Holley Sniper: Fuel Lines

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
michael.bohn

Holley Sniper: Fuel Lines

Post by michael.bohn »

1979 J10 360 : I'm installing a Sniper next week and I'm curious what others have done for fuel supply, return, and vent.
1. I'm hoping to use the factory supply and return lines but the Sniper kit wants me to drill and install a new return line. The return line they show in the literature enters the top of the tank and has an extender to go down into the bottom of the tank. It also shows the supply line coming out of the bottom of the tank rather than out of the top like mine does. What have you done?
2. Regarding the tank vent, apparently there's a rollover valve and (moisture or something) valve in the corner of the bed under a panel. Do I need to mess with any of this or can I assume that my tank is properly vented?
3. Any other suggestions?

az chip

Re: Holley Sniper: Fuel Lines

Post by az chip »

The best thing to do in my opinion, is go by the instructions. The instructions say the pump should be lower than the tank. 60 psi is the goal. I am going to use an in tank pump. Line size should be 3/8 for pressure and return. Original lines are not that size. They say you might be able to use the original pressure line for the return if the pressure is zero. If not you have to go bigger. That means there can be no impedance fuel to back up the regulator. I believe the return is shown on the bottom of the tank to stop aerating the fuel into foam. That foaming of fuel leads to fuel pump cavitation and vapor lock in high heat conditions.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
michael.bohn

Post by michael.bohn »

Agreed on lower than the tank, not an issue. Of course it’s good advice to follow the instructions, because of the convenience of using lines already there I thought someone might have tried using them and learned whether they will provide appropriate volume. I won’t be running the unit’s maximum fuel consumption so it’s completely feasible that smaller lines could meet the needs of my system. I believe pressures noted were 58.5 supply line and 3 psi return on my system but I only briefed through the literature.
What are you planning to do with/for your tank venting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

I used the factory lines with the external pump. My supply is 3/8" and return is 5/16. Replaced the rubber bits after the pump with high pressure tubing and clamps but, the rest is factory. Haven't had any issues, yet.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
michael.bohn

Post by michael.bohn »

Cool, thx!
What year is yours and are you referring to the size of the hard lines or of the hoses? My hard lines are 5/16 supply and 1/4 return.
From what I can find these sizes should be fine for fuel delivery for up to 350 hp, which I will be well shy of.
I think I’m sticking with factory lines.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

It's the '77 in my sig. Now that you make me think about it, I think that was the hose size. My engine is probably pushing close to 350hp and hasn't shown any signs of needing more fuel, though.
Ron

2006 KJ

GI-John

Post by GI-John »

I'm facing the same dilemma. I ordered the Master kit, but am thinking I might want to go with an in tank pump. I'm using an MTS Poly tank on my 76, and have emails out to both MTS and Novak about using their products with the Sniper. (The Novak pump might not have the line size or PSI/GPH requirements for the Sniper)

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Novak uses a 100psi Delphi when I bought it. Be sure to call and specify you need 60+. The regulator will regulate.

Also be sure to measure the sending unit and make sure the pickup sits on the bottom of the tank. I just used a clean stick. I've ordered two of them. One from TGW and one from Novak. Seems the use the same unit and they're 2-3" short.

I've also had to adjust the float arms on both which is more of a hassle. Drain tank, fill with one gallon. Watch gauge. Should lift off the E slightly, add another gallon light should stay on but above E, after 3 gallons light should turn off. If not then pull out SU and bend float arm, symphony out the gas and do over.

They might be set to go for the older tanks and maybe the reason why they are off some. Mines an 87.

That's the way I set it up.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

az chip

Post by az chip »

ShagWagon wrote:Novak uses a 100psi Delphi when I bought it. Be sure to call and specify you need 60+. The regulator will regulate.

Also be sure to measure the sending unit and make sure the pickup sits on the bottom of the tank. I just used a clean stick. I've ordered two of them. One from TGW and one from Novak. Seems the use the same unit and they're 2-3" short.

I've also had to adjust the float arms on both which is more of a hassle. Drain tank, fill with one gallon. Watch gauge. Should lift off the E slightly, add another gallon light should stay on but above E, after 3 gallons light should turn off. If not then pull out SU and bend float arm, symphony out the gas and do over.

They might be set to go for the older tanks and maybe the reason why they are off some. Mines an 87.

That's the way I set it up.
Or, get a spare tank from Jerry in Globe and use it to mock up your in tank pump system. ImageImageImage

'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

GI-John

Post by GI-John »

I spoke with Ryan at BJ's who contacted Novak.
Their drop in pump runs 5/16 feed and 1/4 return.
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/fue ... el-module/
The unregulated pump meets the Sniper pressure and flow requirements.

Hope that this helps.
Last edited by GI-John on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 007 »

I have the 4bbl Sniper on my CJ-7 with about 8k miles on it. Stock return line and master kit setup has been totally fine.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

KJ Ryu wrote:I used the factory lines with the external pump. My supply is 3/8" and return is 5/16. Replaced the rubber bits after the pump with high pressure tubing and clamps but, the rest is factory. Haven't had any issues, yet.
I mis-remembered. I ran the 3/8" rubber hose from the master kit, from the pump to the Sniper. For return, I just tied into the factory return though.
Ron

2006 KJ

texas993

Post by texas993 »

KJ Ryu wrote:
KJ Ryu wrote:I used the factory lines with the external pump. My supply is 3/8" and return is 5/16. Replaced the rubber bits after the pump with high pressure tubing and clamps but, the rest is factory. Haven't had any issues, yet.
I ran the 3/8" rubber hose from the master kit, from the pump to the Sniper. For return, I just tied into the factory return though.
I did mine the same way. No issues.