Has anyone used a system from FiTech?

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Cheapthrills

Re: Has anyone used a system from FiTech?

Post by Cheapthrills »

I know this thread is old but I've been searching manufacturer sites for a4bbl efi system that is emissions legal and have found either they wher not or it wasn't mentioned. I hadn't seen a 4bbl system from howell.. any input?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

WT91 wrote:" but I highly doubt that. pfisys.com sells a GM TBI system for AMC engines for $995, new FI distributor and all.
That is exactly what they sell and exactly how much it costs, new locked out HEI and even a German made in line fuel pump, no extra charge.

I like the look of FiTech, but agree with the many here that spark control is half the reason to go with fuel injection. I'd have gone with bills kit if it wasn't for that $400 difference in price. Bills always so quick to help folks out with there TBI problems he deserves a plug here and there.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Cheapthrills wrote:I know this thread is old but I've been searching manufacturer sites for a4bbl efi system that is emissions legal and have found either they wher not or it wasn't mentioned. I hadn't seen a 4bbl system from howell.. any input?
Thanks in advance

The only aftermarket 4bbl "legal" kit is MSD Atomic, but the EO# doesn't cover anything AMC/Jeep only GM '87 and older.
In CA we have the option of visiting a smog referee and that individual signing off on it, *if* he feels it complies w/ requirements and passes sniffer.
They treat it like an engine swap, and slap a new label on vehicle for future smog testing visits @ regular stations.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Fitech fits any 4 barrel manifold so you need one of those don't forget.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

All ready installed on both wagons

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

So, sorry to hijack an older thread, but I've been running a junkyard TBI for a couple years and am fed up with the issues that keep coming up. I can and do sort them out, but, at the end of the day I'm getting tired of the limitations of a 1970s era computer. My eyeballs are firmly fixed on FiTech as a replacement unit. However, I would like to be able to pass emissions if I go that route at some point. (Currently no smog). Did your wagons pass a sniff test ok? Cat yes/no?
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

What "issues" are you running into? They may be engine related, not necessarily fuel delivery related.

Unless a FI system has cataloging abilities, I wouldn't touch it. I don't know if FI tech lets you save datalogs or not.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Not able to data log. I don't like sensors external to the throttle body. Can't change chips (and therefore baselines) without burning/soldering. Can't adjust baseline specs (like displacement, desired AFR, cam, etc) on the fly. 2-barrel system on a 4-barrel intake. Basically the system is stock GM from a 5.7 but stuck on an AMC 401. There probably aren't any issues with this per se (Howell), but when I put the system together I knew almost nothing so I know it isn't perfect. I know one _can_ address all the things I've listed, but I personally can't for some of them(the ECM/chip) and I'm not wanting to invest more of my time and effort for others(data logging). Not knocking the system as a whole, just of the opinion that if I am going to go through and essentially re-do my system I may as well upgrade (in my view). Plus I can go to an in-tank fuel pump.

And yes there may be other issues, but I'd rather have something from a factory than something put together by a bloke in his garage with some instructions off the internet to help isolate those issues ;)

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

FSJ Guy wrote:What "issues" are you running into? They may be engine related, not necessarily fuel delivery related.

Unless a FI system has cataloging abilities, I wouldn't touch it. I don't know if FI tech lets you save datalogs or not.
Constantly lean for days, then constantly rich, then lean again, hesitation off idle even when warm, stuttering (probably fuel pump, but still an issue) occasionally from starvation, and hard starting in the cold. This last one is troubling as sometimes its fine, just turn the key and go, sometimes it will need some help for a couple minutes, sometimes I have to hold about 1000 rpm for 5 minutes.

It's very driveable. Went to Ouray and back. But if I'm going to be putzing with it, why not throw the carb back on? (Don't want to do that...)
Maybe someone who knows more can fix these in 5 mins, but, I can't ;) And if these issues remain, at least I can see what the engine is doing to try and narrow them down. As of right now its just a big field of question marks.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Reno, your perspective is valid and I totally see what your saying. I think the FiTech is right up your alley. Your reasons are similar to I want to put FiTech in my dad's wag even though pfisys was good enough for my J-10. With my J-10 (Money Badger) it's an off-road play toy on a budget that I get to enjoy working and learning on at my leisure. My dad's wag (Yepa, as in yep, it's got a 401) is 5foot beautiful and mainly he just loves driving it. 90% of the time I'm not in it to troubleshoot and tune so I just want it to work right. I've got the 1406 dialed in as tight as can be, but a Sunday drive can have a 5000ft difference in elevation, and it's just not right for a wag that pretty to have a hard time hot starting in a mountain town. It already has to run rich since it's got my .060" over 10.5:1 compression 401 in it. (No overheating problems, just detonation if it gets too lean, 91 octane). It definitely needs fuel injected but I don't know TBI well enough or even have the tuning abilities to trust my workmanship on a rig I won't be driving.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Wow. I can see why you don't like your current system. None of those issues sound like mechanical engine issues. Just seems like your system is not tuned correctly.

:- /

Someone with an EEPROM burner who knows what they're doing could probably fix your existing system, though. Tuning a TBI is just like tuning a carb. You still have all the basic concepts. But they're just electronically controlled, instead. For example, in many of the hacks, there is an "accelerator pump" table that you can adjust in order to mimic the same feature of a carb.

I don't mind the external sensors thing, but that's a personal choice. No worries there. As long as you can datalog with the FI Tech system, you should be happy. (And we will be, too, as we can ask you for, and get data when you are tuning!)

I think others have had issues with sourcing a fuel pump for this system, however. Or maybe I'm confusing companies.... There are several all-in-one TBI systems out there, now....
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!