SOLVED: Anyone know a good AC shop in East Valley/Mesa?

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Topic author
TUDrewser

SOLVED: Anyone know a good AC shop in East Valley/Mesa?

Post by TUDrewser »

Ok y'all, I'm tired of messing with it. I've replaced every part of my AC system and it now holds the R12 charge just fine, but the compressor only kicks in when it wants to. I've tested voltage, bypassed the pressure switch, still not getting the compressor to engage other than every once in a while (when the stars align). If I run 12v straight to the compressor, everything works like a dream.

So, anyone know an A/C guy who works on old cars and would be willing to troubleshoot this? It's gotta be a bad wire somewhere between the controller and the compressor...I'm just tired of tracing wires and getting random readings (sometimes they are hot, sometimes not).

EDIT: Or, anyone willing to come over and troubleshoot the damn thing with me?
Last edited by TUDrewser on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

will e

Re: Anyone know a good AC shop in Mesa, East Valley or Phoen

Post by will e »

Is yours integrated or under dash?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

If you mean OEM on a 90, then yes, integrated. It's not an add on. But the venting is all still done like an afterthought and is under dash...

will e

Post by will e »

My spare switches probably wouldn't work then. Take a picture of the control switches for me. Why did you have to go and buy a newer jeep?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

will e

Post by will e »

My switches won't work....

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Updating this...found a shop that not only knows what they are talking about, but has people that are actually interested in troubleshooting and finding the issue instead of throwing parts at it.

Air Components in Mesa (http://www.aircomponents.com/) is a great group of guys. They previously made my new AC hoses (for a great price), but I didn't realize they actually worked on auto A/C. Called several shops who weren't interested in troubleshooting an R12 system, or even a system that old. Then a mechanic friend recommended Air Components for troubleshooting my issues and I am really happy with the experience. They are honest, no BSing, and even willing to let me do as much work and prep work as I can to save money on shop time. Told me exactly the part to look for after I drop the dash, how to test the part, and then said to bring it in and they probably have a new one in stock. Just an all around great experience. Shop rate is $80 something an hour, and my total price for a full recharge with die and all troubleshooting time was $91. Seemed really reasonable.