Junkyard TBI Vs Howell

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
J.Bradley

Re: Junkyard TBI Vs Howell

Post by J.Bradley »

That was a inheritance from my Dad, I grew up repairing VCRs with him. I still have a box of belts and parts if anyone needs their VCR repaired.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Nice! piece of cake w/ that unit!
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Yes, very nice! I finally picked up a Hakko adjustable iron and it is an absolute JOY to use! Was almost tempted to dig out some scrap boards just to play with. LOL!

If you can handle a VCR tape routing mechanism, sounds like you'll have no trouble with a DIY TBI conversion. :- )
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Bill usn-1

Post by Bill usn-1 »

babywag wrote:If you want to keep costs down?

You can just modify a 27SF512 chip w/ a piece of wire soldered to some of the pins, and mod the stock 7747 chip holder.
Main issue I had w/ buying sockets/adapters and soldering them to stock 7747, is when my 7747 crapped out.
Didn't feel like desoldering/resoldering...just modded a chip & holder, so the socket/adapter really is not needed.

The moates burn device works well I've had a Burn1 for years and years.

You can buy a $5 USB ttl converter from many sources for ALDL use, just need 2 wires connected (for 7747) and a USB cable.

You can do the same with a 7427 pcm memcal, just desolder the stock chip and solder in a 27SF512 chip.
Then just need a header ($10 moates) to use the burn2 and the stock memcal.

I also have an Ostrich2 from moates, it holds 8 tunes, and works very well.

Far as gathering parts, many many options, post in wanted section? Most yards will pull/ship stuff for a little more than DIY u-pull-it prices. eBay.
Someone that actually read the FAQs on Binderplanet!!!
The only thing you "need" is a way to burn the chips and the chips.
You can use the factory EPROM 2732a chips and just burn them with something like the GQ-4x on ebay. you can also buy or build an eraser with a germicidal bulb if you want to reuse the 2732s.
Or
buy a couple EEPROM 27sf512 chips and a Moates Burn 2 or the GQ-4x and it allows you to erase with the push of a key. But now your no longer a factory set up.

It's all listed in the "start Here" thread in the injection forum on binderplanet.
along with the parts required, wiring and everything else.

Topic author
J.Bradley

Post by J.Bradley »

Well the verdict is in... and DIY is on its way. After a couple of days of reading and reading I figure if some of these guys I have found can accomplish this task then it can not be that difficult. I since have found a 95 GMC 4x4 someone is puling the drive train on and they said for $100 I could have the all wiring, ECM and TBI.
Now for the programming part. After using all of the programmers/burner styles what would be the one you ordered from Moates if you had to replace yours? If I need and would potentially use all of the features of the autoprom then I do not mind getting it but if all I would ever need to burn and make tuning adjustments would be a Burn2 then why not just that.
I have another Wagoneer that I would like to put TBI on and also my 1959 F250 4x4 so I think the DIY method would end up considerably cheaper when divided among the three of them and no telling what else down the line.

Thanks again for helping me take the smart path and not the easy one.

Also on a second note I am going to order a aluminum intake to and is the 2131 the best option?
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/ ... rmer.shtml

I saw the serpentine conversion and has anyone had any experience with it?
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Serpentine-Be ... p_648.html

Another FI question. Will a fuel sender from a 85 Wagoneer fit and function in a 89 Grand Wagoneer? Just looking at fuel pump options and if they will swap that will allow much easier install of an in tank pump.
Last edited by J.Bradley on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WT91

Post by WT91 »

I ran the 2131 and it was perfect. Yes, thats the best option. The serpentine kit I can't speak for.

If you plan on tinkering with the programming a lot, then the autoprom is a good tool. Especially if you plan on TBI'ing 3 vehicles. You'll get your money's worth out of it. The best part is being able to tweak the tune without having to stop the truck and burn a new chip. You can adjust on the fly and once you have it 100% you can burn it in and call it good.
  • 1990 Grand Wagoneer
    440 swap, 727 MVB, NP208, D44 F/R 4.10 gears ZIP locker up front Detroit out back. So much other stuff. Check out the build.
  • 1994 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually
    7.3 PS, ZF5, 6.0 Intercooler, KC Turbo

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

The Autoprom will allow emulating, (program on the fly, no need for chip swapping) as already mentioned.

The Burn2 is cheaper (But don't forget, you still need ALDL cable since the Autprom actually comes with one), can burn larger capacity chips (AM29F040B ), but does not emulate.

Why would you need a larger chip than the 27SF512? You would ONLY need a larger chip if you have a PCM like the 16197427 and want to have multiple bins on one chip and use a switcher to choose between one or the other. When I had a switcher, I used it for tuning. I had my "old" bin on one position and a new "experimental" bin on another position. I could then shift back and forth on the fly and decide which bin I liked better at that time.

Switching with the 12277747 ECM can be done with the "regular" 27SF512 chip and (of course) the correct switcher from Moates.

Your choice. Both will get the job done. Just be aware of the limitations of both.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
J.Bradley

Post by J.Bradley »

I decided on the Autoprom, I am sure once I get started on playing with tunes it will be easier to achieve desired settings if they are easily changed.
Now what about an TBI adapter plate? Any suggestions on where to purchase or if one is better than the other.
Is the sending unit different physically mounting from 85 to 89? If not, Is the fuel level sender different Ohms from those years?

babywag

Post by babywag »

J.Bradley wrote: Now what about an TBI adapter plate? Any suggestions on where to purchase or if one is better than the other.
Is the sending unit different physically mounting from 85 to 89? If not, Is the fuel level sender different Ohms from those years?
Bill sells nice adapter plates. (Hamilton fuel injection)

Sending unit is different, mounts the same, different ohm range for fuel gauge.
Late model is low ohms for empty, high ohms for full. Opposite of earlier '85-'73 sender ohm range for fuel gauge.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)