Gearing up for 4BT Swap...Questions on what accessories to swap now

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Gearing up for 4BT Swap...Questions on what accessories to swap now

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

I bought my GW with the intention of swapping it to a 4BT. I know the 360 is not long for this world and I don't trust it to get me anywhere with a deadline, but while I collect parts and wait for the right engine to come along, I figure I might as well swap out a few major things that can benefit me now, and once I've swapped to the 4BT. The main things I am looking at which need to be swapped out ASAP and would need to be part of the engine swap anyway are as follows:

Battery
Battery cables
Radiator
Fuel tank
Hydro Boost

I am looking for recommendations on any and all of these parts!
I have owned an Optima Yellow top in the past and it was great, but that was years ago and I know a lot of people say they went down hill since then. Planning to keep the battery in the stock location, are there any good vehicles to look for in the salvage yards for cables?
Is a radiator for the 360 going to be good, or is it actually too big for the 4BT?
I am probably looking at a XJ or ZJ fuel tank swap--definitely something that goes in the spare tire area but I don't care if it hangs down a bit as long as I can fab a decent skid for it.
Planning to pull a hydro boost setup from a Chevy 2500 or 3500 pickup, any specific years I should look for?

eggman918

Re: Gearing up for 4BT Swap...Questions on what accessories to swap now

Post by eggman918 »

The radiator will serve well,battery cables should be 2/0 unless the run is extremely long then I would go larger
1967 Wagoneer soon to be TDI powered
1968 F-250 CrewCab Cummins 4BT, ZF-5, NP 203/205,TruTrac's front/rear.

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Thanks Eggman! I think I will save my pennies for one of the nicer all welded Aluminum ones BJ's sells for around $500 unless someone would try to steer me away from that. I'd read on 4BT swaps about the 2/0 battery cables. Just planning a single battery for now, in the stock location so those should work fine then. Same spot on 4BT swaps saw 800 CCA or better for the battery, sound correct?

eggman918

Post by eggman918 »

I think 800 is correct but more is better if it gets cold where you will be operating as the grid heaters draw a LOT and they do it when you will also be cranking it..$.02
1967 Wagoneer soon to be TDI powered
1968 F-250 CrewCab Cummins 4BT, ZF-5, NP 203/205,TruTrac's front/rear.