Fitech vs Edelbrock Performer carb?

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
PUDS

Fitech vs Edelbrock Performer carb?

Post by PUDS »

I am building a summer daily driver/expedition type vehicle. Truck has a built 360 and runs ok with the edelbrock setup (intake, carb). Also has Thorley headers, some head work, crane cam. It is hard to start even with manual choke, but it could be from sitting so long although I have ran fresh high octane through it. I don't have really any miles on it, it needs a bunch to get on the road (mostly body work), but I have the opportunity to pickup a used fitech TBI system for a decent price. My mechanic buddy says he'd keep the carb and tune it (but he's an older fella), I think I want FI for the convenience of starting and drivability of it. I'm curious how many believe FI is a worthwhile investment for a DD. I don't want to waste money. I look at a TBI system as the next best thing to a full restomod engine swap for drivability. Engine, tranny and t-case are all rebuilt so are good to go, so how much better would a TBI system make it?

FWIW, the fitech is $800 CDN, so about $500 USD. I figure I could sell the carb for a portion of that to reduce that initial investment. At under $1k for a complete FI system, I believe it sounds good but am I just caught up in the FI hype?

motcat

Re: Fitech vs Edelbrock Performer carb?

Post by motcat »

<tongue and cheek ON> You might as well discuss religion and politics instead of Carb vs Fuel Injection </tongue and cheek OFF>

I'd like to go FI mostly because of the versatility of changing the parameters and observing the results. I program computer hardware for a living and burn chips all day long so FI seems like a natural thing to do. But my Cherk runs so damn good and has acceptable mileage using my 30 year old Holley carb on my built 401, I can't justify a grand for FI when I could put it somewhere else.
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Go for it! Driveablilty is the #1 reason to go fuel injected, IMHO. And less chance of vapor locking, too!!

After your FSJ vapor locks INSIDE the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70, you will appreciate the reliability of fuel injection! LOL!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

After converting several of my own rigs over to TBI, I've stated this many times:

I simply feel sorry for those who continue to run carbs.

Ya, do it.

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

PUDS wrote:I think I want FI for the convenience of starting and drivability of it.
This is why I went with a tbi setup. I wasn't expecting a mileage boost although it did gain 1-2 mpg more on average. I'm at 7k ft elevation around town but a few hours drive either lands me around 4K or up to just shy of 13k ft. No more tinkering with mixture as the elevation changes, just drive and enjoy.

Topic author
PUDS

Post by PUDS »

Pulled the plug, should see it sometime next week. For basically half the price of new here in Canada, I couldn't pass it up knowing full well I wouldn't be happy with the carb once I start driving the waggy when it's road ready. Thanks for the opinions/influence!

On another note, what is everyone running for a fuel pump? Inline? In-tank? Command Center?

If you run an inline, can you simply splice into the current supply line and then a return line back to the tank?

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I think it's best to run an in-tank pump, although an externally mounted e2000 can work fine.

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

PUDS wrote:Pulled the plug, should see it sometime next week. For basically half the price of new here in Canada, I couldn't pass it up knowing full well I wouldn't be happy with the carb once I start driving the waggy when it's road ready. Thanks for the opinions/influence!

On another note, what is everyone running for a fuel pump? Inline? In-tank? Command Center?

If you run an inline, can you simply splice into the current supply line and then a return line back to the tank?
No, you cannot simply splice in. All your soft lines will need to be upgraded to Fuel Injection rated line because of the increase in pressure. If you buy the inline pump kit offered by Fitech, it comes with everything you need. Good thing about the Fitech unit is that it has a built-in pressure regulator.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

Topic author
PUDS

Post by PUDS »

Good to know thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

motcat

Post by motcat »

There are a couple guys here that have had bad luck with the Fitech pump and went with an alternative.

Here is the last page of the thread:
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... ch#p123071
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

I had not seen this issue with the Fitech stuff. Well you could always get a Bosch 044 pump and a roll of 3/8 FI hose off ebay and make your own kit.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD