Cold weather driveability

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Cold weather driveability

Post by Jasonjoli »

Hi, I've recently purchased a 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer that I've put a Howell fuel injection system on. I am debating whether I can make this my primary vehicle driving through the winter in Boston. Does anyone have any experience driving a Grand Wagoneer as a daily driver through the winter. I'm looking to get rid of my 2015 Dodge Durango RT. I know I can expect the same level of reliability. I am used to driving older carbureted cars but usually only in warm weather as a second car never something I have to rely on daily

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Re: Cold weather driveability

Post by Jasonjoli »

Jasonjoli wrote:Hi, I've recently purchased a 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer that I've put a Howell fuel injection system on. I am debating whether I can make this my primary vehicle driving through the winter in Boston. Does anyone have any experience driving a Grand Wagoneer as a daily driver through the winter. I'm looking to get rid of my 2015 Dodge Durango RT. I know I can expect the same level of reliability. I am used to driving older carbureted cars but usually only in warm weather as a second car never something I have to rely on daily

*** "can't expect"

babywag

Post by babywag »

Provides the tune is ok/decent and the Jeep is mechanically sound there is no reason not to drive it daily.
With TBI driveability will be fine even through the winter and you'll actually get much improved CITY mileage due to EFI controlling AFR much better vs. carb just dumping fuel when engine is cold.
Should be able to just turn key & go if everything is good.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Properly maintained, you "should expect" the same level of reliability.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

ferrum

Post by ferrum »

I DD my cherokee with TBI. Only thing you may have to worry about is make sure TAC is working properly and not disabled. I had throttle blade icing up on me. This can turn into scary drive when engine is revved up and break not working as well due to low vacuum.

'76 Cherokee
'76 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Post by Jasonjoli »

Thank you guys for the responses here.