I'm conflicted, help me decide

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Mr. Goatman

I'm conflicted, help me decide

Post by Mr. Goatman »

My 87 GW has a low mile rebuild on the 360. It has a performer manifold. At one time I had a projection system on it but never could get it to run quite right. It currently has an Edelbrock 1405. I have everything to do a junkyard TBI but also got a good deal on a Howell system. I figure I'll install the Howell and the change out the ECM when I get time and have a chance to learn how to program it then sell the Howell. Here's the conflict. I can't decide which ignition system to use. I was all set to use an HEI. I was sure enough I bought a procomp dizzy and wires off e-bay. I'm having second thoughts and am wondering if I should keep the dizzy and use an MSD. The TBI won't control it initially but I do plan to have spark control in the future. What are your thoughts?
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

FSJ Guy

Re: I'm conflicted, help me decide

Post by FSJ Guy »

If you're going to computerized timing control (which I would highly recommend), don't waste money on fancy distributors and ignition systems. You use an OEM distributor and lock out the mechanical advance for computerized timing control. The GM dual connector coil is plenty hot for a good spark. Save your pennies for your EFI tools.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

FSJ Guy wrote:If you're going to computerized timing control (which I would highly recommend), don't waste money on fancy distributors and ignition systems. You use an OEM distributor and lock out the mechanical advance for computerized timing control. The GM dual connector coil is plenty hot for a good spark. Save your pennies for your EFI tools.

X2

Use a stock dizzy, weld it up and call it good. Then power that dizzy with a GM 8 pin module and then choose from a ford 'TFI' or GM 'HEI' coil. The GM coil may be a little easiser simply because the junkyard harness with plug straigh into it (and the 8 pin module). don't forget to carry a couple of spare modules.

Pic of my stock dizzy all welded up. This dizzy powers my 401 and carried me to work today :fsj:

Bill usn-1

Post by Bill usn-1 »

Here is a http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/show ... post811756 link to the complete AMC distr conversion for use with EFI and timing control.
It shows the advance and the phasing adjustments required for proper operation.

Topic author
Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

[quote][/quote]Use a stock dizzy, weld it up and call it good. Then power that dizzy with a GM 8 pin module and then choose from a ford 'TFI' or GM 'HEI' coil. The GM coil may be a little easiser simply because the junkyard harness with plug straigh into it (and the 8 pin module). don't forget to carry a couple of spare modules.[quote]

So the GM module would replace the duraspark, dizzy is the same (Only welded to lock out advance) and pick an HEI or TFI coil. I guess the GM module would mount externally, like on a heat sink- does it need to be in a case (for weather protection)? Aren’t they inside the cap on GM dizzys?... Cap, rotor, plug wires would be the same?
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I have my GM 8 pin wired up on the passenger side fender, near the battery. I have three little aluminum strips mounted between the fender and the module to absorb the heat produced by the module. I'll try and take some pics.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I'd also like to add that you should review the dizzy phasing information that Bill has provided. I personally haven't dove into that stuff yet and I'm sure that my dizzy isn't setup correctly. My trucks run great, but I'm sure they could run even better if I paid more attention to the details like this.

sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

This is what I'm going to tackle early next week on my rig, as far as dizzy conversions.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/show ... p?t=114498
1977 Cherokee Chief WT w/ 2" lift
360 (originally a 401)/TH400/QT w/ MM part-time
16197427 $OD junkyard TBI set-up

sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

Fuel pump arrived on Monday! All I'm waiting on for now are the fuel pump adapters from Dorman and the chips from Moates.

sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

Oops, last post was supposed to be for my TBI thread. I'll move when I get to my computer tomorrow AM.

Topic author
Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

I read them both :D Your thread has provided a lot of good information.
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"