Autoprom. Worth it?

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
WT91

Autoprom. Worth it?

Post by WT91 »

This is an opinion post, I know, everyone will have their own thing to say. I'm about to pull the trigger on a cart full of stuff from Moates to get my 454 TBI system running on the 440 going into my Wagoneer. I am torn between buying the Burn2+GP1 Package+ALDL cable for basic data logging and chip burning or tossing down the extra cash for the GP1 package+Autoprom. It's only about $120~ more, and you get the emulation functions.

For those of you who have been down this road before, is the ability to emulate live and then burn a life changer? As someone new getting into DIY TBI, would you suggest it? For reference, I am doing a 7427 PCM+harness using a 454 TBI unit on top of a rebuilt 330~HP Mopar 440.
  • 1990 Grand Wagoneer
    440 swap, 727 MVB, NP208, D44 F/R 4.10 gears ZIP locker up front Detroit out back. So much other stuff. Check out the build.
  • 1994 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually
    7.3 PS, ZF5, 6.0 Intercooler, KC Turbo

AwesomeJ10

Re: Autoprom. Worth it?

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I have the full blown APU1 ( I think that is what it's called) that allows for real-time emulation. I've never really bothered to try and hook up the ribbon cable and actually do anything real-time. I figure it's best to drive around and datalog, then go back and review the logs.

In fact, Nikkormat is coming over tonight and we are converting his AMC 360 to TBI and I seriously doubt we will bother with trying to tune it in real-time.

personal preference I guess...

if I had it to do over again, I think I would get the cheaper burner....

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

I borrowed an autoprom. Live is awesome. But I couldn't afford the autoprom. So I got an ostrich and separate burn2. Did my own serial USB adapter. Gives me everything the autoprom had except analog channels, for lots less.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

I have the auto prom and love it. The emulation feature is really nice. It really makes the tuning process go quicker, not having to stop and burn a new chip every time you make a change. It came in real handy when building my timing table and also adjusting AE and stuff like that.
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Just to clarify, the ostrich does emulation. I like it fine. Just add serial adapter for data logging.

360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

With your ECM, if you ever want to run the switcher and switch between different bins, the AutoProm WILL NOT burn the larger chip that you need to hold multiple bins for your ECM. You need the Burn2 to program the larger chip.

Otherwise, the AutoProm is fantastic.

I have used both the Burn2 and the AutoProm.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
WT91

Post by WT91 »

I decided to go with the Burn 2 and no autoprom this time around. If time goes by and I really want the live feature, I can always pick up an ostrich. Thanks gents. Can't wait to start really getting this thing set up.
  • 1990 Grand Wagoneer
    440 swap, 727 MVB, NP208, D44 F/R 4.10 gears ZIP locker up front Detroit out back. So much other stuff. Check out the build.

firedog

Post by firedog »

Yes. Very much yes.

Found out I live 5 minutes away from the creator/owner/master behind TunerPro and he's been super super helpful in getting my feet wet (thrown head first into the pool actually) at this stuff. Auto prom is SUPER handy for tuning, real time data, programming, data logging etc. I very much suggest it if you're going to get into it

firedog

Post by firedog »

WT91 wrote:I decided to go with the Burn 2 and no autoprom this time around. If time goes by and I really want the live feature, I can always pick up an ostrich. Thanks gents. Can't wait to start really getting this thing set up.
Talking with moates about a month ago, they suggested I NOT go with that and go with the auto prom setup for our rigs. So that's what I did. I was going to go with the ostrich and the new Burn 2, but Moates themselves pointed me to the auto prom vs all the new stuff, especially for 7747 ECM's.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Well, the ostrich and burn2 and a serial USB adapter work fine for me... !?! *shrug*

babywag

Post by babywag »

shimniok wrote:Well, the ostrich and burn2 and a serial USB adapter work fine for me... !?! *shrug*

x2
Never had a problem and cheaper like me :D
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

firedog

Post by firedog »

shimniok wrote:Well, the ostrich and burn2 and a serial USB adapter work fine for me... !?! *shrug*

Oh i'm sure they'll work great, and they're certainly faster, particularly on other ECM's...but because I'm running 7747's in both my rigs, they suggested I don't do that. There was one other reason I can't remember. In any case, now having the auto prom and having it all setup in my rig, running emulation and tuning and all that good stuff...I do have to say it's super rewarding and somewhat addicting as you play with things and really get your rig running well. Fun to do. The hardest thing for me to do is not stare at my computer at TunerPro while I'm driving and watching my numbers. LOL :-bd

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Isn't it fun???!!!!

Log your data so you can keep your eyes on the road! :- )
Ethan Brady

firedog

Post by firedog »

FSJ Guy wrote:Isn't it fun???!!!!

Log your data so you can keep your eyes on the road! :- )
Oh I'm doing all sorts of datalogs, BUT ITS SO HARD TO LOOK AWAY!!! LOL :D

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

I run 7747 too. One big advantage of the autoprom is if you have a wbo2 or other sensors, as it has build in ADC and you can pull values right into tunerpro. It is nice having all in one.

Ok, ok, I'll be honest. My hobby fund can barely afford a front brake job let alone an autoprom. So for me it was either what I have now or guesswork and trying to burn proms with a cold stare. :)

Topic author
WT91

Post by WT91 »

For my 7427 setup I decided to go the cheaper log data+Burn2 method. But I did get wife approval for a bluetooth ALDL module. So I "appropriated" a Samsung 7" tablet that we have for a dash-mounted live data streaming/data-logging/media center unit. Going to be using ALDLDroid to log/display data using the bluetooth connection. Will still have to stop and burn new chips, but I did get some cool gadgetry out of the deal.
  • 1990 Grand Wagoneer

AwesomeJ10

Re: RE: Re: Autoprom. Worth it?

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

WT91 wrote:For my 7427 setup I decided to go the cheaper log data+Burn2 method. But I did get wife approval for a bluetooth ALDL module. So I "appropriated" a Samsung 7" tablet that we have for a dash-mounted live data streaming/data-logging/media center unit. Going to be using ALDLDroid to log/display data using the bluetooth connection. Will still have to stop and burn new chips, but I did get some cool gadgetry out of the deal.
Please let us know how the aldl droid works....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bill usn-1

Post by Bill usn-1 »

Been using it over a yr.
Works fine.
Just another gadget to play with.
The negative I found is it requires a separate 12v input to power the blue tooth adapter so you have to add 12 to your aldl connector or add a cigarette plug that you plug in to power it.
So you can't just walk up to any vehicle with a system installed and plug it into the winaldl connector and log data.
The other issue is the tunerpro files are written by individuals that may or may not know what they are doing. So there may be errors/problems built into some of them.
Most of the basic files on the tunerpro site are fine but very limited in the parameters/gauges avail.

You will need the Bluetooth cable, a Bluetooth device like your phone or a pad and the app.
My phone is a little small for logging/tuning so I got a 7" pad and made sure it had wifi/Bluetooth and USB to allow file transfers to/from other devices and the web.
When you compare it to a $50 ebay laptop with a good battery and a $30 data logging cable......it becomes a nice to have but not a need to have device.
Just like the autoprom or roadrunner.

For the guy that likes to play, you could mount your pad in your dash and use it for a digital dash so you can be distracted even more while driving.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Tell us how you really feel, Bill. Don't hold back, now! LOL!!!
Ethan Brady

Topic author
WT91

Post by WT91 »

Aren't they all just other gadgets to play with? :lol:

I would've bought one of your cables Bill, but your site didn't list any for sale and I waited 2 weeks for a response from your sales@hamiltonfuelinjection email and got tired of waiting. I thought about buying the Moates cable, but for a little less $$ I got the RDR bluetooth unit. I only own one vehicle that has/is going to have a GM PCM in it, so running a 12v line into the ALDL plug works fine for me. The free 7" tablet I have lying around is going to get mounted in the Jeep on the dash just like you suggested for maximum driving-distractedness :-bd Since I typically have my phone on a dash mount for music and GPS, having a tablet hard-mounted there is going to make zero difference to me.
  • 1990 Grand Wagoneer