Rubicon Trail Summer 2017

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Cheap Hobby

Re: Rubicon Trail Summer 2017

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Early spring before high school gets out, fewer look what I built in the garage last night toyota kids out and late summer early fall after school gets back in. First big run and getting bigger is Father's Day weekend.
Mid week is good bet unless it is the week before a large event, trail is crammed with prep crews and portions are closed while they helicopter in supplies, out houses and stage. It is a county road so the SO patrols and there is a volunteer crew that runs the trail like golf course marshals . The FS patrols the adjacent areas.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Cheap Hobby wrote:Early spring before high school gets out, fewer look what I built in the garage last night toyota kids out and late summer early fall after school gets back in. First big run and getting bigger is Father's Day weekend.
Mid week is good bet unless it is the week before a large event, trail is crammed with prep crews and portions are closed while they helicopter in supplies, out houses and stage. It is a county road so the SO patrols and there is a volunteer crew that runs the trail like golf course marshals . The FS patrols the adjacent areas.
Good stuff cheap hobby... Think you can/will join us?
'74 J30 with some upgrades

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Ultimate Adventure 2016 is running through the Rubicon right now!

Fatbob309

Post by Fatbob309 »

Working on my 81 Cherokee getting it ready for the Con. We leave on July 22nd. Going to wheel Sunday Mon Tues and camp tues night. Hit the road Wed to head back home.
Goal was 35's and a locker in the front. Ran out of $ fixing the tow rig so 31's open/open it is.

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

BRUTUS, I'm going to shoot for it got the interest of the mean woman today. If nothing else I'll make sure we have a guide or two and make my club host a feed. It's good to be pres.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Blake wrote:Ultimate Adventure 2016 is running through the Rubicon right now!
Cheap Hobby wrote:BRUTUS, I'm going to shoot for it got the interest of the mean woman today. If nothing else I'll make sure we have a guide or two and make my club host a feed. It's good to be pres.
Awesome on both accounts!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Fatbob309 wrote:Working on my 81 Cherokee getting it ready for the Con. We leave on July 22nd. Going to wheel Sunday Mon Tues and camp tues night. Hit the road Wed to head back home.
Goal was 35's and a locker in the front. Ran out of $ fixing the tow rig so 31's open/open it is.
Hope you have some rocker protection. Its going to be tough going with no lockers.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

willysdave

Post by willysdave »

I would not say the chances of someone getting severely hurt is very high. I own my FSJ to wheel with and I will be bringing it through the rubi. The gentleman who said he brought his Ramcharger through there several years ago maybe doesn't know about what they did the the rubi. within the last couple of years making the trail easier with tons of rock placed in certain areas. I am in for 2017, no doubt. Don't want to do it in spring, tons of snow .
1961 Willys Wagon, high compression 383 stroker,custom exhaust, TH400 w/stage two kit, Dana 300, Currie twin stick,LoMax 4:1,D60 front, 14 bolt rear, Discs, E brakes, hydro brakes, PSC hydro assist, ARBs,38 x 14.5 x 17 MTRKs on steel, 4 link front w/ King coilovers, Autometer Phanthom Gauges,Winters shifter, buckets ,old crappy paint with some rust and dents, just the way I like it ;)

will e

Post by will e »

Is my wide track too wide? I have one tons that are a couple of inches wider than normal wide tracks. I also have rocker protection but I think my lift and tires will mostly keep me from bashing them too much.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Hey Jason - I was talking to Bostonbob last night about a few things and he mentioned something about California law. I will post on Pirate for clarification, but he was saying that when you are towing a long trailer that LEO can ticket you for some reason.

Link to Pirate thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general- ... -rigs.html

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Blake wrote:Hey Jason - I was talking to Bostonbob last night about a few things and he mentioned something about California law. I will post on Pirate for clarification, but he was saying that when you are towing a long trailer that LEO can ticket you for some reason.
I work with a guy who has a 40ft trailer, he has never been ticketed, but he did have to get a class A license for it, as the trailer is just shy of 20,000lbs. You need a Class A license here if the trailer weight is over 15,000lbs. If the trailer is between 10k and 15k, you need an endorsement on your Class C.

But I have no clue how this applies to people from out of state.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Bob said the trailer weighs 4600lbs and I know the honcho weights 6k. I bet Brutus weights about the same, so let's go with 16k trailer weight.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Most states have a max length and combination weight limit for Non-Commercial class C drivers.
A Class C from any state, while operating in Cali limits you to:
26,000 total weight.
A 3 axle vehicle of 6,000 Lbs or less.
40' Housecar (Motorhome)
A trailer not exceeding 9000 Lbs. (This can be tricky since the DOT refers to travel trailers/coaches, but not utility trailers)
The commercial Class C simply allows you to carry placarded loads but requires a HAZMAT endorsement.
A non-commercial Class B would allow one to operate a 45 foot Housecar.

So, my advice would be to have a driver with a class A license or take the gamble with the DOT/Highway Patrol.
I just had a run-in with the DOT near Truckee, CA last week. I was pulling my brother's loaded 5th wheel coach with Dad's extended cab Dodge diesel. I was directed to pull into the DOT check station and run over the scales. The combination weighed 26,783 Lbs and total length was 47 Ft.
The DOT guy was all set to write me a couple of tickets until I showed him my Class A with double, triple and tanker endorsements.
I asked him what the fines would have been if I was a normal class C operator. He said 1000.00 for the overweight and 500.00 for the 7 feet over-length.

In most cases, you can get by without incident on your trip. The risk is the random check/stop or running across a Dudley Do-right type.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Brutus was 5500# last time I weighed it. The CTD is over 7000#.

Trailer weight would be 4600# + 5500# + 6000# = 16,100#
GCW = 23,100#

I think we will be fine. Not like we are driving up the coast or anything. We could even come in from the Tahoe side and never bring the trailer into Cali if we REALLY wanted to.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

BRUTUS wrote:Brutus was 5500# last time I weighed it. The CTD is over 7000#.

GCW = 23,100#

I think we will be fine. Not like we are driving up the coast or anything. We could even come in from the Tahoe side and never bring the trailer into Cali if we REALLY wanted to.

Wouldn't it be like this:

trailer = 4600
brutus = 5500
honcho =6000 (why does mine weight more???)
CTD = 7000
misc gear = 2000 ??

total = 25,100 lbs right?

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Blake wrote:
BRUTUS wrote:Brutus was 5500# last time I weighed it. The CTD is over 7000#.

GCW = 23,100#

Wouldn't it be like this:

trailer = 4600
brutus = 5500
honcho =6000 (why does mine weight more???)
CTD = 7000
misc gear = 2000 ??

total = 25,100 lbs right?
Yeah sure... I like to look at the KNOWN weights and have a KNOWN cushion to the regulations rather than guess at the MISC weight.

I am negotiating with the seller for this hitch http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/5659072840.html right now

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

sweet man. I'm really looking forward to loading up that cummins and seeing what it can do. I had two toyota 4x4's on my GN the other day and it pulled the guts out of the dually. I need a supercharger...

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

8V71 and Nitrous!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

BigJ200

Post by BigJ200 »

I'm looking forward to it. I love the Rubicon. We are taking 13 Jeeps down to the Jamboree in 4 weeks. I have informed our group that it will be a scene, man! And with hundreds of Jeeps, it will be fun and entertaining.

I typically like smaller well-equipped groups, but everyone should do the Jambo at least once. I've done it a few times and it is always fun.

Anyway, great info posted on this thread already. Really hoping to get a solid group and schedule organized for 2017.
American Vintage 4x4
"Where four wheel drives are a way of life"
www.AV4x4.com

BigJ200

Post by BigJ200 »

One other thing... If you are going next year, make sure your Jeep is in tip top mechanical condition. The worst thing for everyone is to spend the entire time working on and dragging someone's junk through the trail all because they didn't spend the time or money to fix known issues or maintain their rig. Anyone can break down. And we will support each other all the way. But just don't be "that guy" who has a bungee holding the battery in, hangers holding the exhaust on, a screw driver to jump the starter solenoid, and 4 different brands and sizes of tires. :D
American Vintage 4x4
"Where four wheel drives are a way of life"
www.AV4x4.com