Fitech

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
nightglide

Re: Fitech

Post by nightglide »

I think it's the heat we have been having lately overheating my inline pump.
Going on a cruise for hot Aug nights tonight. 2 hrs of 5mph cruising.....should be a good test lol
77 J10 360/T18/Dana20
Fitech fuel injection
4" Lift....3" body lift....35" ats

babywag

Post by babywag »

If the pump is going I'd be pretty annoyed if I was you. Isn't the fitech fuel pump kit like $250? Thing isn't even a year old and failing?

Do what I did, buy and OE style pump/strainer and modify/build your own setup.
Drop it in the tank and done. Fraction of cost and lifetime warranty.
Replacement available @ any parts store if needed.

No reason you need some exotic/expensive/specialized pump. Especially if it doesn't last many trouble free years! OE pumps have been around for decades and often last 100k or more. The $35 frame pump on my '90 is quiet and has ~25k on it. The in tank pump on my '88 has also been trouble free IIRC it was $25 pump $5 strainer 5+ years no issues.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Grandjeep94

Post by Grandjeep94 »

I have a 78 wag with a 360, running the fitech system. If you are having fuel pump issues look at your settings on your hand held. The inline pump system is PWM. Meaning the ecu controls the pumps performance. Out of the box the unit runs the pump at 100% even at an idle. You will need to adjust your settings so that it is not running at 100% because it will burn your pump out. Since my 360 is not built to 600hp I backed my pump off to 60% at WOT. Haven't had any starvation issues. Pump runs cooler and is not boiling fuel either. Before any of you ask....yes I love the fitech unit. Wouldn't dream of going back. Gained substantial power and fuel economy with the unit. Easy to install. The only trouble I had was locking out the stock distributer and phasing it correctly. Still not sure if I have it phased correclty. Lmao
1978 grand wagoneer, 1994 grand cherokee

SYRacing

Post by SYRacing »

Grandjeep94 wrote:I have a 78 wag with a 360, running the fitech system. If you are having fuel pump issues look at your settings on your hand held. The inline pump system is PWM. Meaning the ecu controls the pumps performance. Out of the box the unit runs the pump at 100% even at an idle. You will need to adjust your settings so that it is not running at 100% because it will burn your pump out. Since my 360 is not built to 600hp I backed my pump off to 60% at WOT. Haven't had any starvation issues. Pump runs cooler and is not boiling fuel either. Before any of you ask....yes I love the fitech unit. Wouldn't dream of going back. Gained substantial power and fuel economy with the unit. Easy to install. The only trouble I had was locking out the stock distributer and phasing it correctly. Still not sure if I have it phased correclty. Lmao
Shouldn't be too hard to do. If the display shows what the timing should be hook your timing light up and make the distributor match what the ECM is commanding.

So if PCM is commanding 20* at idle and your timing light shows it's actually 16* advance it the required 4* so the ECM is synchronized with the engine

babywag

Post by babywag »

Phasing is not the same as timing advance.
Obviously the ecm timing requested should match the actual advance, but that is not phasing.

Far as burning up a pump because it's running 100%. OEMs have been doing it for decades and pumps generally last a very long time.
The problem of burning up a pump comes mainly from too large a pump being used.

On a 600hp engine yes you need a big pump, and a way to keep it cool. That is where PWM comes in. It duty cycles the pump to reduce flow/heat and the pump lives a happy life.

That is why it is important to match components vs. having the biggest highest flowing pump you can get.
Parts will last longer, work like expected, and reduce frustration.

A 600hp system sounds cool, and so does a 255/340lph pump. However on a 200-300hp engine is wasted $ IMHO.

Not raggin' on anyone just posting info folks should now when debating/buying an EFI system. Just because you can buy a 600hp system and a big pump doesn't mean you need one. You can get by just fine with the smaller ones.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

They have three pumps available. The sump pump which is the expensive one would probably be as, if not more, reliable than an in tank pump. They have an in tank pump, and an inline frame pump which are prone to short lives.
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav

babywag

Post by babywag »

I disagree, a properly sized frame mounted pump is not unreliable and should not have a short life, or any shorter than an in tank pump.
OEMs did it that way for a long time.

Proper wiring, fuel line placement/plumbing, etc. etc. sure do it wrong and yep it'll be unhappy/die.
Do it right, should be problem free for many many years.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

malcoll

Post by malcoll »

I built an in-tank sender from my existing pick up and mounting a NAPA E2515 pump to it. It pumps at 255LPH...likely higher than needed, using existing supply and return hard lines that were already on the 1990 Grand Wagoneer.... dropped tank, replaced all the soft lines with FI rated hose, seems to be running great.... doing some fine tuning now.....just not sure how to get the little black box wiring into the cabin without cutting a new hole in the firewall.......