Narrowed it down

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

REDONE

Re: Narrowed it down

Post by REDONE »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt ~Abraham Lincoln
I thought it was:

:mrgreen:
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

+5
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

The Gettysburg address was http://302.746.8.438.09

Oswald haxored it so they took it down.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I ordered the
Fitech 30002
Fuel command center
Edelbrock performer manifold
RTV grey
Manifold bolts
Manifold gasket
Valley gasket
Thermostat gasket
Distributor gasket
Throttle return spring kit

Ended up $1778 out the door.

Ordered from jegs. Called by phone to make sure all was in stock. Paid then next morning got an e-mail saying the FCC was back ordered and would ship out 9/30. That's like 6 weeks out! So I called and gave a few choice words about that, talked to the supervisor about why the salesman lied to me that it was all in stock before they took my money,and that was the whole point of me calling in was to make sure all was ready to go, then it was delayed 6 weeks after I paid for it.... He actually wanted to argue with me saying that HE didn't say that correcting me when I said you told me would ship out immediately.

I cancelled. Went with Summit racing. Same thing, same price, actually so same it seems they're the same company...?Except,summit told me beforehand FCC was delayed till 9/08 and they'd give me a discount if it was late. They also recommended RTV and the distributor gasket and manifold bolts that the jegs didn't. Don't know if I really need all that or if it's just cushioning their commission..

Hoping for the best..
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

There's some good reading on the Fitech website that has specifics on all the models they have.

The model I got for $995 has idle control, and a port on the handheld to hook a computer to. Not sure what for or how extensive it goes but probably more than I care to use (at the moment lol).

The $1195 model says has FULL tuning capabilities. Seems more for a modified hot rod type engine with supercharger, NO2, etc..... However I saw an ad on eBay from a guy how was selling it because he couldn't get it to run right on his mustank.

I also noticed they have fan hookups? This for an electric radiator fan? Or another kinds of fan. Mines a clutch fan or something. I got 2 different fans on my jeeps. Not sure what's better or what they even are but they're different from each other. Neither seems to be electric.

Also good point on the processor being mounted on the hot manifold. Something I definitely overlooked. Hope this is t a problem as heat and CPUs don't mix well. That's probably the first thing I'll do is take it apart and see if the have anything to address the heat. See if I can do something there.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Hopefully they have spec'd their components to work in hot environment. Nice that you got the version with computer interface capability. That will help with tuning AND data logging, if it supports it.

You are correct. The fan control is probably an electric controller. The ECU will probably run a relay instead of running the fan directly. A distributor gasket is probably a good idea. The intake manifold bolts are bogus. They can be reused forever. Torque on those isn't very high at all.

Aren't the manifold gasket and valley gasket the same thing??? Unless they're talking about the gasket between the intake and the carb/TBI. But that should come with the EFI kit, I would think. <shrug>
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I think the version I'm getting has some limited tuning, like a can tune for towing, one for racing, one for touring, one for economy etc.... If I understand right if I mod my stock setup I can download a can tune for it somehow.

The site says the step up from mine has FULL tuning capability,but the one I saw one for sale on eBay that the guy couldn't tune his heavy modded mustake with it and his loss your gain.

I'm sure I can easily mount a CPU fan on it somehow if needed, or an Xbox fan. We'll see. I haven't seen any complaints out there for CPU heat.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

If you have the computer interface, I suspect that you can tune it however you want. "Economy" tunes are never any fun. No power, and you'll notice it. LOL!

Unless it also controls an electronic transmission, a "towing" mode is no different than a "power" mode. Either way, you'll have fun tuning! It's great to plug in with a laptop and change things instantly. No jets, no messing with floats, etc. And you stay CLEAN!!! Ha ha!
Ethan Brady

motcat

Post by motcat »

Maybe some useful Fitec info on this forum. Be warned, the site is really slow due to all the ad crap they load.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-efi/ ... s-etc.html
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

To bad the only one smog legal in Calif is the howell system. Otherwise I would go with Bill.
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

babywag

Post by babywag »

j10jim wrote:To bad the only one smog legal in Calif is the howell system. Otherwise I would go with Bill.
If you are willing to visit a smog referee Bill's system would be legal after the referee inspects/tests the truck.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I'm so mad.

Placed the order on August 19th.

Was told fuel pump would be sent out on the 8th. 10th rolled around it wasn't sent out.

Called summit they said no idea when it will be sent out but it's estimated on 9/29 to be sent out. Just what the other company said in the first place. I told them the whole reason I placed my order was because they said it would be shipped out on the 8th and their competition was saying the 30th. I asked the salesman why he said " well we're better than they are I guess"...

Well 29th rolls around I get an email that says it will be estimated to ship out on 11/30. That's 2 months from now. Nearly 3 months later than I was told when I placed the order.

So I sit here out $1700+that I already paid with boxes full of stuff I can't even use, and no idea when it will come. They keep telling me that it's an estimated ship date and that I shouldn't expect it on that day. And that I can send all the parts back for a refund on my dime. That's like $100+ shipping to send it back.

They're like %600+ off the estimated ship date, and that's no promise. Sooooo unacceptable..... Estimate should come in around %10. %25 at the most....

I don't know what to do.... If I'd known all this I would have waited for the Holley that comes out tomorrow probably...

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I'd be sending it back. A fuel pump is not all that special. It shouldn't take that long to order in.
Ethan Brady

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Cataldo

Post by Cataldo »

so how is it running now?
Jay

1975 Jeep Wagoneer: 350 SBC, TH400, Q/T, D44's 3.54:1's. Hell Creek 4" lift with BFG KO2 33x10.5s.

1988 Jeep Wrangler: 305 SBC, TBI, 700r4, NP231c with SYE, 9" w/ Detroit and 4.11:1, 5.25" of lift, 31's. Done up as a Jurassic Park Jeep (Her's)

1973 Chevy Camaro: Vortec 350, 200-4r, GM 8.5 3.23's. 12.4 @ 108mph.

1965 Ford Mustang: Aluminum Headed 347, c4, 3.00:1 gears, High 12's (Her's).

Looking for 1 good factory Kidney Bean Mag in Southern California for use as a matching spare

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I had it running pretty good for a few weeks and was making the adjustments according to the instructions. Had it starting right up cold and hot, and adjusted some hesitations out of it while cruising and wot it.

Then I decided to replace the timing belt, water pump, belts, etc.... while I was timing it and testing it it wouldn't turn over. Ended up bieng the starterr decided to die. When I swapped out a different starter it started right up but it was late and I don't think I adjusted the timing right. I replaced it and reset automatic learn function. Test drove it for 30 miles or so had some really bad pinging at wot.

The next day drove same 30 miles and np with the pinging. Only slight if I try. I think the fitechnadjusted it out after a cycle or two of starting, warming up and some travel as it's auto learn is supposed to do.

I'm gonna readjust my timing this weekend. Get it dialed in first there, Then try to figure out all,these adjustments to make with the handheld. It's got one for cold start, hot start and a few others, but they don't really tell you which way to adjust. Just to adjust and how much one way or the other and see if it improves.

It's all new French to me. I'm just a driveway mechanic...