Fitech and random dying on warm days solved

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Greenmachine

Fitech and random dying on warm days solved

Post by Greenmachine »

I have been running Fitech with a inline pump on my Cherokee since June of last year. Around the same time I installed the fuel injection I also installed a new 31 gallon tank in the spare tire location and new steel fuel lines from the front to tank (short sections of fuel injection hose at the throttle body and tank/pump). My 360 was rebuilt when owned previously and has around 10k on it. Ignition system was a remand electronic motor craft with the 460 cap, a square coil, and msd 6a(everything new and installed by me except msd box was used). Everything worked great with the carburetor that I had on it and ran great with the fuel injection for several months. Recently however it had died on me two times just like I shut the key off. It would start back but die again. If I let it sit for a while it would start and I could finish my trip home (18 miles total). I had used a airtech brand pump and they are not the greatest brand so I bought a walbro and installed it. First drive after the swap and it did it again. It was warm and I only went about 5 miles. It was kind of acting like a hei module going bad so I figured it was the msd box. Instead of buying a new one at $250, I decided to install a hei distributor and do away with the msd. That solved my issue. I was talking to a buddy and he said he had the same issue with a Holley pro-jection years ago and it was the tach signal from the msd box. Apparently they can distort, go bad, something that prevents the tach signal from getting to the fuel computer on the fitech and the throttle body just cuts fuel.

Anyhow I hope this helps someone else and wanted to post my issue/solution (the skip white hei was $54 vs $250 msd box)
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Fitech and random dying on warm days solved

Post by rocklaurence »

Good information, I have SkipWhite HEIs in both my trucks.

Wagnstuff

Re: Fitech and random dying on warm days solved

Post by Wagnstuff »

Thanks for the story Greenmachine, that will help someone troubleshooting!
1989 jeep GW, 3" lift, fuel injected 408 ci crate motor, air locker rear