6BT + G-Wag Build

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
tgdoumit

6BT + G-Wag Build

Post by tgdoumit »

i guess i should say that this is the very beginnings of my 6bt swap. my main goal besides a well thought out swap would be to have an all together great rig that i can use as a daily driver and tow with also a few time a year.

the rigs that i am starting with are:

1984 grand wagoneer that is a good runner and is great to drive aside from some electrical issues. it needs a bunch of work in the interior and only has a small section of footwell that needs a patch.

1996 dodge ram 2500 which has been totaled in a head on accident. there seems to be no real damage to anything important concerning my use of the frame for this project. i am the second and fourth owner of this truck :D

things of concern to me at this point:
- engine vs. available space... i have seen a few threads here and there when the fella notched the fire wall. to me this seems to be a good idea. some others installed a body lift to ease things along and i bet some have done a little of both...
- shortening the frame... this doesn't seem to bother me as much as it probably should. this one i am sort of eager to try my hand at.

at his point i am scrapping and parting out what i can on the dodge and will be doing the same to the wagoneer. this in itself will pay for both rigs as i really got a swell deal on both.

i declare that this rig will not be a wheeler. i have two built jeeps that are more than capable to do pretty much anything i want. like i said above, daily driver and a tow rig a few times a year.

the 3/4 ton frame and running gear should make towing 7k less of a problem. i like the bigger brakes and the overall strength of that get-up...

how bout a couple pix?

ImageImage

ImageImage

i like the really great builds here that display craftsmanship and attention to every detail us mere mortals never realize... i would love to do this and will try to accomplish something that i won't be afraid to take out of the garage in fear of seagulls and porcupines (it still has to look slick tho!)

well that's it for now.
drive safely!!
Tim :)
84 grand Wagoneer
97 TJ
92 XJ

surfwagoneer

Re: 6BT + G-Wag Build

Post by surfwagoneer »

I look forward to watching this. I love to see the diesel conversions and hope to do one of my own some day. Great score by the way, I'm assuming p-pumped? Any plans to build the engine at all or just swap it into the wagoneer?
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I thought hard about taking a donor Dodge frame and power train and going 6BT. I think it is a good way to go if you tow and don't want to wheel. Hopefully the swap goes well for you. I am interested in seeing your work on the Dodge frame, to make the Waggy sit on top. Best of luck to you in your build.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Topic author
tgdoumit

Post by tgdoumit »

surfwagoneer wrote:I look forward to watching this. I love to see the diesel conversions and hope to do one of my own some day. Great score by the way, I'm assuming p-pumped? Any plans to build the engine at all or just swap it into the wagoneer?
I'm just going to swap it over to keep prices down at this time. upgrades whenever something needs to be replaced in the future.
84 grand Wagoneer
97 TJ
92 XJ

Topic author
tgdoumit

Post by tgdoumit »

Pablo wrote:I thought hard about taking a donor Dodge frame and power train and going 6BT. I think it is a good way to go if you tow and don't want to wheel. Hopefully the swap goes well for you. I am interested in seeing your work on the Dodge frame, to make the Waggy sit on top. Best of luck to you in your build.
thanks, its been done and if it doesn't go right i do have a plan "B" :)
i really hope i can make it work good, safety for mine and others on the highway means a lot to me.
84 grand Wagoneer
97 TJ
92 XJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I keep eyeballing my Dad's 01 CTB 4x4 pondering how a frame-shortening and body swap would work out.
The electronics/components move wouldn't be so bad but there are a few things that I can see being problematic.

Steering. Getting the steering shaft to meet up with the jeep column. His shaft exits the firewall much higher than mine so a bit of juggling would be in order.

Instruments/dash/HVAC. I wonder what others do in this area?

Firewall. I would imagine the jeep firewall would have to move back a bit. Cutting it out, moving straight back then adding sheet-metal filler sections would be the ticket I think.

Batteries. Hmmm. Custom trays behind the core support?

It's all theory at this point anyway since Dad keeps chasing me off when I spend too much time staring at his pickup with greedy eyes...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Good deal Tim. Kevin was saying he was going to swap a Wagoneer body on a shortened Dodge diesel frame. I think it's the say to go for a tow rig. Looking forward to seeing it!
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author
tgdoumit

Post by tgdoumit »

I'd like to see how it's done Paul. If there is a write up please let me know.
84 grand Wagoneer
97 TJ
92 XJ

Eugene 1

Post by Eugene 1 »

not a lot of space and you may have to use a suspension lift to clear the oil pan..but if you are looking at shortening the Ram frame then disregard! :D

Topic author
tgdoumit

Post by tgdoumit »

thanks for the reply! ill definitely go through your pics and study them.
84 grand Wagoneer
97 TJ
92 XJ

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Eugene 1 wrote:not a lot of space and you may have to use a suspension lift to clear the oil pan..but if you are looking at shortening the Ram frame then disregard! :D

Hey Eugene, what is the current status on your build?
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Eugene 1

Post by Eugene 1 »

I don't want hijack the OP thread I will just update mine

Topic author
tgdoumit

Post by tgdoumit »

still breaking down the dodge. I'm betting it will take a while to get room in my garage for the swap. not too much fun action going on here unless you count breaking down a dodge truck to the smallest parts for sale on craigs! heh!!
84 grand Wagoneer
97 TJ
92 XJ

Topic author
tgdoumit

Post by tgdoumit »

hey guys, just checking in here. i have both rigs and am almost done taking the dodge apart.
looking at the dodge frame makes me think that i may want to box the jeep's frame instead. i am leaning that way now...
hoping to make up my mind soon and still need to sell / get parts gone before i can start any progress really.
84 grand Wagoneer
97 TJ
92 XJ

Topic author
tgdoumit

Post by tgdoumit »

checking in :fsj:
well, this is what is left of the big stuff in my garage... i still have to get rid of some things outside from the old truck... gaining some space and hopefully momentum soon. i know it will be a lengthy process for sure.
84 grand Wagoneer
97 TJ
92 XJ

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Tim, gonna need an update, mmmkay?

Topic author
tgdoumit

Re:

Post by tgdoumit »

pcoplin wrote:Tim, gonna need an update, mmmkay?
well, some might be bummed out with this but i decided to give this rig to my 15 yo boy as his first vehicle.
he's not getting my 6bt lol
it turns out to be the perfect project for him to learn on.

we will update in the project threads but not in here. we will swap the 360 out (but it runs awesome) for something else.

anyways, sorry for the disappointment but life happens.

see you in the other thread once we get going.
84 grand Wagoneer
97 TJ
92 XJ