Cherokee AMC 360 Sniper EFI install

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.
deripaskatuh

Cherokee AMC 360 Sniper EFI install

Postby deripaskatuh » Sat May 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Rather valuable answer

Jeepin87

Re: Cherokee AMC 360 Sniper EFI install

Postby Jeepin87 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:27 pm

What fuel pump, sender unit is that? Factory replacement with a pump attached or is it a complete aftermarket unit?

az chip

Postby az chip » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:43 pm

Jeepin87 wrote:What fuel pump, sender unit is that? Factory replacement with a pump attached or is it a complete aftermarket unit?

Complete Holley aftermarket unit.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/ H4 Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Davidpsalt

Postby Davidpsalt » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:15 am

so what is the final verdict - how did everything go? Are you happy with the results?

I anxiously await your replay as I have a 1989 Grand Wagoneer - here in GA I am past worrying about emissions, hence i am dumping all the smog equipement and want to add EFI to make starting and running more reliable for me, wife, and kids now driving. Also, interested in improving power.

Looking for recommendations on the proper package - not cheapest - but a coordinated package. I.e. Eddelbrock Performer intake - ERG or no ERG? Holley Sniper EFI, which dizzy do I go with to best work with Holley for timing control? Should I upgrade my cam, lifters, and springs? (My valve stem seals are leaking so it may make sense to fix those if I am doing new springs to work with the new cam).

Leaving factory heads and exhaust manifolds - putting in a straight pipe in place of the un-needed cat.

thanks for our advice!

Dave
Atlanta

az chip

Postby az chip » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:08 am

Davidpsalt wrote:so what is the final verdict - how did everything go? Are you happy with the results?

I anxiously await your replay as I have a 1989 Grand Wagoneer - here in GA I am past worrying about emissions, hence i am dumping all the smog equipement and want to add EFI to make starting and running more reliable for me, wife, and kids now driving. Also, interested in improving power.

Looking for recommendations on the proper package - not cheapest - but a coordinated package. I.e. Eddelbrock Performer intake - ERG or no ERG? Holley Sniper EFI, which dizzy do I go with to best work with Holley for timing control? Should I upgrade my cam, lifters, and springs? (My valve stem seals are leaking so it may make sense to fix those if I am doing new springs to work with the new cam).

Leaving factory heads and exhaust manifolds - putting in a straight pipe in place of the un-needed cat.

thanks for our advice!

Dave
Atlanta

I will answer soon. I have been down since June with back issues. I am back at it though.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/ H4 Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Postby 007 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:49 pm

babywag wrote:The MSD 8519 & duraspark are virtually identical.
The main difference using an msd is an adjustable rotor is available to ease phasing.
If you search you’ll find tech info on how to properly phase a duraspark for efi.

Of course MSD tech is going to recommend a product their companies sell(msd 8519/8523).
If they made a dual sync for AMC they’d likely say you needed one if them.

If you put an 8519&duraspark on a scope, you would see identical signals.

You can put an adjustable rotor on Duraspark, and I did that first and drilled the hole in the top to hit it with a timing light and got it setup perfectly. Still had the problem. I understand your point, but the problem is that changing the distributor and doing NOTHING else on purpose fixed the problem. Never happened again. I don't think anyone would agree that the Duraspark and the 8519 are technical equals. There's no question that the 8519's design provides a more precise and consistently timed signal. This doesn't mean the Duraspark is junk, because it's not. It's just not the best solution for this application.

dodgerammit

Postby dodgerammit » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 am

84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with tan interior) AMC 360/727/229 TFI conversion, MSD streetfire ignition, D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj:

babywag

Postby babywag » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:27 am

The MSD 8519 vs. Duraspark pickups are the same.
A 30yr old Duraspark will probably have worn bushings.
Or could have worn shaft, etc. etc.
A good properly working Duraspark w/ new bushings would output a virtually identical signal.

You could also have electrical interference from pickup wires/connector. Simply replacing wiring with twisted pair resolves that issue. Routing too close to coil or plug wires can cause it, or coils/wires that are noisy.
This one I've personally dealt with, and helped several others with.
The factory Duraspark connectors are crap mandatory to replace them with better ones be it the little MSD molex? or something like Delphi weatherpack.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag) '90 GW (aka JunkBucket) both fuel injected.

Return to “FSJ Fuel Injection Tech”