Ls swap? ??

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Bigpete1

Ls swap? ??

Post by Bigpete1 »

Hello. Just wondering if anyone has done a ls swap out ?? If so would the stock axles from a 73 wag. Be able to handle the power? ? Given that they line up right and all. And any companies make motor mount adapters for FSJs.
T.I.A :fsj: :fsj:

REDONE

Re: Ls swap? ??

Post by REDONE »

Um... there's been a lot of LS swaps, there's a solid handful of companies that make motor mounts, radiators and adapter plates depending on how much you want to change. BUT a 73 FSJ will have passenger drop front axle, and all the transmission and transfer case combinations that came behind the LS were all drivers drop, so they don't line up at all. As for how they handle the "power", that depends entirely on what you plan to do with it. 31"s and feather footing through the backwoods? No problem. 10" of lift, 39"s and blasting mud bogs? Might need rockwells.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

GaJeep94YJ

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

My 79 lines up fine....

You need to get a 231c that's a passenger side drop.

Or do like I did and convert a 2wd 4l60e into 4wd and use a Dana 300. Adapter has the vss in there which helps with the 4wd speeds in huge PCM.

Bolt in motor mounts are $100. Use the stock jeep cross member in the rear holes

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

You probably want to look at the build threads in here (there is a section for them) in addition to searching.

I don't think the stock axles would hold up very well, but it all depends. I have severe issue with semi-float drum brake axles to begin with, so I always recommend full float. But if you baby the stock axles, they may work just fine.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

If you don't drive like Blake, you may be fine.

:- p

Seriously, however, yes, if you go easy on the GO! pedal, your stock 1973 axles should be OK.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

derf

Post by derf »

The stock axles in a 73 should be a Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear. They might hold up to a healthy small block V8. But I would look at upgrading.

Swapping in axles from a 74-79 Wagoneer would probably be the best route but the suspension changed so it's not a direct bolt in.

They put a 401 in the Wagoneers in the 70's so I would expect them to hold up to a 5.3 just fine, provided you don't drive like Blake.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk