Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
firedog

Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Post by firedog »

Hey gang!

Got myself into a 1990 grand waggy with the AMC 360. Recently put on a Howell TBI system on it...but I'm wondering what guys have found as the best solution for the throttle and kick down cable attachments to the TBI unit?

I know I'm not the first to visit this problem...so I'm hoping some guys with some good info can point me to what seems to work out best...

Thanks in advance!

Mike

tgreese

Re: Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Post by tgreese »

firedog wrote:Hey gang!

Got myself into a 1990 grand waggy with the AMC 360. Recently put on a Howell TBI system on it...but I'm wondering what guys have found as the best solution for the throttle and kick down cable attachments to the TBI unit?

I know I'm not the first to visit this problem...so I'm hoping some guys with some good info can point me to what seems to work out best...

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Howell is supposed to be a turn-key conversion. They did not tell you how to connect the cables to the TB?

Looking at their posted directions, they claim that the throttle cable should clip on to one of the existing studs.

Pics of what you have now?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
firedog

Post by firedog »

tgreese wrote:
firedog wrote:Hey gang!

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Howell is supposed to be a turn-key conversion. They did not tell you how to connect the cables to the TB?

Looking at their posted directions, they claim that the throttle cable should clip on to one of the existing studs.

Pics of what you have now?
No -- it is NOT plug and play. Basically, after talking with BJ's off-road and Howell...I'm kinda on my own to figure it out. There is no parts or conversion..and when I called and talked to both, they both kinda pointed fingers and each other to talk to. So, I'm kinda stuck figuring out what works best and customizing it myself, or finding some golden nuggets of knowledge in your guys' brains.

Here are a few pics of the TBI unit hookups. It's basically a 1990 K series Chevy truck TBI for all intents and purposes. Excuse the wire...that was so I could move it out of the shop. :) but you get a feel fro what all the posts look like and what I'm trying to accomplish. I've done a conversion like this on my own on my YJ, and used Lokar cables...but the kick down is significantly different for this GM 727 tranny and such.

I can't be the first to have done this, so I'm wondering what other guys have done that they have found works well. At this point, I'm thinking about a Lokar throttle cable and having to custom fab up the kick down cable somehow...??

Here are some pics...

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Tony pretty much has it covered in his reply on the mother ship. I agree that you should get in touch with Howell and ask for the proper throttle arm config.

If you end up fixing it, you can buy a ball stud that will fit your throttle cable from Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/search/part ... ever-studs Measure the ball diameter on your carburetor and get a stud that has the same diameter. Then grind off / drill through the throttle arm on the TB and install the ball stud. You want to duplicate the lever-arm length of your factory carb on the TB.

Then I guess you'll have to do the bolt thing with the kick-down. It's lame that they don't help you more with this. Did you buy the kit with the CARB number? Looks like that's their only competitive advantage...
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
firedog

Post by firedog »

tgreese wrote:Tony pretty much has it covered in his reply on the mother ship. I agree that you should get in touch with Howell and ask for the proper throttle arm config.

If you end up fixing it, you can buy a ball stud that will fit your throttle cable from Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/search/part ... ever-studs Measure the ball diameter on your carburetor and get a stud that has the same diameter. Then grind off / drill through the throttle arm on the TB and install the ball stud. You want to duplicate the lever-arm length of your factory carb on the TB.

Then I guess you'll have to do the bolt thing with the kick-down. It's lame that they don't help you more with this. Did you buy the kit with the CARB number? Looks like that's their only competitive advantage...
I talked to them directly, told them what I have and was looking for. They customer the kit (wiring harness wise) for my rig. I have to imagine the TBI units they use are "stock" between all their kits for the same style? That's just an assumption on my part I guess

I'm emailing Howell and see if I get anywhere...called them earlier..hopefully I can get this figured out...

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

firedog wrote:
tgreese wrote:Tony pretty much has it covered in his reply on the mother ship. I agree that you should get in touch with Howell and ask for the proper throttle arm config.

I talked to them directly, told them what I have and was looking for. They customer the kit (wiring harness wise) for my rig. I have to imagine the TBI units they use are "stock" between all their kits for the same style? That's just an assumption on my part I guess

I'm emailing Howell and see if I get anywhere...called them earlier..hopefully I can get this figured out...
I'd gues that they put the kits together with what throttle bodies thay can get ... the car yours came from likely has a throttle cable with a hole/loop in the end, and a clip that holds it to the post. Who knows how many different TB styles there are ...
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

IIRC a stock junkyard chevy TBI has the correct clips on it to connect to a stock kickdown cable.

go down to any junkyard and look at pretty much any late 80's - early 90's chevy with TBI and grab the correct throttle parts.

This is from memory from about 3 years ago when I did my '88 GW.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I ground off the back side of the stud on the linkage and pulled it out. Went to the McParts house and got a ball stud and put it into the hole. The kick down is just a bolt and has worked for 10+ years... ;)

Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Odd that the throttle body didn't have the correct studs. Mine did when I installed mine way back in 2002.

X2 on contacting Howell.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

MateoFSJ

Post by MateoFSJ »

Did either of you hear back from Howell? My Acceleration cable broke and the OEM replacement from Napa isnt fitting either.