Post by Bostonbob »

I might be in for this

Topic author
BRUTUS

Re: Rubicon Trail Summer 2017

Post by BRUTUS »

Bostonbob wrote:I might be in for this
Sweet!
BigJ200 wrote:One other thing... If you are going next year, make sure your Jeep is in tip top mechanical condition. The worst thing for everyone is to spend the entire time working on and dragging someone's junk through the trail all because they didn't spend the time or money to fix known issues or maintain their rig. Anyone can break down. And we will support each other all the way. But just don't be "that guy" who has a bungee holding the battery in, hangers holding the exhaust on, a screw driver to jump the starter solenoid, and 4 different brands and sizes of tires. :D
Couldn't agree more!
Does a bungee on the windshield count though?
'74 J30 with some upgrades

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

FYI the best I could gather, it will be illegal to tow my trailer in California unless you have an endorsement.

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

I am down for going, my in-laws live near Tahoe anyway. I won't take my rig on the Rubicon but I will bring it to do some other trails. I will ride with someone tho on the Rubicon.
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

derf

Post by derf »

I'll have a spare seat if you want it.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Blake wrote:FYI the best I could gather, it will be illegal to tow my trailer in California unless you have an endorsement.
I agree Blake. If needed, I would be willing to meet in Reno or Carson and drive the truck and trailer to the trailhead then back into Nevada. I have a class A CDL with all the endorsements.

As far as I know Nevada, Utah and Idaho don't require an endorsement for towing the trailer as long as the total/combination weight doesn't go over 26,000. The only way to be sure is to hit the DOT websites for each state you will travel through. Glen, aka: Renodemona would most likely know the rules in NV btw.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Oh, and that loaded 40 footer and a dually will be a bit 'Interesting' if you're coming in on the Wentworth Springs/Hwy 50 side. The road gets very tight and twisty with a grade of 10-12% in a few areas. I towed my fishing boat up there with the Chief and had a few close calls with oncoming traffic in the turns. The Georgetown way has a 26 ft kingpin to axle limit I recall.
If you're coming in from the South Shore Lake Tahoe side it's no big deal at all.

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Also, my inlaws live in Gardnerville, NV so if anyone need to park a trailer they have an acre. But they are about 1 1/2 hrs from the trailhead.
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

HeavyIron

Post by HeavyIron »

I just got back from running the Rubicon with my 74 CJ5. I ran with a group of 5 other early CJ's. We split up the trail into three days. What we did was enter the trail on the Loon Lake trail head on Sunday afternoon to give all the weekend people a chance to exit the area. Stopped at Ellis Creek camp area the first night where it got down under 35 degrees. They've improved the camp are with a bridge over the water crossing and an outhouse. Only saw two other vehicles pass us on their way out to Loon. Second night we stayed at Buck Island, got there about noon. While we were at Buck a group of 30 or so JKs came through and went to the Springs camp ground to stay for a few days. Third night at Rubicon Springs camp area, got there about noon as well. No camp fires were allowed there and it is $15/night. The 2nd and 3rd nights down to 43 degrees. Mid week is the best times to miss any potential crowds in my opinion. Also this time was early enough in July they haven't started prepping the trail for the jamborees and the trail is pretty chewed up from all the 37+ tires and lockers. I went a few years back a little closer to the jamboree time and there was equipment on the trail prepping it for the jamboree. If you go after the jamboree I'm sure the trail will be in better shape from all the rock stacking that went on.
68 J2000

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Thanks for the report!
Yeah, the Jamboree kinda dumbs-down the trail...

Fatbob309

Post by Fatbob309 »

Just got done running the trail last week. What a blast! The con is harder than what I thought it would be. Next time I do that trail it will be on 35's and with a locker. 31's open make it a little tough in a foolsize.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Fatbob309 wrote:Just got done running the trail last week. What a blast! The con is harder than what I thought it would be. Next time I do that trail it will be on 35's and with a locker. 31's open make it a little tough in a foolsize.
Did you get any body damage or other carnage?

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Sounds like there is a few peeps that would like to go but dont want to take their rig on the Rubicon, including me. Why don't we plan on doing some other, easier local trails for those who want to bring their rigs. I'm sure some of the local members would be happy to lead us.
Scott R.

Fatbob309

Post by Fatbob309 »

Blake wrote:
Did you get any body damage or other carnage?
Rockers are gone. Door got a few dents. Driver door is having a hard time opening. Broke a U bolt and killed a new (less than 4 days old) motor mount and that pulled the front driveshaft out.
Nothing too bad... Just that guy this time. I hate being that guy and spent a bunch of $ to make sure I wasn't that guy... it was just my time.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

srobertsfsj wrote:Sounds like there is a few peeps that would like to go but dont want to take their rig on the Rubicon, including me. Why don't we plan on doing some other, easier local trails for those who want to bring their rigs. I'm sure some of the local members would be happy to lead us.
Let's do it!

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

srobertsfsj wrote:Sounds like there is a few peeps that would like to go but dont want to take their rig on the Rubicon, including me. Why don't we plan on doing some other, easier local trails for those who want to bring their rigs. I'm sure some of the local members would be happy to lead us.
The Rubicon for me is a bucket list item that I will run in Brutus whether there are other FSJ's there or not doesn't really matter to me like it would in Ouray or ECI. I wouldn't mind having the option to do some local trails AFTER running the 'con with other FSJ's though. Maybe the scheduling should be Sunday-Wednesday on the 'con and Wednesday-Saturday on other trails.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If you bring Brutus out here you gotta run the full Fordyce trail. I find it tougher than the Rubicon in many places if your wheelbase is long (Like an FSJ) or short (Like my M38A1).
There are a pile of medium to moderate trails in the Sierra so selection is not limited.

One trip I've been wanting to make is the old Virginia City freight route from Marysville, CA.
It starts at the old docks, runs over the Sierra north of I-80 and comes into Verdi, NV. (Boomtown)
It would be great for light-moderate FSJ wheelers and family friendly.
Last edited by Tatsadasayago on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColeTrickle

Post by ColeTrickle »

I'm definitely subscribed to this. Whether I bring my Honcho, CJ7 or ride shotgun. This too is on the bucket.
'79 J10 Honcho
'75 J20
'74 J20
'66 J3000
'83 CJ7

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Slick rock is a really fun trail, its off HWY 4. I ran it in my JK with a 1.5" leveling kit and 31's with no problems. It is a rocky trail (hence the name). And you need a spotter in a few spots if you aren't on big tires. But at the end is Lake Utica, which has some awesome camp spots. Last time I ran it it was snowing, made it a lot more interesting.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

All good options. Maybe I will have to make it a two week trip and do everything suggested. Might as well considering the drive out there is 16+ hours of towing!

By all means keep posting up trails in the area.