EFI with spark control

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Cataldo

Re: EFI with spark control

Post by Cataldo »

http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-GoEFIPowerAdder

$995 and comes with timing control. I have no personal experience with them, but I have read only positive reviews

In response to FI Tech, Holley has produced a compact stand alone TBI system for $1000.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... niper_efi/
Jay

1975 Jeep Wagoneer: 350 SBC, TH400, Q/T, D44's 3.54:1's. Hell Creek 4" lift with BFG KO2 33x10.5s.

1988 Jeep Wrangler: 305 SBC, TBI, 700r4, NP231c with SYE, 9" w/ Detroit and 4.11:1, 5.25" of lift, 31's. Done up as a Jurassic Park Jeep (Her's)

1973 Chevy Camaro: Vortec 350, 200-4r, GM 8.5 3.23's. 12.4 @ 108mph.

1965 Ford Mustang: Aluminum Headed 347, c4, 3.00:1 gears, High 12's (Her's).

Looking for 1 good factory Kidney Bean Mag in Southern California for use as a matching spare

Topic author
J.Bradley

Post by J.Bradley »

Thanks for the additional choices.
I emailed Kevin at PFI and he responded back very quickly answering all of my questions and said to call and he would discuss any other questions I may have. His system comes complete, Minus fuel lines, with a large cap GM distributor for the timing control for $995.00 with free shipping.
I am going to continue to look around for a bit as the kids think Christmas presents are more important than the Wagoneer.
I do not mind paying for someones R&D within reason. If I am looking around $500-$600 parts and rounding them up also then I feel $400-$500 is fair for their time and knowledge. When I get the rear A/C unit finished I plan to offer a kit for others and would look for those margins for my time spent.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

IIRC the PFI system is tuned for a 350, and requires extensive adjustments to run properly on anything else. All of which have to be done on laptop. I'd use a more modern system, theres just seems half assed.

Or buy a GM tbi from Bill or Howell if you need a CARB sticker.

The system cataldo posted seems nice.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Cataldo

Post by Cataldo »

Jay

1975 Jeep Wagoneer: 350 SBC, TH400, Q/T, D44's 3.54:1's. Hell Creek 4" lift with BFG KO2 33x10.5s.

1988 Jeep Wrangler: 305 SBC, TBI, 700r4, NP231c with SYE, 9" w/ Detroit and 4.11:1, 5.25" of lift, 31's. Done up as a Jurassic Park Jeep (Her's)

1973 Chevy Camaro: Vortec 350, 200-4r, GM 8.5 3.23's. 12.4 @ 108mph.

1965 Ford Mustang: Aluminum Headed 347, c4, 3.00:1 gears, High 12's (Her's).

Looking for 1 good factory Kidney Bean Mag in Southern California for use as a matching spare

Topic author
J.Bradley

Post by J.Bradley »

I really like these style systems but I am concerned with the heat dissipation under the hood on a daily driver sitting in traffic with the ECM integrated into the housing, I have had some hot start issues on some of these warmer days. I am sure they have thought of this and made adjustments as there are much hotter big blocks that they are running on. My second concern would be what Tim brought up about parts and not being able to repair off the shelf. I found lots of info on these but no one with any longevity. I would also like to keep my duraspark with large cap and TFI coil, I do not mind phasing it for the timing control but will have to research if that will work on the FI Tech system.
I think I am going to hold off until Holley releases theirs and that may bring out more options or maybe a price change on some of the lesser models.
Thankfully in Florida we do not require any emissions inspection.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

You can lock the mechanical advance on the factory distributor (with the larger cap, too) and use it with a GM system and retain timing control.

Most electronics are OK with higher heat, but that might only last 10 years, vs 30 years. But if the parts are spec'd to operate and (more importantly) tolerate high heat (300F+), they'll be OK.

That said, I like keeping electronics cooler. They're always much happier that way.

Since there's no visual inspection, unless it's a show truck and you're always going to remove the air cleaner, no one will ever see a fancy "all-in-one integrated TBI/ECM" sitting on top of your engine.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
J.Bradley

Post by J.Bradley »

I agree on the heat of the ECM. I am not interested in having a show truck and the only reason to remove the air cleaner would be to work on it. I like the ease of adjustment on the all in one systems but I am leaning more toward the GM setup, just need to decide between Bill's, AFI or PFI unless someone has all of the parts sitting in a box already. I am not going to do this with out timing control and I do not expect fuel mileage increase and never expect to recoup money spent on the system unless someone needs four 2150s. I want a good cold start for those days it gets down to 40 degrees and not a long hot start for the 90 degree days and female approved reliability, She gets embarrassed when I pop the hood at the gas station because I left the battery cable loose and when people stop to look at the Wagoneer and it takes half throttle to start when hot. It has got the looks, It just needs the brains.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

OK... But you also have to consider the cost and availability of the GM tbi parts. Some of itbis getting hard to find.

And you should be having NO problem cold starting at 40 degrees or hot starting when its 110+ outside. I think you've got a flaky choke and to much heat being retained under the hood. I would fix what you have before upgrading. Just my 2¢...

I think your money would be better spent on a better rad, a beefy electric fan, and upgrading away from duraspark. You can get timing advance/retard control on a knob with a crane ignition system. Dial it up for better highway milage and drop it down for hot start or to bring temps down. Most ignition systems even include automatic timing retard now.

But with the stock setup is completely adequate for your usage.

Where are you located anyway? I'd love to live between 40 and 90 degrees year round.

babywag

Post by babywag »

J.Bradley wrote:The 360 I am building will have an aluminum 4v just for the weight after pulling the stock anchor off of it. I am not set on any one of them, This one just seemed it would be the most user friendly for adjusting and if it is done I would want spark control not just an electric carb. I have no experience with any of them. I could easily assemble the DYI TBI hardware but I have never dealt with the programming side of it. I need something "wife" friendly for the cold starts and in a hurry accompanied with it. I am not looking for any mileage/performance improvement just start and go.
If you want to DIY and save some $$$ gather your own parts, rebuild the TB, buy some new sensors/parts, get a new TB adapter and new wiring harness + chip from Bill.
Modify the stock distributor, install the fuel pump, install the O2 sensor.
Cheap, wife friendly, and done. Parts available @ any parts store, easily tune-able if you want to play/learn later on.
Once installed and tuned, turn the key and go, anytime/temp/place etc.

The complete used system on my '90 was $110 when I pulled it from a junkyard GM van. Even buying new stuff/tuning hardware nowhere near $1k into it, more like ~$500
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
J.Bradley

Post by J.Bradley »

I am a small business owner working solo at the moment with 3 kids under 7. Unfortunately I have less time than Money which is still not very much. I do not mind the DIY aspect of it and the Kids enjoy helping but a afternoon at the closest salvage 35 miles away and I would not say it is not worth the time but $500 seems fair to me for someone who has took the time to gather the products and clean the harness or make a new one and include all needed sensors and program the prom.

Does any one have any screen shots of the software used to burn the computer proms.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

My favorite program for GM TBI tuning is TunerPro. www.mates.net

I think he has some screen shots there, too. Not sure. But for tuning and programming, www.gearhead-efi.com has a wealth of information.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!