GM TBI questions and vortec heads.

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
ilouiebob

GM TBI questions and vortec heads.

Post by ilouiebob »

I'm working on installing a Chevy 350 into my 69 Wagoneer. I'm going the TBI route and have most of the parts but ran into a problem when my junkyard heads turned out to be cracked. I had planned on just running the original TBI heads despite their reputation because I was hoping to avoid the whole chip burning and tuning thing. My local shop tells me it will be around $500 to $600 to repair and rebuild my heads. Rock Auto has remanufactured heads after core return for about $450. I was looking at Summit and they have brand new complete iron vortec heads for about $620 for the pair. The vortec heads are tempting. I know I will need a new vortec type manifold. GM Performance Parts makes a vortec TBI manifold but it requires additional parts to run the EGR. Edelbrock makes a vortec head that's much cheaper but doesn't have an EGR provision and it's not a TBI manifold so a adapter plate would be needed. Would I be better sticking with the TBI heads or upgrading to the vortec? Does anyone know if I could run without the EGR without having to get a new chip? Would just running the vortec heads be enough to screw with the stock programming or would it help? Going the vortec way, costs are going to start stacking up but I would like to know if its worth it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
1969 Wagoneer
Under construction

REDONE

Re: GM TBI questions and vortec heads.

Post by REDONE »

Not worth it. J/Y heads are $50 a pop and TBI heads are a dime a dozen.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

They sure are proud of those heads!!! Eeek!

Like Redone said, go find some junkyard heads and have them rebuilt. I can't imagine the "TBI" versions are THAT much different.

And FWIW, you WILL want to get into programming your ECM. It's fun, easy and cheaper than PAYING someone else to punch a few keys here and there.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
ilouiebob

Post by ilouiebob »

Thanks for the advice. The more I've thought about it I'm leaning towards the remanufactured heads from Rock Auto. I checked more into them and it seems even with shipping they would be the cheaper than having mine rebuilt. I'm kind of oppose to getting set of TBI heads out of a wrecking yard because thats where I got the set I have now that need to be rebuilt.
1969 Wagoneer
Under construction

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Heads are $40 each (including $10 core charge) in Denver with 30 day exchange. That would be my suggestion. Even with your time to clean them up, you're still money ahead. Just get em checked out by a shop in 30 days and you're set.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Ditto. I got the price I posted from picknpulls website for Fresno, the closest one to him. Most I've paid for a head rebuild was $140 and it needed some valves. Rebuilding heads isn't that tough either. Sketchiest part is grinding the valves and seats if it's your first time but the internet even makes that easy. ilouiebob, if something is telling you to get the rockauto heads I can't fault you for listening to your gut, but money wise you'll be way farther ahead with j/y heads, a $20 valve spring compressor, $20 valve grinding mandrel and $4 worth of lapping compound. With your cracked heads for parts you'll have springs, valves and keepers galore for spares, so you're looking at another $15 for valve seals. If you find the a bad seat they're only about $10 each, or $120 a head to replace all of them.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
ilouiebob

Post by ilouiebob »

I'm not oppose to grabbing another set of heads of the wrecking yard, its just that I got charged $57 when the shop cleaned and magnafluxed my first set of heads. They told me I would be credited the amount if I had them rebuild my heads. I just don't want to fork over 60 bucks each time til I find a good set. I have a brand new rebuild kit minus valves and rocker arms. I was told my current valve are shot. The heads from Rock Auto just offer me a quick way out. This rebuild has been dragged out and I need to kick start it.
1969 Wagoneer
Under construction