Question/Opinion Carb to TBI

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
WT91

Question/Opinion Carb to TBI

Post by WT91 »

Hey guys, question here. I'm getting to the point with my 440 swap that I need to think about how I'm going to start this thing the first time. I want to use the Thermoquad for first start up/cam break in because, well, it's already set up for the 440. No real risk involved, chances are it'll run decently and I'll survive cam break in.

Now I want to go TBI once the engine is running decently. I don't have the mechanical fuel pump, nor the 440 fuel pump pushrod. I'd rather spend the $$ on a TBI compatible fuel pump. I want to get the Airtex 8094 pump. Good GPH supply, exceeds TBI pressure requirements, etc.

My problem/question is what should I do to step the PSI down for the week or two I'll be running the carb? Can I use a traditional returnless dead-head style regulator with a 17 psi pump? The holley reds/blues/blacks run at 14 psi and are OK with dead-headed regulators, so I think it should be fine?

Option 2 is a dead-head regulator but with a return line T'd in and fed back to the stock jeep return line.

Option 3 is to forget the regulator all together and instead get one of those 3-4 psi micro pumps for $30 and hope it survives long enough to break the cam in.

Halp?
  • 1990 Grand Wagoneer
    440 swap, 727 MVB, NP208, D44 F/R 4.10 gears ZIP locker up front Detroit out back. So much other stuff. Check out the build.
  • 1994 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually
    7.3 PS, ZF5, 6.0 Intercooler, KC Turbo

Tatsadasayago

Re: Question/Opinion Carb to TBI

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I would go with the micro pump and reduce the hassle factor. A TQ can run a 440 with 3-4 PSI all day long and you won't have to worry about flooding with a high pressure pump.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
WT91

Post by WT91 »

Something like this?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-12s/overview/

The reviews are pretty meh, but I don't want to spend a bunch on a pump that'll get thrown out after a week. Same with the regulator, to be honest, hence why I mentioned an el-cheapo deadhead style.
  • 1990 Grand Wagoneer
    440 swap, 727 MVB, NP208, D44 F/R 4.10 gears ZIP locker up front Detroit out back. So much other stuff. Check out the build.
  • 1994 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually
    7.3 PS, ZF5, 6.0 Intercooler, KC Turbo

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I keep a NAPA square pump around for short term fuel systems or for transferring fuel. They work well for the purpose but are L O U D.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation