Autoprom from Moates

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Greenmachine

Autoprom from Moates

Post by Greenmachine »

I have been looking at the various systems and trying to decide how exactly I want to proceed. I am going junkyard harness modified and rebuilt junkyard tbi. I have a reman ecu 1227747 that I have not removed from the box yet and I am not 100% that I will use it (selling parts has it's benefits). I thought about having a chip burned but I am skeptical that i will be able to get a good tune from just buying a chip off the net. I found the APU1 auto prom from Moates and it looks like it would be everything I need to tune and burn a chip for my cherokee's 360 and then down the road use it for my j10's inline 6 (soon to be 4.0). Has anyone used one of these? The initial cost would be high but I like that I can use it multiple times on different vehicles (heck I may fuel inject the FC someday too).

https://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-pa ... l?cPath=94
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav

AwesomeJ10

Re: Autoprom from Moates

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

yeah that's what I use too.

It's a little pricy, but is what you need. You should also get a few extra of the sf512 chips and a couple extra zif sockets (which are soldered into the ECU)

you will also need to install and use tunerpro (the moates will come with a key for tunerpro IIRC)

Also grab winaldl (just cause it's kinda old school and I think it's helpful)

also flashnburn

Topic author
Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

Did you have to solder in one of the g2 adapters?
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.

Former Air Cav

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I think you need this zif chip and it's what you have to physically solder into the ECM. Once you de-solder the original 'chip', you solder this one in. Then you can easily swap out sf512 chips (for tuning purposes)

https://www.moates.net/s4-aries-28pin-l ... l?cPath=26

Bill usn-1

Post by Bill usn-1 »

Figure in the cost of equip and learning to properly tune.
I do custom tunes for $150 and have baseline tunes for all the AMC motors.
Once installed just make a run and if needed I make any adjustments needed for your specific engine or location.
Altitude does affect tune.
I use the factory 2732 chip so if an ecm goes bad in the future you just replace and swap the chips in.
When you start modifying parts and making them 1 off then you have to have a spare made the same in case of failure.

babywag

Post by babywag »

I would also look @ the Ostrich 2.0, and a Burn2. ~$260
Both very desirable products that hold their value pretty well, so can always sell them later.

Solder in a 28-pin machine tool socket to ECM, and modify a single 27SF512 chip with another machine tool socket. ~$10 in parts

Use the Ostrich to tune, when done burn the modified chip, and done.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

I have the autoprom in my possession so... I did see the ostrich 2 and considered it. I have three engines I plan on changing over to tbi so it will more than pay for itself. I like the ability to create my own program.

Former Air Cav

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

AutoProm is awesome. The only reason to use the Burn2 is if you need to use a larger chip. Some other ECMs will require a larger chip if you want to run multiple bins. The AutoProm will no burn some of the larger chips.

X2 on ZIF sockets. Much easier.

Have fun!!!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!