Fuel pump question

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Mr. Goatman

Fuel pump question

Post by Mr. Goatman »

This is not necessarily an exclusive to fuel injection question but I am trying to find a place to mount a fuel pump. There is not room on the frame in front of the coffin due to some other things. I have the pump that comes with the Howell system. The question is can I mount the pump high at the back of the tank where the rubber hoses connect the sender to the steel lines... will it cause a priming problem? Should there be a check valve before the pump?
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

Bill usn-1

Re: Fuel pump question

Post by Bill usn-1 »

The pumps work best pushing fuel and being at or below the bottom of the tank.
That being said, if you look up the pump information from the manufacturers web site you will find most advertise being able to lift 12".
So if your tank is only about 10 deep then it should be fine when the tank is low on fuel if mounted at the level of the top of the tank.
The larger the hose(3/8) and the less connections and bends the better. Every connection uses fittings with reduced ID.

Topic author
Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

Does anyone know if there is room to put the walbro pump on the body crossmember right behind the tank? My tank is out right now but looking at the clearance of the filler hoses it might work.
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx

Topic author
Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

Okay, I'm going to bolt a piece of angle to the body cross member and mount the pump facing backwards. This should eliminate any clearance issues with the coffin. It should also be pretty high and not have problems with damage from rocks. There is not a lot of extra space because the rear brake line and the fuel fill hoses are both close. Anybody see a problem with this?
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

I've run electric pumps on the rear crossmember behind the tank for the last 10 years including for TBI the last several months. They work fine there.
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!