be freakin tough, but it is much more tame today. There are really 3 difficult areas, all of which either have a mild/medium/hard way up or a bypass. If the AZVJC guys are out there, please don't let them convince you the bypass around the squeeze is not legal. I have confirmed it personally with the Tucson BLM office that 'The Squeeze' bypass is legal. I have taken some pretty mild jeeps through this trail unscathed. Just keep calm and use lots of patience. It is a really fun and beautiful trail.

Take lots of pics!
Kevin
1978 Cherokee Chief: Parents bought new. 360/TH400/NOS Quadratrac, 44's/ARB's/4.10's, SOA, Shackle Flip, Alcan Springs, FOX 2.0's, 35" BFG KM2s, custom bumpers, 324,000 miles and counting...

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Sorry you can't make it Kevin.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Josh d

Post by Josh d »

Sounds like a fun trail. Looking forward to it.
'71 J2000
'95 YJ
'80 911

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Jerry are you coming?

So far it is Tad, Mike and Josh.

If we get out of Elvis we can head off somewhere else if we want. Let's play it by ear.

I am going to give the up and over a good look. I might be able to make it without busting up my rear rockers now that I have 37's. What do ya think Kevin?
I am even wider than the last time I went through the sqweeze. I will see how Tad does on it (or the up and over) and make my call. No worries about using the bypass.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

will e wrote:Jerry are you coming?

So far it is Tad, Mike and Josh.

If we get out of Elvis we can head off somewhere else if we want. Let's play it by ear.

I am going to give the up and over a good look. I might be able to make it without busting up my rear rockers now that I have 37's. What do ya think Kevin?
I am even wider than the last time I went through the sqweeze. I will see how Tad does on it (or the up and over) and make my call. No worries about using the bypass.
I'm sure I can make the squeeze, but I don't really care about my sheet metal.
I'll try the up and over, not being locked up front might present a problem, might need an anchor point if I get half way stuck.
Probably will not get the belly pan finished, too many distractions so I will be choosing lines a bit more carefully than usual, don't need to be trashing all my nice tube work underneath so soon after I finished it.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

78 Arizona Chief wrote:...If the AZVJC guys are out there, please don't let them convince you the bypass around the squeeze is not legal. I have confirmed it personally with the Tucson BLM office that 'The Squeeze' bypass is legal...

Take lots of pics!
Kevin
I read that post last week Kevin.
Sort of cracked me up they think they own Florence.
Too bad for them.
I'm a respectful trail guy, won't cut a new path, but if it exists and I need to use it I will and even though I am a life member there they can kiss tookass
I don't do stickers, maybe I will tape mine on upside down for the ride.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

I am still planning on going. I am to old for that rough stuff and will be running some bypasses. And I will not be camping out with you guys.

78 Arizona Chief

Mike,
I have put the old jeep up onto the up and over twice. First time no one with us had a winch, I had to back down. Our rear overhang caused all the scaring on my rear bumper. Second time, pit was full of water, once all my tires were wet, no way, but I had someone winch me over. Assuming dry, I think you got a good fighting shot, you too Tad, although I agree, the absent front locker will make the line that much more important. Tad, you will need to go straight up, Mike, you should be able to climb the right wall a little more before swinging slightly driver to miss the bump up towards the top that is murder on our FSJ wheel base. Tad, your stretched wheel base may just work out perfect, coupled with the non-Jenny-Craig nature of that feather-lite Caddy motor!, your front end will still be doing decent pullin.

Dangit all these freakin projects, getting all excited just talking about the trail.
Kevin
1978 Cherokee Chief: Parents bought new. 360/TH400/NOS Quadratrac, 44's/ARB's/4.10's, SOA, Shackle Flip, Alcan Springs, FOX 2.0's, 35" BFG KM2s, custom bumpers, 324,000 miles and counting...

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

haha kevin. You should join us. "You know you want to" "You know you want to"..

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

78 Arizona Chief wrote:...Tad, your stretched wheel base may just work out perfect, coupled with the non-Jenny-Craig nature of that feather-lite Caddy motor!, your front end will still be doing decent pullin...
I think you just called my jeep fat...LOL!
;)
I actually think with the engine shoved back 3" it's lighter up front than with the B350.
We shall see.
New front springs are on, rear has been reworked to match, new shocks all the way around.
Working on the belly skid Thursday and Friday.
Might not be totally finished but I should be fine dragging my fat jeep over things.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Josh d

Post by Josh d »

What is the up and over? Tall waterfall? How do SWB Jeeps fair?
'71 J2000
'95 YJ
'80 911

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

78 Arizona Chief

Tad,
didn't call your jeep fat at all... we all know muscle weighs twice as much as fat... you gotta a lotta muscle under there... thats what I meant, yeah thats what I meant!
Kevin

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Good news. Letzroll is done with my truck and I am going to go pick it up.

One of the hubs started spinning on it's own and I had them do a quick lookover and rear diff oil change.

I should be able to lock/lock.