Distributor for gm tbi

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
FSJ Guy

Re: Distributor for gm tbi

Post by FSJ Guy »

Your TPS setup is important. That tells the computer if your throttle is open or not, and if so, by how much.

Distributor reluctor phasing is not, IMHO. Some people will tell you otherwise, just like I am telling you otherwise (from other people's point of view.) I have never had to "phase" a reluctor. As they say, YMMV.

Base timing in your BIN file and physical base timing on your engine MUST be the same. The stock GM base timing is zero. But you are not using this on a GM engine. I have set my base timing to 10 or 15 degrees on AMC motors that I have fuel injected. AMCs like advanced timing. I tried setting the base timing to zero and it idled like poo. I reset it back to 15 degrees (in the BIN and on the engine) and I was able to easily set the base timing.

When you adjust one parameter in the BIN file, often the others will need to be adjusted a little, too. It sounds annoying, but it's doable.

There are good FAQs and resources on www.gearhead-efi.com as well.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Initial System Setup/Must Read

So I started with this read. Went back and double checked everything. Timing was off. So I reset timing, reset reluctor, and fired it again. So now it runs, well, ish. As long as I have the set timing wire unplugged it sounds pretty decent. I also got winaldl to connect to my ecm. So today the jeep gods have shined a little down on me. Now here comes the fun part. As soon as I try to hook up the set timing wire and reset ecm, it won't run. I'm talking it might start but never gets above a couple hundred rpm and stalls out. No matter where I try to set idle at it won't run. But if I unplug the wire, it fires right back up and does decent. Just won't take any throttle at all. Here is a little video of me tinkering with it.

https://youtu.be/Cro7blDkTbo

Figured I'd post this here also. I'm still not sold on it and it's still not driveable. But maybe it's on the right path.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Last edited by toothofwar on Thu May 24, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Also, how do I view and edit my bin file. I have finally got winaldl to talk to my ecm but I'm not seeing anywhere to do any editing.

babywag

Post by babywag »

toothofwar wrote:Also, how do I view and edit my bin file. I have finally got winaldl to talk to my ecm but I'm not seeing anywhere to do any editing.

You cannot.
Hardware is required to read a chip. (Moates)
Software is required to edit. (TunerPro or TunerCAT)

Need to do more reading...binderplanet FAQs or gearhead-efi, thirdgen, etc.
If you don’t understand the system and how it works life will be more difficult for ya.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Now you see why I would like to just go back with a carb. I don't care what any website or salesman says, this is not a plug and play installation. I honestly don't have a clue what I'm doing once I get past the mechanical installation of the system. I have spent 3 months searching the net and every forum I can find. There is so many conflicting story's that I have no idea what to believe or try. So all that being said, there is no way of knowing what my bin file says to set my initial timing to? I can't read the info off of my ecm other than what winaldl gives Me? I have tuner pro but it's virtually useless with my ecm.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Just like anything automotive opinions vary.

Need to stick to basic troubleshooting procedures.
I put this in your other thread...
babywag wrote:
toothofwar wrote:No matter where I try to set idle at it won't run. But if I unplug the wire, it fires right back up and does decent. Just won't take any throttle at all. Here is a little video of me tinkering with it.
What do you mean by "set the idle"?
The screw on the TB isn't for idle speed, it's for throttle blade adjustment for minimum air setting.
Since it runs w/o timing wire connected...do the minimum air adjustment procedure with IAC disconnected as Bill outlines.
Set TPS voltage. Then leave the screw on TB alone.

Then try setting the timing for say 5*, then reconnect timing wire and see what happens.
Do you know for certain the .bin has 0*??? If it doesn't your timing will be way off when ecm timing control is connected.
If it runs better @ 5*, try 10*, and see if it's better.
One step @ time...lets see if we can get it to idle/start/etc.

Throwing parts @ it, and jumping from one thing to another will just give you frustration.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

So I am at the jeep now. I have advanced it by 5* at a time, with every reset I would plug up the timing wire and rest ecm. I'm currently up to 20*. Im going to try it at this setting, then if that don't work I'll swap my p and n wires ant try it again.

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Also please don't take any of my comments on here as frustration towards any one on here. Y'all have been super helpful. I really do appreciate all the help y'all have given so far.

babywag

Post by babywag »

toothofwar wrote:So I am at the jeep now. I have advanced it by 5* at a time, with every reset I would plug up the timing wire and rest ecm. I'm currently up to 20*. Im going to try it at this setting, then if that don't work I'll swap my p and n wires ant try it again.

20* is too high.
Did you redo the initial setup procedure when trying 5*?
Baby steps...
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Once I got to 20, I swapped p and n and it fired right up with the timing control hooked up. It will take fuel now and everything!!!. I think I was trying to many things at once. So now I have unhooked the timing wire again, was only 5* off, reset to 0 and tried it again. Other than it idling at 1300 rpm it sounds really good!!!

babywag

Post by babywag »

Well pretty sure I suggested or hinted @ reversed wiring a while back?

Anyway...did you complete the minimum air setup?
That’s an important step.

Remember the basics, and one step @ time.
Most guys get all anxious, wanna slap it on and go.
It causes problems...
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

I have tried to. I'll tinker with it a little more in a few. I put my jumper in, turned on the key, then unplugged the iac. Once I done that I have all but removed the adjustment screw and it still won't idle down.

babywag

Post by babywag »

toothofwar wrote:I have tried to. I'll tinker with it a little more in a few. I put my jumper in, turned on the key, then unplugged the iac. Once I done that I have all but removed the adjustment screw and it still won't idle down.

That’s often a vacuum leak.
Or in rare cases throttle cable is too short to allow tb blades to close all way.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Yeah, I just found my gaskets under my 2bbl to 4bbl adapter is blown out. I'll be ordering the proper tbi to 2bbl aluminum adapter from Bill to make it right. I'm pretty sure that's my vacume leak. Once I seal all that up I'll try setup again.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Good progress.
Just for future reference, online diagnosis require full disclosure.
The more info you throw out there the better. Specifics etc., we can’t see/hear what you’ve got going on.

I’m glad you posted in general asking about trading for carb. With a little back & forth, we figured out some stuff. You’re now on a path to having it working properly. Still wanna yank it all off? haha
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Haha! Not a chance! I am really thankful for all y'alls help. I never knew how little I knew about Fi until this project. But man this thing has never been this alive!!!.

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

https://youtu.be/145LHL-fEZE

Took it for a little spin. This is when I returned and was setting in the drive. I'll get the go pro up and going one day to show the ride. It's still idling a little high. But I'm still tracking vacume leaks.

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

So I made a new gasket for under the adapters on the Tbi and holy cow what a difference it made!! I'm now idling at around 750 or so. So I went to redo my min idle and things are still not just right. Once I set the idle I shut everything down and reset ecm. Took it for a drive and I noticed it was a real low rpm in gear. ~500 rpm. So I get back home and I noticed my iac settles to 0 when idling. I think I read somewhere it needs to stay above 40, but I can't remember where. Is there something wrong with the iac? Or do I need to adjust it some how. If so how do I do so. Thanks again!

Herk

Post by Herk »

If the IAC does in fact go all the way to zero "0" with the engine idling, you either still have a vacuum leak or the throttle plates aren't closing all the way. Double check your throttle linkage (unhook from TB when setting idle), and if the idle stop screw has been messed with, back it off a bit. But before you go much farther figure out why the engine was idling so low in the first place. It may be the IAC or it may be the computer. What RPM is it supposed to be idling at? Got a junkyard IAC handy?

babywag

Post by babywag »

Did the adjustment with the engine fully warmed up?

When it's up to full temp., you can do a "cheat" adjustment.
Simply adjust the throttle blade screw to achieve ~30-40 IAC counts @ idle.
Recheck TPS afterwards to make sure it's still in ballpark.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)