Denver area class on back country communication

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Topic author
derf

Denver area class on back country communication

Post by derf »

There's a group putting on a free class on various radio types used in the back country. I think it's mostly going to focus on 2 meter ham radio but it should have some decent information. It's Saturday morning from 9-noon right near I-70 and I-225.

www.backcountrycomms.com

My long term plan is to add 2 meter radios to both my Truck and Wrangler. I might also look into the other types of radios or multipurpose radios as well.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

REDONE

Re: Denver area class on back country communication

Post by REDONE »

I use CB and GM/FRS but have been thinking about using 2m instead. I'm registered!
Last edited by REDONE on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
derf

Post by derf »

I am.
W0JPR

BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

I would love to attend but I can't. Let me know if there is another one coming up.
'74 J30 with some upgrades

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

BRUTUS wrote:I would love to attend but I can't. Let me know if there is another one coming up.
I'll let you know what I think of it afterwards. :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

ExplorerTom

Post by ExplorerTom »

I know the guy helping to put this class on. 2m ham is far superior to CB/FRS/smoke signals/carrier pigeons. I think I'd rather have a carrier pigeon than use my CB.

Every Wednesday night there is an open discussion on 146.550 around 7:30. The general theme is somewhat of a "prepper" theme. The last one I tuned in for the topic was: "you're given 30 minutes to leave your house, what do you take?" This topic was sparked because of when the National Guard flew into those communities effected by the floods of 2013, that's exactly what they told them. Why is 2m cool? Because I was listening to this in Highlands Ranch and hearing guys at least as far north as I-70. And I was listening on a $30 handheld with a $10 extended antenna. Try that with a CB or FRS. If you know how to hook into the repeater network, you can really extend your range.

Why is this important? Let's say you're deep in the backcountry and someone in your group gets badly hurt. Cell phones are worthless, CBs are a joke... the carrier pigeon might actually stand a chance.... but a ham radio could reach out to someone who could send help. Backcountry comms isn't just about talking to those in your group.

Topic author
derf

Post by derf »

ExplorerTom wrote:Why is this important? Let's say you're deep in the backcountry and someone in your group gets badly hurt. Cell phones are worthless, CBs are a joke... the carrier pigeon might actually stand a chance.... but a ham radio could reach out to someone who could send help. Backcountry comms isn't just about talking to those in your group.
That's exactly why I want to add 2m to my vehicles.
W0JPR

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I've never even heard of the 2m radios until recently when Brutus was using one (I think).

I always use FRS because IMHO it's better for 'wheeling.

But now that we have sooo many different options, the only realistic thing to do is have all three (plus whatever else comes out)

2m
FRS
CB

(I have multiple 'wheeling rigs and it sounds like I need to invest a ton of $$$ into populating each of them with all the options)

BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Blake wrote:I've never even heard of the 2m radios until recently when Brutus was using one (I think).

I always use FRS because IMHO it's better for 'wheeling.

But now that we have sooo many different options, the only realistic thing to do is have all three (plus whatever else comes out)

2m
FRS
CB

(I have multiple 'wheeling rigs and it sounds like I need to invest a ton of $$$ into populating each of them with all the options)
I bought my HAMM radios through Amazon for around $30 each and they are portable so you don't need to populate all rigs with them... just move them.

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Band-Improve ... ge_o04_s00

There is also a test you are supposed to take to be on a HAMM radio and I will get to it eventually.

Oh and I think I spent just south of $100 to put my CB in Brutus.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

I am a belt and suspenders guy. So, I have CB, 2m, 70cm, and 6m.

CB (11m wavelength) is super common but it is AM (amplitude modulation) resulting in poor quality audio, only 4W legally limiting range, and you often get interference from illegal high power stations or did to skip. The latter occurs on lower frequency (higher wavelength) radio interacting with the ionosphere at night (you can look up more details) and allows for (unreliable) long distance communication.

My hunting buddies insist on FRS/GMRS which is portable and good for a couple miles. I don't know if it is FM or AM but probably the latter because audio quality isn't great. There are lots of channels plus codes to further filter out busy airwaves (they aren't a security feature though). My biggest beefs with them is that I have tried many radios and few seem to be capable of the advertised range. Also the radios I have used all seem to cut off the first part of whatever I say. Maybe they have a delay in transmitting after you press the PTT. I can't count the number of times we have had to retransmit to be able to understand each other.

2m is super common among amateur radio operators. The voice bands are frequency modulation. Many more frequencies exist. Power for handheld is usually 5W with low power modes and around 40-50W for mobile installations meaning the range is quite good. The audio is usually crystal clear, and there is rarely any issue with intelligibility. By far the greatest advantage? Repeaters! In Colorado, a large number of repeaters are linked, called the Colorado Connection. I can be at home and talk to someone in Durango, for example. There are Hams that are part of emergency communications groups and volunteer in diaasters-- like the floods we had in CO awhile back.

70cm and 6m have all the same advantages. They are less popular. 6m least of all. But 6m has both repeaters and long enough wavelength to skip.

The lower frequencies are less affected by stuff in the way (trees etc) while higher frequencies are more sensitive and like less obstructed line of sight.

You need an higher level test to get a license for 10m and up bands but these are the go-to for long distance (DX) communication. And with FM, SSB, and Morse code, you can really reach far. But I don't think it'd be super helpful to talk to some random guy in Ohio while you are stuck freezing on a mountain in your dead Jeep :)

CB is used widely by wheelers but I would love to see more hams and their radios on the trail because they provide more reliable, clearer voice communication and much wider range in an emergency (cell coverage isn't 100%... yet...).

It's not like the test is that hard. The FCC gives you the questions and answers ahead of time and it is multiple choice.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

I have a Yaesu FTM-400DR mobile radio in the truck. It is 2m/70cm but its best feature is APRS. It has a built-in GPS so at any time during my rat-killin' anyone who knows my call sign can look me up on the internet on the right website and see where my last "ping" was (just don't tell my wife). Also it has a group monitor function that will allow anyone else with a radio with the same functions to group together and we can see information like how far away they are, what direction they are in...you know if someone gets lost....:)

There is a whole forum dedicated to 4x4 trail comms...www.4x4ham.com
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

shimniok wrote:It's not like the test is that hard. The FCC gives you the questions and answers ahead of time and it is multiple choice.
This is why it is so fun to mess with you about it! :P

bigun

Post by bigun »

REDONE wrote:I use CB and GM/FRS but have been thinking about using 2m instead. I'm registered!
twenty years ago I found myself in a situation where the need to communicate that we were OK just running late coming home from fishing in CO. I had my friend's ten year old daughter with me, when we made it in to say the least mom and step dad were mildly worried, whats more they had contacted another friend who was in the process of loading his Ram Charger to come out and find us, it was at that time I decided to get serious about acquiring my ham license. Back then you had to learn code to get your license the ten year old attended classes with me and we had consecutive licenses. Over the years I have used it for road directions, away to keep me alert on long trips and yes away to call home to let family members know I was OK. I don't use it as much these days with cell phones being so cheap and towers in most places I roam, but it is in my go bag if needed. Radios are much cheaper now so I say go for it, also invest in a tower book. My favorite freq. in the Denver area was 145.145 there used to be a group of guys who got on every night and just gabbed there was everybody from retired priest to a UPS driver who came down from Wy. every night.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I found it is a good idea to have a multi-band, multi mode radio in the jeep.
The ICOM 706 Mk II G (Unlocked) was my first modern mobile radio and it was very capable on HF, VHF and UHF.
I ran a High Sierra screwdriver for HF through 6 meters and a second dual band VHF/UHF vertical.
It came in very handy several times where I was able to talk with CBrs, FMRS/GMRS users and fellow hams while out in the boonies. I've spoken with law enforcement and Fire/EMS when the situation was dire as well as keeping my family informed about my status while in the middle of nowhere Nevada.
The Co Connection, cactus, condor and evergreen intertie were great for getting into a certain area before the D-Star systems came online.
My favorite band for the daytime was 40 meters which provided good coverage out to about 300 miles and mostly coast to coast at night.

I'm glad to see you guys promoting backwoods communications and showing people how beneficial a ham license can be.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Ok so if I'm up in gilpin without cell service and I break something. How likley would it be for me to actually make contact with the outside world using ham?

I've thought about it in the past and it seems to me I would need to have a base station at home to be sure I could get help. And I don't think my parents would be up for the whole antenna on the roof and radio in the living room thing. It seems more practical to buy a spot messenger and have a few friends capable of rendering assistance.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

bigun

Post by bigun »

Nikkormat wrote:Ok so if I'm up in gilpin without cell service and I break something. How likley would it be for me to actually make contact with the outside world using ham?

I've thought about it in the past and it seems to me I would need to have a base station at home to be sure I could get help. And I don't think my parents would be up for the whole antenna on the roof and radio in the living room thing. It seems more practical to buy a spot messenger and have a few friends capable of rendering assistance.
. No base station needed at home unless you want to talk at home a simple mag mount antenna on a pizza pan will work for 2 meter at home. As always radio communications depend on your line of site to repeater in the case of 2 meter. Tatsadasayago mentioned having a multiband rig so that you can go to HF if need be. When I was traveling I ran a radio shack 10 meter and an Icom 221 2 meter. Of course using HF bands for communication you may end up talking to someone in another state or even country, but you'll find that Hams are resourceful when a message is needed to sent

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

So in the two days I've given ham radio serous consideration I'm actually pretty enthusiastic about APRS. Due to the helter skelter unorganized nature of our invasions it looks like a great way to know who's on what trail.

EDIT: For other recent vets/active ground forces, it looks like civilian version of BFT.
Last edited by REDONE on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Whatever you guys want to adopt, I will follow.

Don't know if I'll be able to do the class though.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Nikkormat wrote:Whatever you guys want to adopt, I will follow.

Don't know if I'll be able to do the class though.
Don't worry about it too much, I think GMRS/FRS is going to be the standard trial comms for us for quite a while. Those are the cheap two-packs that claim "20 mile range walkie talkies!", and everybody has spares to loan out.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Here is an example of radio saving the day:
I was rolling down the highway in the Big Hole Valley in Montna, about 65 miles from anything resembling a town.
Ahead of me was a tanker truck and a motorcycle passed me about the same time the tanker slowed down very fast to make a turn. The bike slammed into the tanker hard enough to tear a hole in the tank...spilling some sort of yellow liquid. (I found out later it was a mixture for spraying the dirt roads for dust).
The rider ended up on the pavement next to the tanker. I jumped out and began checking the rider for injuries.
His chief complaint was his leg hurting really bad. After checking the rest of him and immobilizing his cervical spine I looked at his leg. He was wearing a thick yellow rain suit and there were no holes in it, but I soon noted blood draining from the pants cuff.
I cut the suit away and found a compound fracture of his femur and LOTS of bleeding. His BP was dropping and he was going in and out of shock.
I directed the truck driver to keep direct finger pressure on the femoral artery at the groin and went to the jeep to call for help.
I had the ICOM 706, tuner, 102" steel whip and a dual band 2m/440 vertical at the time. I tried several distant 2m repeaters and could get one to break squelch but the ham who responded couldn't understand me due to the weak signal.
I jumped on 20 meters phone and declared a medical emergency and could anyone help. A ham from Georgia (N7NHS) heard my call and took the information. He called the local county Sheriff who contacted LifeFlight and the Montana highway patrol.
We had the rider stabilized and the helicopter was on scene within 30 minutes of the Sheriff's call.
If EMS had arrived even 15 minutes later the rider would likely have died due to the huge amount of blood loss.

Saving that rider's life made the effort and expense for the license and equipment worth it in spades.
If the operator knows about radio wave propagation and how it changes throughout the year, he can get the call through with even minimal equipment.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation