Where to mount ECM in later model Grand Wagoneer

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Mr. Goatman

Where to mount ECM in later model Grand Wagoneer

Post by Mr. Goatman »

Where is a good place to mount the ECM in an 87 GW? Where did you run the cables through the firewall?
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

FSJ Guy

Re: Where to mount ECM in later model Grand Wagoneer

Post by FSJ Guy »

You can use an OEM hole on the driver's side. It's oval shaped and the plate is held in with two screws accessible from the inside. There may be carpet insulation over the hole, but it is pre-cut. You will have to plug the hole well, however. Otherwise water will splash up and wet your legs. AMHIK. You can stuff the ECM up under the dash above the steering wheel if you don't need regular access to it for tuning.

Or you could cut a hole on the passenger side and route the bundle in there. Watch out for the exhaust, however. It's easy to bolt the ECM to the air conditioner unit inside, too. Just don't use LONG screws!!!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

This pic is just under the heater/fan box. 2" hole saw...

HTH...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

I got down under the dash to mark and drill a hole under the heater box. About 6 inches left of your hole I found a perforation in the insulation. When I removed it there is an access plate screwed on that when removed leaves about an 1.5 x 3 inch hole. I ran the harness through and played with the routing of wiring around the engine to the approximate location it will go. Everything looks like it will fit fine. Thanks
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Mr. Goatman wrote:I got down under the dash to mark and drill a hole under the heater box. About 6 inches left of your hole I found a perforation in the insulation. When I removed it there is an access plate screwed on that when removed leaves about an 1.5 x 3 inch hole. I ran the harness through and played with the routing of wiring around the engine to the approximate location it will go. Everything looks like it will fit fine. Thanks
Make sure your wiring is well away from the exhaust manifold. IIRC, that hole is really close to the exhaust pipe.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!