Fitech Complete - My experience

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
PUDS

Fitech Complete - My experience

Post by PUDS »

Fitech seems to be the hot ticket item on this board lately, so I though I'd take a minute to tell people my experience so far.

My kit is the Go EFI 4, 30002 PN I believe (silver 600HP unit). It went onto a mildly built 360, Crane Cam, cleaned up stock heads, Edelbrock Intake, Thorley Headers, Ford HD Ignition upgrade (Cap,rotor, plugs, wires, coil). Obviously bolting the unit on was as easy as the removing the 4 bolts on the carb, as well as the fuel lines, and installing the Fitech in its place. My coolant temp sensor went into the unused port on the manifold, and the O2 sensor was welded into the passenger side collector just after the header. I purchased an 84-85? Sending Unit from BJ's, and had it modified at my local radiator/fuel tank shop, they added the Walbro GSS34X pump I had purchased on Amazon, as well changed the connections to fuel injection quick disconnects like a new vehicle. They also installed a special grommet that seals after the wires pass through for the pump wires. It took them a while to get it configured to fit, but it all worked out. They also made nylon supply and return lines for me, that I ran along the frame rails to around the firewall area. The total cost for them for the nylon lines, rework of the pump/sending unit and cleaning of the gas tank was around $300 CDN, again about half as much as I would have paid to get the Novak unit from the USA, plus I had new lines and the tank cleaned. From there to the TB, I used Russell performance braided lines and AN fittings to pretty it up under the hood a bit, including the recommended 30 micron prefilter inline with the supply line. The wiring was all done per Fitech instructions, I do not use timing control as of yet, I just wanted to get it running and it works fine as is. I did use a relay to supply power to the pump directly from the battery (12ga wire), so the Fitech simply triggers that circuit. I also used the stock ground for the sending unit, but also spliced into that and ran a 12ga wire all the way to the battery for the extra security of a good ground. All in all, if you are half handy and methodical in your approach to the install, the system is quite easy to put into your vehicle.

When I attempted to start the truck (which hadn't run in over 6 months), it cranked about 3 times and didn't start so I turned it off. Keyed again and it fired right up. All it took was to prime the system and it started like that. The truck had never started that easily, ever! Always screwing with choke, gas pedal, etc, the ease of starting makes the FI worth it just for starting. As for drivability, as I mentioned the truck is not on the road but I live in the country so I have taken it up and down the road a few times. It noticably continues to learn the motor and adjust settings, each time I drive it, it's better and better, to the point where I am now ready to start tweaking setting outside of the defaults for things like IAC steps, and decel, etc. Overall this has been a great experience for me, and a very fulfilling feeling of adding new life to an old truck. I highly recommend the unit.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Fitech Complete - My experience

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Good review. Mind if I ask what the cost was with the unit not counting the tank cleaning etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
PUDS

Post by PUDS »

I bought mine used from a guy that bought it for his boat but couldn't get it to work properly with the water cooled exhaust and the O2 sensor battling g each other. I got it for 800 CDN which is about half price of retail around here. With tank stuff and fuel lines, I'm into for around 1200 I think

1978 Cherokee/Wagoneer 360/727/NP229 (soon NP208)
4" BJ'S Lift
Thorley Headers/Magnaflow Exh
Edelbrock Intake
Fitech TBI (in the works)
32" BFG KM2'S
Razor Grill
///This is a project vehicle///

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Nice!

If your system allows timing control, DO IT!! It is SOOO nice to be able to adjust timing on a keypad or your computer.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
PUDS

Post by PUDS »

I'm not really up on ignition systems, I get the basics but have never set timing, etc and never had a distributor apart so I wasn't too keen on doing it from the get go. I think once the truck is complete and licensed on the road, that will be my next item to address. For now, without timing control it still runs way better than the carb and starts everytimd, so I'm happy!

1978 Cherokee/Wagoneer 360/727/NP229 (soon NP208)
4" BJ'S Lift
Thorley Headers/Magnaflow Exh
Edelbrock Intake
Fitech TBI
32" BFG KM2'S
Razor Grill
///This is a project vehicle///