Annual Back Way to Crown King run, 8/16 (Phoenix)

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Topic author
TUDrewser

Annual Back Way to Crown King run, 8/16 (Phoenix)

Post by TUDrewser »

Poll just went up and time slots are open for the VJC Annual Crown King run. This is mostly baby jeeps and XJ's, but Mike and I are both signed up for the 6am group. Groups leave every hour with first slot at 5am. 5-6 hours up to Crown King, eat lunch, hang out, and then take the easy way home (1-2 hours).

Link to the poll, then just look for the thread for the time slot you want: http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthre ... ugust-16th
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Tad
Vendor

Re: Annual Back Way to Crown King run, 8/16 (Phoenix)

Post by Tad »

Sorry, I read the the list and the rules.
I can't do that type of organized stuff with that big a group.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Yeah. It's a huge group. Not sure I'd do it all the time, but giving it a shot

will e

Post by will e »

It is mass organized chaos. You have to go in with a mind set that it will be a long day with some drama.

Last year we had one guy use this for his 'shake out run'. He literally finished a bunch of stuff the night before. Why would you do that with such a large group on such a long trail? It was fortunate that he only had a few issues. And another jeeper was afraid to back up on any hills. They had a previous bad experience where they 'almost' rolled over. Their father was in another Jeep but was offering very little sympathy whenever their child had to backup. There was a lot of yelling.

My engine almost caught fire. The air cleaner thing that goes from the firewall to the snorkel had rubbed through on the battery. It the metal wire acted like a heating blanket and melted. Someone said "Dude, there is smoke coming out from under your hood". yeah, that's something you don't want to hear.

Our group broke up when the tail gunner decided to see if he could find the owner of a jeep that had no one in it. I was next to last so I can't leave without him in my mirror. The guy in front of me didn't know this rule. We caught up to them eventually.

it is a great time to meet a lot of the club. You can get a feel for who you would and wouldn't want to wheel with again. (Mostly it is who you would, only a few show up on the 'not so much' list). We had a few folk who were very new or this was their first run. Newbies are always a blast especially on this kind of trail where there are bypasses to the more difficult lines.

But I still prefer my wheel'n trips with the FSJ guys. I know all of your names. I have camped with most of you, trail repaired with some, done wrench o thons too. I consider you my friends.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

I honestly can't imagine what it's like having a wheeling trip with that many Jeeps...sounds like absolute chaos. But looking forward to being a part of it. Since I can't make it to Ouray, at least it will get me out before Turkey in the Dessert.

will e

Post by will e »

We could pick another weekend and head back up for a FSJ trip.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

I'm actually looking forward to meeting some new Jeep guys, and this seems like a good time to do it. Not the same as the FSJ crowd, but good to branch out a bit. It's kind of like being a Jeep Missionary...

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

will e wrote:It is mass organized chaos. You have to go in with a mind set that it will be a long day with some drama.

it is a great time to meet a lot of the club. You can get a feel for who you would and wouldn't want to wheel with again. .
Mike hasn't wheeled with me since. :P
Drink more Water

will e

Post by will e »

Locked and Loaded wrote:
will e wrote:It is mass organized chaos. You have to go in with a mind set that it will be a long day with some drama.

it is a great time to meet a lot of the club. You can get a feel for who you would and wouldn't want to wheel with again. .

LOL. Not true. But I might not wheel with you if you are really going to put new tires on the CJ...

Drew, yeah, it's kind of fun having an odd ball rig too.

Locked and Loaded

Mike are you camping?
Drink more Water

Locked and Loaded

will e wrote:
Locked and Loaded wrote:

LOL. Not true. But I might not wheel with you if you are really going to put new tires on the CJ...

Drew, yeah, it's kind of fun having an odd ball rig too.
New tires are coming for the CJ. 31s of course. And after 26 years of owning the CJ. They finally make a wheel I want. So those are coming to.
Drink more Water

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Locked and Loaded wrote:New tires are coming for the CJ. 31s of course. And after 26 years of owning the CJ. They finally make a wheel I want. So those are coming to.
Cant wait to see this.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

will e

Post by will e »

New wheels and tires! Blasphemous! Shave your beard and you are no longer 'in the club', LOL

I am not sure if I am camping or not. I will bring the stuff to camp, as I did last year, but last year I just went home. I was confused on where to camp and who to camp with. I am kind of an introvert and don't mingle well with new people. ;)

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

will e wrote: I was confused on where to camp and who to camp with. I am kind of an introvert and don't mingle well with new people. ;)
ummmmmmm REALLY?

Mr Cheese Crisp dude!
Besides, if they have enough moonshine, wildturkey, pabst, coors, wine, and .......................... I am sure you'll be OK? :lol:
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Week and a half away! Locked and loaded is joining the 6 am guys with his CJ. There are like 31 jeeps just in the 6 am group...should be an interesting, very long day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk