UT - Salt Lake County emissions question

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Topic author
jpngriff

UT - Salt Lake County emissions question

Post by jpngriff »

I'm going to go ask around at a few different local emissions places but I figure I'd ask here too...

I'm going to use an AFI Fuel Injection kit on my 1991 Waggy. I'm carburetor-ed out. I'm not sure if the delightful counties that run us through the emissions ringer in Utah do "visual" inspections too. My concern being the visual might turn up a less than factory amount of vacuum equipment after the AFI conversion.

Anyone run into this? I've heard the "Go to Jim at shop X, he'll pass anyone" but I'd rather just know if I'm going to fail. I have a passing certificate for 12 more months, I very realistically could be gone from Utah by then anyways, but I'm just trying to understand "Visual" inspection tactics.

Thoughts?
1991 Grand Wagoneer
360 V8, TBI Conversion

racerx12003r1

Re: UT - Salt Lake County emissions question

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Well, I'm not sure about Utah, but in NC we have a visual inspection that they go under to see if all emissions stuff is there, but they don't go into heavy detail as to counting vac hoses and stuff. I think the worst one I had was with a Dodge that was actually exempted because of the size and year model. It came from the factory without any emissions except an EGR valve and an unleaded gas restricter. This was the last year my Jeep had to be inspected, but he went over it and passed it. It wasn't all there but what all was there worked. :-bd
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)