Fuel Pump Ground?

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
PUDS

Fuel Pump Ground?

Post by PUDS »

Just picked up my new & reworked sending unit which had a Walbro GS342 Fuel Pump added for my Fitech install along with 3/8 feed line and quick disconnect fittings/nylon lines. Everything looks good, but I'm worried about the grounding of the pump.

Rather than putting both fuel pump wires through the new grommet on top for thr sending unit, the shop that did the work soldered the pump ground wire to the sending unit body. This in theory will allow it to ground using the same ground as thr sending unit itself, which is via the ground tab on top and a small (maybe 16ga) wire coming from the harness. I'm worried that this grounding method won't be sufficient for the much higher draw of the fuel pump.

Should I add an additonal, maybe 10ga ground wire to the tab and fasten the other end to a solid chassis ground close to the gas tank or will the original sending unit ground work fine? I know most aftermarket installs I've looked up use 10ga typically for power and ground on fuel pumps, but most injected cars use standard gauge harness wiring like 16 or 18 to do the same job. Thoughts?

1978 Cherokee/Wagoneer 360/727/NP229 (soon NP208)
4" BJ'S Lift
Thorley Headers/Magnaflow Exh
Edelbrock Intake
Fitech TBI (in the works)
32" BFG KM2'S
Razor Grill
///This is a project vehicle///

will e

Re: Fuel Pump Ground?

Post by will e »

If I read your post correctly, yes, run a larger ground. A lot of what I read suggests actually running a ground all the way to the battery for the fuel pump. I didn't do this but my fuel pump is for a carb, less current draw.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
PUDS

Re: RE: Re: Fuel Pump Ground?

Post by PUDS »

will e wrote:If I read your post correctly, yes, run a larger ground. A lot of what I read suggests actually running a ground all the way to the battery for the fuel pump. I didn't do this but my fuel pump is for a carb, less current draw.
Makes sense thanks

4" BJ'S Lift
Edelbrock Intake
32" BFG KM2'S
Razor Grill

swanny1911

Post by swanny1911 »

PUDS, how did you end up running your ground wire for your setup?
1988 Grand Wagoneer, AMC 360, Streetfire ignition, TFI, 2" body lift, Holley Sniper, Stainless Brain Fabrication Fuel Tank, Evil Twin Fab spare tire carrier. :fsj:

Topic author
PUDS

Post by PUDS »

I used the stock ground for the sending unit as well as ran a 14ga wire all the wire to the battery.

4" BJ'S Lift
Edelbrock Intake
32" BFG KM2'S
Razor Grill