Electric Fuel Pump

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Bryon

Electric Fuel Pump

Post by Bryon »

I plan on doing an EFI swap on my 89 GW as soon as I can afford it, but I have to do drop my fuel tank and repair the frame above it and replace the skid plate ASAP.
While I have the tank down I wanted to install an in tank electric fuel pump and run new steel fuel lines.
Which pump should I get, what is the best power source for the pump, and any install recommendations?
Thanks!!

acct21

Re: Electric Fuel Pump

Post by acct21 »

If you have (or are installing) an aftermarket fuel sender, you need to extend the end of the pickup. Look at post #10 for pics.

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 35&t=16478

You also need to consider a surge tank as an option, instead of an in-tank pump. While some people have good success with the in-tank setup, our tanks are not baffled -- or otherwise equipped to handle fuel sloshing and pump cavitation. If/when your fuel level gets low, and/or you brake hard or drive on a decline, you may cavitate and stall. A surge tank will prevent cavitation by keeping a reservoir of fuel -- like the bowl on a carb. I used a PS500 from RobbMc Performance -- but there are others. You can keep your entire fuel system stock -- from your pickup to your mechanical pump. Your mechanical pump feeds the surge tank, and the surge tank feeds high pressure fuel to the EFI. I've had mine on since August and I love it.

The Holley Sniper system has a fuel pump relay circuit -- with a single +12v wire that goes to your pump.

https://www.robbmcperformance.com/produ ... surge.html
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

Topic author
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

Thanks!!
I will do further research
Any idea on how to power an electric pump before installing the EFI kit?

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Google will be your friend on that one.

I'd pull battery power to a relay that is operated by key-on power (ideally would be on in crank and run). Would definitely want some type of rollover switch/cutoff inline as well, in case something bad happens -- the fuel pump won't just keep pumping. A lot of folks use the old Ford rollover/inertia switches.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Bryon wrote:I plan on doing an EFI swap on my 89 GW as soon as I can afford it, but I have to do drop my fuel tank and repair the frame above it and replace the skid plate ASAP.
While I have the tank down I wanted to install an in tank electric fuel pump and run new steel fuel lines.
Which pump should I get, what is the best power source for the pump, and any install recommendations?
Thanks!!
What kind of EFI? That would help with the answer.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

What kind of EFI? That would help with the answer.[/quote]

That is a good question. I am still looking through my options and it seems a Holley Sniper is the most popular.
The 360 was bored .030 with a moderate cam. Also has an HEI distributor.
I would like to maximize fuel efficiency over HP, however, dependability is most important.

babywag

Post by babywag »

This had been discussed before...scroll down or search.
Really no point in installing an electric pump until you're ready/installing fuel injection.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

An EFI wont run a Carb' and a Carb' pump wont run EFI. The Card pumps run 5-8psi while most EFI run close to 60 psi. So, if you think your preparing for your EFI, it wont work.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

If you plan to go chevy tbi either Howell or diy down the road and not something like a holley sniper you can put a tbi pump in your tank. They are rated for something like 17psi. Then you can use a bypass regulator to knock down the pressure to the 5-6 psi the carb needs. Just requires a little plumbing. I did this on mine a year ago and haven't had a single problem.

As far as powering the pump you need a 40a 4 pin relay, and 30 amp circut breaker. Wire the power feed from the relay through the circut breaker to the battery. The trigger wire for the relay ties into the oil pressure sensor (same as the electric choke wire) and then run a new wire from the relay's output back to the pump.

To combat the issue of our tanks not being baffled you could use a holley hydromat or something but it's not really necessary
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Topic author
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

Thanks Kansasboy!!

nwkaustin

Post by nwkaustin »

acct21 wrote:If you have (or are installing) an aftermarket fuel sender, you need to extend the end of the pickup. Look at post #10 for pics.

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 35&t=16478

You also need to consider a surge tank as an option, instead of an in-tank pump. While some people have good success with the in-tank setup, our tanks are not baffled -- or otherwise equipped to handle fuel sloshing and pump cavitation. If/when your fuel level gets low, and/or you brake hard or drive on a decline, you may cavitate and stall. A surge tank will prevent cavitation by keeping a reservoir of fuel -- like the bowl on a carb. I used a PS500 from RobbMc Performance -- but there are others. You can keep your entire fuel system stock -- from your pickup to your mechanical pump. Your mechanical pump feeds the surge tank, and the surge tank feeds high pressure fuel to the EFI. I've had mine on since August and I love it.

The Holley Sniper system has a fuel pump relay circuit -- with a single +12v wire that goes to your pump.

https://www.robbmcperformance.com/produ ... surge.html

Hey Guys- I have an 87 Wagoneer that Had a Holley sniper on it. Every time I hit the brakes at half a tank the car decides it is done. Will a power surge fix this problem?

Thanks,

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

Hey Guys- I have an 87 Wagoneer that Had a Holley sniper on it. Every time I hit the brakes at half a tank the car decides it is done. Will a power surge fix this problem?

Thanks,

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

From what I understand, a surge tank is a small external or internal tank that the fuel is pumped into, then from there the sending unit pumps it to the engine. The goal is to have enough fuel in the surge tank regardless of stopping or going down hill to keep pumping regularly

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

A holley hydra mat would also be a solution. Id recommend part number 16-102 for the shape and pickup tube location of the GW tanks.
Last edited by kansasboy001 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Bryon wrote:Hey Guys- I have an 87 Wagoneer that Had a Holley sniper on it. Every time I hit the brakes at half a tank the car decides it is done. Will a power surge fix this problem?

Thanks,

Neal
A surge tank will solve your fuel slosh problem, but I'm not sure adding a PowerSurge to your current setup is what you would want to do. What is your current setup? Where is your high pressure pump located -- in the tank or on the frame somewhere?