Has anyone done a 7.3 powerstroke conversion

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
2326davis@gmail.com

Has anyone done a 7.3 powerstroke conversion

Post by 2326davis@gmail.com »

I recently purchased a 79 Jeep Cherokee and don't quite know where to start. I pulled the cab off of the frame and am currently working on taking the rest of the frame. I would love to be able to afford a Cummins but I can pick up a Ford 7.3 Di Turbo Power Stroker for $1200 too $2000 all day. I need to know if I can fit the 7.3 in which seems more than doable but also any technical tips anybody can give me.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone done a 7.3 powerstroke conversion

Post by Stuka »

Well, like most large diesels, weight is a major issue. The front axle will be over its rated weight, the frame needs to be reinforced, and you will significantly raise your center of gravity.

Outside of these, I would see if you can track down its dimensions. And then you need to figure out what trans and t-case you will run.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
2326davis@gmail.com

I fully understand needing stronger axles which is why I'm looking for a donor truck Ford F-350 or Dodge 2500 series or 3500 series.

What type of reinforcements to the frame will I need to do. The whole front quarter of the frame is boxed in are we talking reinforcing the center frame on both sides of the transmission or will I need to put some type of crossmember in around the engine.

The application of the vehicle once finished will be for my wife and I to travel the US in a beautiful updated classic while towing a trailer no more than 5 - 6000 pounds

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

In addition to one ton axles, my plans are beef up the front and rear cross members, add an engine cross member and tie the frame together through the chassis with an interior roll bar and rocker guards/sliders. That should increase the stiffness and safety. I just don't trust the factory a-pillar and the sliders will help with side impacts.

I don't believe the frame is boxed all the way back. I dont have it here at the moment or I would go look. There is quite a bit of lateral flex in the stock frame as well. There is a build up here somewhere where the owner eliminated most of this flex through reinforcements. I will try to find the thread a link it.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Topic author
2326davis@gmail.com

You should post some pictures!!! This is my first restoration and could use some great ideas!! Your right the frame is not boxed all the way back. The frame boxing ends about the transmission mount. It would be great is you could link that thread!

Here is a pic of the rear of the frame. I was thinking about boxing the entire frame though I'm not sure if boxing it will give the frame the strength is needs.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

This is the thread, but looks like his photos are currently broken :(

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1651
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Post by 243 »

2326davis@gmail.com wrote:I fully understand needing stronger axles which is why I'm looking for a donor truck Ford F-350 or Dodge 2500 series or 3500 series.

What type of reinforcements to the frame will I need to do. The whole front quarter of the frame is boxed in are we talking reinforcing the center frame on both sides of the transmission or will I need to put some type of crossmember in around the engine.

The application of the vehicle once finished will be for my wife and I to travel the US in a beautiful updated classic while towing a trailer no more than 5 - 6000 pounds

There is a member on FSJN that dropped his FSJ on a 1/2 ton late model Dodge 4x4 frame and retained the full drivetrain, I don't know if he finished but it sure looked like it was going to be a very nice finished produce. Edit: here is the thread,

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8050

Using a Ford PS donor rolling chassis, in my opinion would save you so much work, I even considered using a First Generation Dodge 2500 for my Cherokee but got the LSx bug.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I won like to see this swap. I would look at shortening the donor frame and dropping the Cherokee on it. Either way do your thing.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I'm with 243. I would try and fit the Cherokee body to the Ford frame. Shortning the frame to fit the Cherokee body sounds easier to do. I may be wrong but I would go that route if I was considering this. Keep us posted. I'd like to see this done.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

JustinMer

Has anyone done a 7 3 powerstroke conversion

Post by JustinMer »

Nice looking build. I had to cut my grip nut hole, otherwise it was easier than my .223 conversion.
See Reddit