Mama's ride '67 Wagoneer 1.9L TDI

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

FSJ Guy

Re: Mama's ride '67 Wagoneer 1.9L TDI

Post by FSJ Guy »

Very interesting thread. Not sure how I missed it. Are there stand alone wiring harnesses for the TDI motors? I know my gas VR6 and V8 motors are all tied into the CAN bus system. I'm curious how that is sorted out. A TDI FSJ is awesome, though!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
eggman918

Post by eggman918 »

My plan is to use either a VW VE mechanical pump or a VE from a Cummins 4BT with the 11mm head from the ETDI pump I have so it will be all mechanical, I just cant see adding all that electronics to a '67.
Also I've learned the VE pump inside out and....electronics and I don't work and play well together.
But there is a guy on 4btswaps that will take your engine ECU and harness and mod it to suit your specific application IIRC he told me that you must have a throttle position sensor, crank position sensor and a manifold pressure sensor can't recall if there was any others for ~$450.00.
The biggest drawback to the ETDI for me is tuning as that is all in the ECU so I would need to pay someone else for any tuning needed and with the compounds I plan to use I expect to do a fair amount of it before I get to where I'll need to be. Living at 5,000' and with most destinations from here being higher than that I'm pushing things and surge could become an issue,I'v spent so much time with the 4BT in my Ford that I can make tune changes to the VE in minutes with my eyes closed ;)
1967 Wagoneer soon to be TDI powered
1968 F-250 CrewCab Cummins 4BT, ZF-5, NP 203/205,TruTrac's front/rear.

Topic author
eggman918

Post by eggman918 »

I'm thinking my best bet is to find a '86'is up and take the axles and poly tank...if it will fit the '67's frame and spare available.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Stuka wrote:I am actually not sure. 80+ is a poly tank. 79 and older are steel. My 75's didn't have any rust on it, but then I live on the west coast.
Given the amount of rust on most of the pre '79 metal tanks I've seen, I doubt they are galvanized. Front axle direct swap in will depend on whether the '67 is SUA or SOA factory.
eggman918 wrote:I'm thinking my best bet is to find a '86'is up and take the axles and poly tank...if it will fit the '67's frame and spare available.
Will the diesel be mounted on an angle or straight up? Postal Jeeps DJ5-Gs (78ish-80) with the 2.0L VW/Audi/Porsche 924 motor were laid over like a Dodge slant six and came with a VW/Audi specific 904 auto. I can't remember if they did the same with the Gremlins that came with the motor and the weak SR4 trans.

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/carnuck/ ... J5-G/story

I was going to swap it out with either a 924 fuel injected version or an Audi 5 cyl turbo diesel they used in the VW vanagons outside the US.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

carnuck wrote:Given the amount of rust on most of the pre '79 metal tanks I've seen, I doubt they are galvanized. Front axle direct swap in will depend on whether the '67 is SUA or SOA factory.
All wagoneers are spring under. Only J-Trucks were spring over for 73 and older.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I wasn't sure if they had the post style in the '70 and earlier wags with the springs outside the frame or not. If the spring spacing is the same, then that makes it easier for axle swaps.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

carnuck wrote:I wasn't sure if they had the post style in the '70 and earlier wags with the springs outside the frame or not. If the spring spacing is the same, then that makes it easier for axle swaps.
The early wags have shorter front springs, but they are under the frame.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ATXJeep

Post by ATXJeep »

Been a while... any updates on the project?

Topic author
eggman918

Post by eggman918 »

Very little,we still need to build a shop.........and a few other things.
I have figured out how to build a MTDI pump that will work wit parts I already have.I'm using the 11mm head and camplate assy. from the ETDI
the advance assy. from a 1.6 VW pump and the rest will be a VE from a 6BT bus engine :o as it turns out internally all VE's are the same dimensions.
I hope to get a shop up this summer............as it is I'm struggling to keep up on maintenance on the rigs we use daily so new construction is on hold,
I'm lucky as it is i have all my machine tools,hand tools.....ect. in a 13x17 building that also houses our well so things are dry but it's tight

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Glad to see it moving forward, slow but sure.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)