Pickup tube doodad

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
GI-John

Pickup tube doodad

Post by GI-John »

Since the Novak drop in didn't work for me, I have to make my own 3/8 Feed line.
I have a stock pickup, and am in the process of fitting the line. In order to silver solder this, I had to remove some sort of electrical device. My guess is that it is for a fuel level sending unit. I honestly have no clue what it does, and would prefer to just leave it out.

Can anyone please tell me what it is, and if I need to keep it?

TIA,

John

babywag

Re: Pickup tube doodad

Post by babywag »

It’s a ni-chrome wire resistor. It is what provides a fuel gauge with a range of ohms to move the needle between E/F.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
GI-John

Post by GI-John »

Okay, so it is NOT needed on my 76 because there is a separate sending unit. Excellent.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Keep in mind that the 76 has two big holes in the tank, the rear one is for the pickup/sending unit and the other is for venting. 76s models used a 10-70 Ohm resistance unit and the later ones (86+) used a 90-10 sender.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

babywag

Post by babywag »

GI-John wrote:Okay, so it is NOT needed on my 76 because there is a separate sending unit. Excellent.
Correct...curious why you bought a sender when all you needed was pickup? Are they unobtanium now?

IIRC we bought a pickup for my dad's '79 Cherokee from zmjeeps. The 6cyl uses a 3/8" pickup already, NOBODY had the correct ones except Zack.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
GI-John

Post by GI-John »

To be honest, I really wanted plug and play. I'm a little leery about mixing fuel and electricity on my own. I found this pickup buried in a box of parts I had. I guess I bought it years ago and forgot about it.
I'm waiting for a walbro pump and install kit

It looks like they just clipped off the float and arm to make it compatible with other years.

babywag

Post by babywag »

You can reuse the electrical connectors on unit for the pump @ least, and won't have to drill & seal a new hole. Not that it's hard just one less thing to do.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
GI-John

Post by GI-John »

That was the plan. I took several pictures of the Novak setup after I realized that the lines were too small for my needs. I'm thinking about posting them so others won't have to go through what I am.

babywag

Post by babywag »

honestly 5/16” is fine, there are many v8 efi engines that use ‘em. But, I’m of opinion that some of these aftermarket parts are way overpriced for what you get.
You can now spend that $ on something else & get ‘lil satisfaction of DIY.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
GI-John

Post by GI-John »

babywag wrote:honestly 5/16” is fine, there are many v8 efi engines that use ‘em.
I really debated it. I want to do this the right way ONCE. Holley recommends 3/8 feed and return; 5/16 return is ok according to Sniper forum mods. I don't want to chase problems caused by not following manufacturer recommendations. This Jeep gives me enough grief... :D

az chip

Post by az chip »

Are you using a brake line fitting and a double flare? What are you attaching it to?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
GI-John

Post by GI-John »

az chip wrote:Are you using a brake line fitting and a double flare? What are you attaching it to?
Russell 640610 (-6AN) to 5/8"-18 Specialty Fuel Adapter Fitting

https://smile.amazon.com/Russell-640610 ... dpSrc=srch