Hesitating/Dying at Low RPMs

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Robbie

Hesitating/Dying at Low RPMs

Post by Robbie »

I have an 85 wagoneer with the 360/727 and Howell TBI kit. Bought with the kit installed and ran relatively well for some time. Over the past year or so it has been giving me issues with choking/dying (possible misfire or banging noise against firewall?) out of stops, corners and hills. This issue only happens when it’s under 900rpm and a fair amount of throttle is applied. If I very lightly gas out of a stop/corner/hill it to build rpms up and then I’m able to apply heavy throttle it will pick up and go just fine. When it starts to “cough” I can sometime manually shift down into first and it will recover. It will not happen in park or neutral and is currently not throwing a code when it happens.
Things I’ve done to chase the issue:
Throwing a “rich fuel” code when it began I did: New exhaust and 02, New MAP, Plugs, wires, Air Cleaner, egr delete, de smogged, the pump is good and put in a new sending unit. Got rid of the code and helped but did not fix it entirely.
More recently I have adjusted the TV linkage under the throttle cable which seemed to help for a day or two but it is fairly maxed out and the issue is there.
I daily drive it but have to granny it around at times until it warms up and seems to be less of an issue.

Any dead giveaways here? Suggestions?

csuengr

Re: Hesitating/Dying at Low RPMs

Post by csuengr »

You still have a miss. Misses are more obvious under load at low rpm's. At faster rpm's they are not as noticeable.

I would check the ignition system.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
Robbie

Re: Hesitating/Dying at Low RPMs

Post by Robbie »

csuengr wrote:You still have a miss. Misses are more obvious under load at low rpm's. At faster rpm's they are not as noticeable.

I would check the ignition system.
Thanks, I have the pertronix set up with the flamethrower coil, new cap and rotor. I'm guessing testing the coil is the place to start.