Does fi use the return fuel line?

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Does fi use the return fuel line?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Ok gurus... I got a couple easy questions (I hope).
Since we are waiting for our Hamilton fuel injection to arrive and I have to work on the gas tank anyway, does the tbi system need a return fuel line? Can I toss the factory 1in2out fuel filter?
Does the FI use the factory size feed line (metal) or does it need a bigger one? Any other tips are appreciated.
91 stock grand wag. 360/2bbl, 727, 229, etc.

Also... does the cruise control work with the fi system? Any odd changes needed when this is installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Does fi use the return fuel line?

Post by 243 »

I ran a dedicated return on my GM TBI conversion, the TB has a supply and return.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

Yeah you can ditch the 1-2 filter. I have a filter before the pump and that's all it calls for. Use hose rated for fuel injection from the pump to the tbi and from the tbi to the existing metal return line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post by 243 »

Bill programmed my chip, I am very happy with it and I am sure you will be happy with this kit.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

243 wrote:Bill programmed my chip, I am very happy with it and I am sure you will be happy with this kit.
I think I will be also. While it's probably the high end of tbi kits cost wise, the fact he does timing control and was willing to build my harness to length were big selling points. I've yet to hear anything bad about him (versus Howell which seems hit or miss) and he was willing to talk to me and answer questions I had. He also added a small "military discount" without me even asking. That speaks a lot for him in my opinion.
I can't wait for it to come but I already have a massive pile of parts I need to install already. Not sure how I'm going to work the logistics of all this while keeping the waggy road worthy so the wife has wheels. Gonna be fun!

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

You can hook up your cruise control to the throttle body. Depending on which vehicle the original throttle body was in, there may or may not be a stud or bolt hole available to add the cruise control linkage. As long as you have something to hook it up to, the principle is the same and it should work fine.

If the length of the lever is really off, you *might* have to adjust your cruise control settings (black or yellow box that has fallen down and is probably now laying on the passenger side under the dash).
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Bill usn-1

Post by Bill usn-1 »

Ted,
I'm only a phone call away.
The TBI system uses 3/8 feed and 5/16 return.
The tank connects directly to the supplied fuel filter/pump.
Then I recommend running new 3/8 universal steel line from the pump to the firewall.
Connect each end with EFI hose and clamps.
You can normally use the original line as the return by just reconnecting each end.
Find an emissions port or t into the vent or filler hose.
The harness should be done by the middle of the week.

Cruise normally requires a VSS input. So if you still have yours inline on the speedo cable it will be the same as it was.
Just connect the linkage as it is now.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Thanks Bill! For all the advice and building the FI. I'm excited to get it but have such a list to get done while waiting that time is just flying by.