68 Gladiator-Cummins+6spd, some 1 ton fun!

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
Mudbull

68 Gladiator-Cummins+6spd, some 1 ton fun!

Post by Mudbull »

Hello everyone, Coming over from IFSJA I figured id start by trying to fill everyone in on this long ongoing project of mine. I had a lot posted on IFSJA (some on Cummins forum too) but ill be brief:

A few years ago i bought a 68 kaiser Gladiator as a project for $500, i knew i was going to do an engine swap in the rebuild but didnt know what. I decided on doing a diesel swap because ive never touched one before...Long, long story short i found a 96 Ram 3500 with a Cummins as a donor...then my daily driver got totalled so the kaiser project got pushed back and the Cummins became my daily driver. I blew the auto transmission in the Cummins, then found an NV5600 to take its place. Now that my car is on the road again, the Kaiser project is well underway and everyone should be caught up with no gaps in the storyline whatsoever :D ...

Mostly pasting from my cummins forum thread (i knew there was a reason i tried to keep multiple threads current haha):

96 ram 3500-275k miles, automatic, 4x4, all stock.
The nv5600 had sat at the sellers for a few months, so it was full of mud and leaves. I used about 5 gallons of diesel in a weed sprayer to clean it all out. It does however look clean, and apparently was rebuild 40k miles ago. I drove it for 10k miles before the swap could happen, im replacing some blocker rings and all the bearings just in case.

A friend had a spare frame that we shortened to 120" wheelbase.
Last edited by Mudbull on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins
6spd, D60 Front, D80 Rear

Topic author
Mudbull

Re: 68 Gladiator-Cummins+6spd, some 1 ton fun!

Post by Mudbull »

...Moving right along with the pics...
Fixing rust on the cab.

It was pretty nerve wracking having 1800lbs of iron at eye level.

I got a great deal on a 100gal fuel tank im going to break up to work.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

...almost up to date: To properly position the cab/drivetrain into the shortened Ram frame such that the front fenders are centered over the front axle the motor mounts were moved back 6". New engine/trans mounts out of 1/4" steel plate and 2x2 3/16" wall tubing. The Rams body mounts were reused; the brackets were mounted onto the frame such that the stock mount points on the cab can be used.

How we made sure the new mounts were properly aligned:

Had a bit of an issue when removing the trans from the engine: I thought i remembered the engine being back heavy when i replaced the trans, it is definatly front heavy though...Nothing was hurt-one fan blade was barely bent, considering replacing the harmonic balancer to be safe, but it doesnt even have a mark on it

Cab mounts welded into stock kaiser locations

Taking a 96' Ram bed floor, fitting 57' Ford bedsides, and making it look 'stock' with the fuel tank sitting in between the cab and bed:
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Pressure washed the grease off and began to repaint it, will be repainting things like the intake, valve covers and injector lines off the engine.

The cab interior was painted and put on the frame to check for clearance issues. NO firewall modifications have been made (although they wouldve greatly helped)
Im going to have to run an electric fan and water to air intercooler with the minimal space in front of the engine.

I also tigged up the hole in my now 50gal fuel tank, but didnt take any pics-its 95% finished...
Last edited by Mudbull on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Now the latest pics: My dad finished up what i started in modifying the dash so the 8 gauges will hopefully fit behind the steering column (glovebox door shortened several inches, dash controls removed).
Inner fenders mocking up, need to cut them up for the water to air intercooler, and rearrange hopefully to fit two batteries somewhere.
Last edited by Mudbull on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

billyrb
Vendor

Post by billyrb »

looks like a cool build!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Great looking build so far! Was the Jeep bed too far gone? The Ford beds work, but are a lot taller. Should be a hell of a truck once finished!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Thanks guys!
The truck bed was beyond repair, sides were o.k. but the top angle was rusted thru in a lot of places. I originally though that the bed was from a different truck, id never seen a kaiser with a thriftside bed and it looked out of place. With the taller Ford sides i think it flows a lot better; the fenders are going to be widened to match the front wheel wells too. The bed floor if i hadnt said is from the Ram and bolts up in stock locations.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Heres most of this weekends updates: We test fitted the hood to see if there are any clearance issuse, and there are none. The intake elbow is closest with 1" to spare (may be making a new one depending on where the intercooler lays). Its gunna look real good with 6" more tire underneath it (37's vs 31's) if i say so myself...

I fitted the stock ram vacuum brake assembly to see if it fit-it does suprisingly well except for the stock fuel filter. Were going to keep the vacuum booster and relocate/upgrade the filter setup.

I took the transmission apart further. We are replacing some synchros that didnt feel too great, chipped 6th gear (countershaft) as well as all the bearings (some show scour marks, some are well worn and were probably never replaced on the previous owners rebuild). Our 20 ton press wouldnt budge the pressed gears; the rumors are true- you need at least a 50 ton press to do the job, so a local shop will be doing the work on the countershaft. The mainshaft is just getting new bearings, so that was part of tonight and tomorrows work.

Finally, did some small work piecing and rattle-canning the engine back into one piece.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Glad to see your thread over here. Subscribed. Still working on getting mine over.

Resbum
Originally Posted by Resbum
"What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 290#p18290

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Same to you Resbum!

Today was a long day spent with the dremel for me: 3hrs to get the input bearing off and the race for the mainshaft bearing out from inside the input. I notched the bearing race and cracked it to get it out-without even knicking the input anywhere.

My dad painted the dash last night and assembled it this morning

Im hoping that next weekend ill be able to reassemble the transmission and properly shim the shafts. Were also hoping to get the water to air intercooler into the fenders and decide on where to put the batteries.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Mudbull wrote:Same to you Resbum!

...and decide on where to put the batteries.
Mudbull wrote:...Mind if I pick your brain a bit? I looked through your other thread to try and see where you put your batteries, are they inside the cab? Im thinking of doing one in the stock location and one behind the seats where the stock fuel tank went..
Here you go, Mudball.

Post #122 from the IFSJA thread. I really don’t have a choice about the batteries mounting locations with all the stuff now installed in the front of my engine compartment. To be honest, I cringe at the idea of having a battery in a passenger compartment. Also, ideally battery cables should be a short as possible. Especially if there's going to be high current demands such as a winch, etc..

After referring to a bunch of pictures, including these two, and taking a bunch of measurements today, I've decided to mount my batteries inboard of the hood hinges long-ways facing forward. (2) Deka 727MF's weigh 100lbs and I'd rather have that weight behind the axle instead of in front of it. Especially since the truck may have a HD bumper and winch in its future. I'm going to have to notch the inboard backside of the inner wheelwells a little, but tire clearance won't be a problem at all. Between the spring under frame conversion and extra 1/2 inch of body clearance I've gained 6 1/4 inches of lift. Actually, more like 3 1/4 inches of tire clearance since I'll be running 35" tires.

By moving the heater under the dash I've freed up the passenger side of all components. The battery will go where the heater motor use to be and the downpipe will go where the heater core use to be. I'll just make sure there's a good heat barrier between them. I pulled out my hydroboost and some pictures of hydroboost installs and made sure there's room on the driver’s side. The new wire harness will most likely come through the firewall in the old wiper motor hole and get routed appropriately. Nothing else comes through the firewall where the battery is going to sit.
"What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 290#p18290

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Thanks for digging through your thread resbum, i mustve blown past it...We thought about the location(s) your going with, but my dads concern was trying to lift the batteries up into place between the fender, hood, and hood hinge.
With a water-air intercooler taking up fender space, and the huge vacuum booster on the drivers side im low on options. Thinking out loud Im not too worried about weight, the Ram had the batteries all the way up front and im sure ive cut a lot of weight off the nose anyways (and moved the engine 7" back). My shock towers are also a lot higher then yours, but maybe i can make a box over it...

Thanks again for the ideas
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

No worries. Glad to help. We're all in this together and I raid other peoples ideas every chance I get. :-bd

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

They werent cheap, but the best deal i could find anywhere for gauges of any brand were Speedhut. I gave them a call and they said they can wire the tach to work with the stock cummins pickup and change the range to be at diesel friendly levels (0-4000) with no foreseeable additional charges. The gauge faces were all 'customized' to match. The EGT, Boost gauges have warning lights as well as max recalls for EGT, Boost, and RPM..They also have a lifetime guarantee on the electrical components so i see no reason not to give them a try. cant wait to see them in person
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Wow. Very nice. It sounds like they're a good business to deal with. That was the biggest barrier I hit. Getting all the gauges to match. And yours have a lot of nice recall and warning features. :-bd

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Mudbull, that's one cool dash idea. I never thought of widening the cluster and getting rid of (or relocating) the heat controls! That's cool.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

ross80truck
Vendor

Post by ross80truck »

An easier way to get these out next time, or any bearing race that you cannot get to the back side of is to weld a bead all the way around the inside of the race. This causes the race to shrink and most of the times the race will fall right out. If that does not work, make a slide hammer and weld it to the race. Never had one not come out this way. Saves a lot of time on the die grinder. You are a better man than I though. I would have nicked it a bunch trying to get it out that way.

Also, love the dash. I may have to contact them for my gauges.
Priorities
1. God
2. Wife ( Sarah )
3. Children ( Lane & Dirk )
4. Work
5. Jeep

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!

85 Wagoneer, 6bt, NV4500, Black Box, NP205, D60 front, Corp 14 rear http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1446
76 Cherokee Chief - Cheap Build - SOLD http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2605
81 Jeep Scrambler http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 301#p97301

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Thanks a lot guys for the compliments! Ill be sure to keep the gauge situation updated, so far no news is good news im thinking! i anticipate it to take a week or so since the gauges need to be put together instead of just being shipped off.

ross80truck, i was a little reluctant to weld on the race because i didnt want to get the gear too hot around the race. I tried tigging a rod onto the race to leaverage it out towards the end, but couldnt get a solid enough weld while keeping the heat down...ill definatly try your method next time im in that situation though.

I wish i could show/tell more progress but im in the final three week push before im (finally) out of college with my engineering degree. Im not sure of the next time ill be down, but ill have a full week down home to work on the truck before i start my job full time.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Mudbull wrote:....I wish i could show/tell more progress but im in the final three week push before im (finally) out of college with my engineering degree.

Now, that is cool. Congrats, and the truck can definitely be set aside for a few weeks to meet that life accomplishment.

Resbum