65 Waggy 4bt swap

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ
Loren Jones

Re: 65 Waggy 4bt swap

Postby Loren Jones » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:34 am

Looking very good!

I am doing a fairly similar project and need to get a build thread started.

Those axles are going to be pricey!

Pablo

Postby Pablo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:16 pm

I had a phone full of pics for updates. Dropped the phone. It shattered. I spent an afternoon replacing the screen, but the motherboard is horked and the screen is still displaying nothing but gibberish... So I give up on the pics.

I got the axles back. They have a nice layer of surface rust on the raw metal parts from sitting, but are otherwise looking nice and ready for metal prep. I need to take a look at the brake calipers on the front, the mount is still tweeked and examine the kingpins as well. Other than than, I am ready to get a torque tube mount placed and welded and start measuring for fitment of new leaf spring mounts.

The drive-line is roughed in and mounted and accessories are going on the motor. The transfer case sticks out a bit, which I don't like-- but the motor sits low and has good clearance with the hood and the rear firewall (which I do like). It looks like I will have plenty of room for a mechanical fan and shroud. The mechanical on-board air compressor is a bit up in the air. Still looking at the best way to get it, and an ac compressor, mounted up.

Wheels are ordered. B.A.D. 8-lug wheels and rock rings on the way. I hope to get some roller tires mounted asap...

Pablo

Postby Pablo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Lost all data on the old phone, so I took some new pictures with the new phone:

Engine roughed in:

Wheels arrived.

Axle internals are done, but I forgot to take pics.

Next steps:

1. Get the turbo, charged air cooler, radiator and ac compressor mounted and clearing all sheet metal (or rework sheet metal to make it clear).

2. Ditch ye old Dana 27/Dana 44 and put the D60 on (SOA ) and the 14-bolt in the rear. Mount up to Chevy 1/2 ton leafs via new leaf mounts on the frame, figure out final selection, location, and installation of power steering box / frame reinforcements / front cross bar modifications.

Lots more to do...

Stuka
Site Admin

Postby Stuka » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Nice looking wheels!
1981 J10 AMC 258 with HEI and Weber 32/36 DGEV Carb, T176, NP208, D44/M23 with 4.56 gears and Detroit Locker, 6" lift, 33x12.50 Cooper STT's, BJ's Offroad Rear Dozer Bumper.
1975 Cherokee *Sold* :(
2008 JK 3.8, 6sp, NP241, 2.5" lift, 33's, 4.56's
1989 XJ Limited *Sold*
2005 KJ Limited *Sold*

Pablo

Postby Pablo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:56 pm

Front Axle:

Finished installing the ZIP air locker, the 35 splined inner and outer cro-mo's, the ballistic fab shave kit, and the Yukon selectable hub's.

Probably will get REID knuckles and rebuild the kingpins with the spring eliminator's and the bronze bushings with the zerk. Still need to get the calipers rebuilt.

Rear Axle:

Ballistic Fab shave kit installed, gear turned down to fit housing, ARB air locker, 35 splined inner and outer cro-mo's and a flange kit.

First Reassembly

Getting the front end put back on to measure and cut for CAC, radiator, and AC exchanger fitment. Will probably cut out the inner fender to make room for the largest CAC and radiator possible.

Adventure_Wagon88

Postby Adventure_Wagon88 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:44 am

Any updates on this? Loving the build and very hopeful to do something similar to my 88 GW. Thanks for all the info you have provided here!

Pablo

Postby Pablo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:11 pm

It is moving along at a snail's pace as I am moving and switching jobs. We are working on fitting a ford one ton steering box and getting it drivable. I am putting the doors back on it and some take off tires so it will drive/move. It might go on hiatus for a bit after that.

Adventure_Wagon88

Postby Adventure_Wagon88 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:38 am

You said you were doing a Horton electrically activated magnetic fan clutch, is this something you have purchased? Do you have a link to order or a distributor that sells them?

Pablo

Postby Pablo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:03 pm

I got it from my diesel mechanic, who had it laying around. I would think any diesel mechanic can order it for you.

Pablo

Postby Pablo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:34 pm

FYI, this build is still progessing... slowly. Steering and suspension are roughed in. No pics yet, as I am seperated from the Jeep at the moment. Hopefully, I will will get to a stopping point on my XJ and can resume messing with the Waggy soon.

eggman918

Postby eggman918 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:30 am

Adventure_Wagon88 wrote:You said you were doing a Horton electrically activated magnetic fan clutch, is this something you have purchased? Do you have a link to order or a distributor that sells them?

I am running this unit,but found one for less that half this price.
I am real happy with it i run a 210*/195* switch and it rarely comes on on the highway, and on trails with a 20" fan it will cool down in ~ 1 minuite. I have also noticed that it runs much better/cleaner at low power/boost on the trails with coolant temps around 200*, before i was not comfortable running it that warm but now with the large Dia. engine driven fan I am....$.02
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-3927735 ... KZ&vxp=mtr

http://www.warnerelectric.com/products/ ... e-clutches
1967 Wagoneer soon to be TDI powered
1968 F-250 CrewCab Cummins 4BT, ZF-5, NP 203/205,TruTrac's front/rear.

Adventure_Wagon88

Postby Adventure_Wagon88 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks Eggman! Great to hear you're chipping away at it Pablo do post pics when you have some! Excited to see where it's at

Pablo

Postby Pablo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55 pm

I bought a cheap electric winch for the front last weekend, was the only progress I made this week. I hope to put a good PTO winch on the rear later on.

The XJ is sucking up all my time. Now that the weather has thawed I am trying to get that ready for this summer's adventures. I have beat on it all winter and it now needs an increasingly long list of things, as it is a 22 year old vehicle. Found a ChryCo symbol on the muffler and cat this week... Sheesh, probably original.

Return to “FSJ Diesel Conversions”