Stock tank and sender ok for diesel?

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
Billybob535

Stock tank and sender ok for diesel?

Post by Billybob535 »

I am collecting parts to build a 76-83 4 door narrow track waggy or cherokee with an OM606 turbo diesel, NV4500, and NP208. I was discussing this with someone and they questioned if the stock gas tank and sender would be ok with diesel.

Anyone here who has converted to diesel have any issues using the stock tank and sending unit?

I know I will have to drain all the gas and I plan to replace all rubber lines. Anything else to know?

Thanks

Adventure_Wagon88

Re: Stock tank and sender ok for diesel?

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Are you using a poly tank or metal? A galvanized tank is no good for diesel. A carbon steel tank is fine but I wouldn't want one. Not sure if any of the old tanks were galvanized inside or not. Keep in mind that diesel gets quite frothy when agitated, so that could be a concern if your return line creates a lot of splashing. I am building a diesel wagoneer and installing a tank in the spare tire area, ditching the stock tank. My material choice will be Stainless, Aluminum, or Poly, in that order. I will most likely use a late model XJ poly tank to start and see how that works for me. Then I will either buy a nice Genright Offroad extended range XJ tank, or build my own out of Stainless or Aluminum. Lines and fittings will of course be all Stainless, and rated for diesel fuel on the flexible bits.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If your chassis is an 80+, it will have a poly tank stock, and that should work fine. And I am not sure if the stock tank is galvanized or not. Mine never had any rust on them, but then I also live in california.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Billybob535

Post by Billybob535 »

Stuka wrote:If your chassis is an 80+, it will have a poly tank stock, and that should work fine.
Can the 80-83 poly tank be easily swapped into a 76-79?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

It can be swapped in. But the mounts are all different.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

I just installed a MTS 0020 poly tank for a 70-77 Wagoneer in my '78. Mounted up like it was supposed to, replacement brackets and all. Well, I had to add some rubber hose as a shim to the strap and the upper mounting surface on the underside of the Jeep to take up the slack and keep the sending unit connector from being squeezed. I got the earlier tank so I could use the larger fill opening.

I put the rest of it together by swapping in the fill neck from a 74(?). All the hose and fittings came from fillernecksupply.com (great resource btw). They even have a rollover valve I'll be putting on the vent line.
'78 Waggy: 401/QT pulling the rust down the road. 6.2L +turbo waiting in the wings.