Going to the darkside; 258 TBI

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

FSJ Guy

Re: Going to the darkside; 258 TBI

Post by FSJ Guy »

LOL! : D

No worries.

I set my base timing to 10 degrees since it was hard to get the motor to idle at zero. You have to have it idle without the timing control active (disconnecting the set timing wire) to set the base timing. I found that my motor didn't like zero, so I tried 10 degrees and it was much happier.

The big thing is to make sure your base timing (aka static timing) set in the bin file and your actually base timing are the SAME.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Sounds...fun :P

Now comes the interesting part, cleaning the harness up and making it look pretty.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Post by 243 »

Ten degrees base timing works well on the 258 in my CJ.

But it sounds like ya'll have a 2-way conversation going to I will move on.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I don't think anyone has a monopoly on any thread. Feel free to chime in!
Ethan Brady

sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

I tried setting mine to 10* and then to 0* and didn't notice a difference. Mine is at 0* and idles great. However, there are differences between Ethan's rig and mine. I left mine @ 0* based upon recommendation by Eagle Mark @ gearhead-efi.com. But, like Ethan wrote, whatever you set it at be sure to make that change in the file. To pile on, be sure you're setting timing with the wire disconnected near the PCM.
1977 Cherokee Chief WT w/ 2" lift
360 (originally a 401)/TH400/QT w/ MM part-time
16197427 $OD junkyard TBI set-up

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

243 wrote:Ten degrees base timing works well on the 258 in my CJ.

But it sounds like ya'll have a 2-way conversation going to I will move on.
This is a totally open discussion, no worries.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

FSJ Guy wrote:You want the 2PRS, IIRC, from JTR. Send them your $75 and they will send it out to you ASAP.

http://www.Moates.net will have your data logging stuff. For the 7747 ECM, you will want the G2 Adapter or any of its variants (You can get a bin switcher for it, too.)

The AutoProm will work to allow live updating and data logging all in one if you like. A less expensive option is an ALDL cable and the Burn2 burner. You will need at least one 27SF512 chip to burn your files. I'd order at least three because if you're like me, you'll burn one of them up when you accidentally insert it backwards. :- p

I don't recommend mail order tuning. It takes too long. You have to log, send data, wait for a chip in the mail.... Lather, rinse, repeat. I've burned over 10 different bins in a single day playing around with things.

Don't forget TunerPro! It's freeware, but well worth the $40 "registration" to thank the author of this software.
Been reading your page on SP's TBI setup. The autoprom worked well for you I take it?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that.

Will still need to get the 27SF512 chips and g2x adapter separately.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

One more thing, are you guys running knock sensors?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I never bothered with a knock sensor on any AMC TBI. It's easy enough to hear it pinging if you have too much timing. In that case, just back it off a little bit.

I recently did a TBI swap on a carb'd 350 that came in my dually. Even though I already had the 8.1L engine all ready to swap in, there was no way I was gonna drive it around with a carb (even though it was only a month). Anyways - I did connect the knock sensor and that was pretty much just because the knock sensor was already installed into the block and it only takes one wire. Didn't notice a difference...

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I disabled the knock sensor. Blake can tell you specifically what flags to uncheck.

IIRC, I also zero'd out the retard tables, too. So if it thought it detected knocking, it wouldn't change the timing.

When I talked to AFI, they recommended not using the knock sensor because of false knock sensing and the reasons that Blake already mentioned.
Ethan Brady

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Random question.

When I get everything together (after the new chip soldered in) will it attempt to run at all or does some sort of tune need to be uploaded? Probably not, right?

Slowly starting to understand..... :D
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Couple more questions...................

Which have you guys had the best luck with, the stock Duraspark dizzy or large cap HEI? I have both at my disposal, currently.

Is the timing harness (the caddy one) available in the aftermarket? Not having luck at the u-pull-it guy.

Popped open my ECM, what do you guys think?

82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Not that familiar with the GM ECU, but the chip stores the fuel and spark table that the computer uses to look up the size of the fuel shot and the advance. If you solder in a blank chip, there won't be much to look up ...

If you are going to have spark control, it doesn't matter which one you use. They both detect the spark the same way, and you'll be disabling the mechanical and vacuum advance. For my 258, I have a HEI from a 250 Chevy. I'm using the short cap from a Blazer, putting the coil outside the distributor, and removing the vacuum advance. You will need the 7-pin or 8-pin module for spark control, which you should be able to put under the cap of a HEI... though I have not gotten that far yet.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Does the 258 use the same distributor as the 360? If so, go with the stock distributor. You can disconnect the vac advance and weld the centrifugal advance mechanism to lock it out.
Ethan Brady

derf

Post by derf »

FSJ Guy wrote:Does the 258 use the same distributor as the 360? If so, go with the stock distributor. You can disconnect the vac advance and weld the centrifugal advance mechanism to lock it out.
I may be wrong but I'm betting if you try to use an 8 cylinder distributor in a 6 cylinder engine you won't get satisfactory results so I really doubt they're interchangeable.

Though I do think AMC used a Motorcraft distributor similar to the Ford 300 straight 6 for the 258, just with a different base.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

FSJ Guy wrote:Does the 258 use the same distributor as the 360? If so, go with the stock distributor. You can disconnect the vac advance and weld the centrifugal advance mechanism to lock it out.
No, V8 and i6 distributer are completely different.

They are of the same type year for year (ie: 78+ is all duraspark). But thats about it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The same as in same type, it's also a Motorcraft Duraspark, like the V8. Of course, the reluctor has 6 lobes not 8, and the cap is different, but it's the same type of distributor.

My 258 currently has the Prestolite distributor, and I got the Chevy 250 HEI distributor at the junkyard maybe a decade ago, so that's why I'm using it. But I would be using the factory Duraspark if I had it.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Both of my distributors are 6 cylinder models.

One more question, anybody have a photo break-down of what all the connectors are on the TBI harness? I'm trimming it down and trying to figure out what stays and what goes.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

If they both trigger the same way, then you can use the stock distributor. The V8 pickup coil send the correct signal for the GM ECM and ignition module to read.

Head over to www.gearhead-efi.com and there is a TON of information there.
Ethan Brady

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Good chance to practice your Google-fu.

I made this search https://www.google.com/search?q=GM+TBI+ ... 8&oe=utf-8 and this is the #1 hit - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/43 ... nsive.html Looks like a start. There are lots of pages about this topic.

I would suggest that you simply unstring everything and lay it out. Tag all the plugs and wires with some masking tape and a Sharpy until you know what everything is, then make a plan to cut out what you don't need. Take good notes, on paper or with your camera or cell phone or whatever.

I'd also look for the relevant sections of FSM and wiring diagram for the donor vehicle online... it's probably online somewhere. Print or otherwise save them for later reference, since you never know when resources on the internet will disappear. I use a browser add-on called Scrapbook that will copy verbatim any page, including the embedded images and links, however many levels deep you want.

hth!
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.