Novak fuel pump

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
nightglide

Novak fuel pump

Post by nightglide »

I think it just came out but anyone have experience with the in tank fuel pump made just for fsj from Novak?
I really don't like the sound of my frame mounted one and I don't think it likes this Nevada heat.
77 J10 360/T18/Dana20
Fitech fuel injection
4" Lift....3" body lift....35" ats

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Novak fuel pump

Post by rocklaurence »

Never heard of it--you have a link?

derf

Post by derf »

Never heard of it either but it's on their website:

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/fue ... el-module/

Looks like it's targeted for swaps to fuel injected engines.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Someone here has one but I can't remember who and I can't find the thread where it was mentioned before.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
nightglide

Post by nightglide »

I have fuel injection. I just hate how loud my frame mount pump is and I thinking it's getting hot from our 100+ weather we have been having.
77 J10 360/T18/Dana20
Fitech fuel injection

derf

Post by derf »

Might be worth giving it a go. Though if you have TBI, you'll want an additional pressure regulator. It comes out at 58 PSI which is way too much for a throttle body. Drop it down to ~20 to feed to a TBI system that will equalize at the pressure it wants. If you have multiport, the 58 PSI will be good.
W0JPR

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

derf wrote:Might be worth giving it a go. Though if you have TBI, you'll want an additional pressure regulator. It comes out at 58 PSI which is way too much for a throttle body. Drop it down to ~20 to feed to a TBI system that will equalize at the pressure it wants. If you have multiport, the 58 PSI will be good.
GM TBI has the regulator in the TBI.

derf

Re: RE: Re: Novak fuel pump

Post by derf »

Blake wrote:
derf wrote:Might be worth giving it a go. Though if you have TBI, you'll want an additional pressure regulator. It comes out at 58 PSI which is way too much for a throttle body. Drop it down to ~20 to feed to a TBI system that will equalize at the pressure it wants. If you have multiport, the 58 PSI will be good.
GM TBI has the regulator in the TBI.
Some TBI pressure regulators have a hard time dropping pressure that much, especially with a high flow pump.

Sure, it might be ok. But it might not.
W0JPR

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

X2. I wouldn't want 58 PSI going to a regulator that is only expecting 15-20 psi.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
nightglide

Post by nightglide »

My fitech takes 58 psi and has a built in regulator
77 J10 360/T18/Dana20
Fitech fuel injection

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

The fitech is probably designed for the 58 psi initial pressure.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

babywag

Post by babywag »

It would be fine with TBI, ~50-60psi is not a big deal for TBI to regulate.
A generic e2000 is actually a MPFI pump capable of up to like 90psi unregulated.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Wowo

Post by Wowo »

I'm pretty much a newbie here, but I installed that Novak fuel pump. Not too many miles on it yet, but so far it works fine. I didn't want to replace my poly tank so wanted something that dropped in. The Novak pump with included sock was a close fit in the hole but pretty straightforward. The sender works fine with my 88 GW gauge. I mounted a fuel filter to the tank skid plate thinking it'd be accessible. Okay so far. Looks like Novak just added a pump to what looks like a replacement sending unit; it says JWSU-4 on top. I've seen posts on here where other guys did something similar, but I didn't want to modify the sender and add the pump myself (that newbie thing). It expects the original fuel line sizes (5/16" & 1/4") so I added adapters increasing supply line to 3/8", and increasing return line to 5/16"; I know that probably restricts it but I just wanted to match the line size I used. I don't have any kind of baffle or tray under the pump and don't know if I'll have any problems with fuel starvation when inclined. I used an MSD regulator to dial pressure down to 47 psi. I had a problem with the first pump Novak sent (it was wrong one), but Tim at Novak was super helpful. Here's some pictures.

88 GW
just getting started

Topic author
nightglide

Post by nightglide »

You're running msd atomic system?
My fitech also calls for a 3/8ths supply and 5/16ths return. I ran my return into my filler neck tho.
But it said it needs 3/8ths to supply fuel pump so it dosnt starve. If fuel pump is already in gas in isn't going to starve :D
77 J10 360/T18/Dana20
Fitech fuel injection

babywag

Post by babywag »

~$60, and 1 hour of your time...and build your own modified w/ 3/8" line. More $ if you want/need a more expensive than OE fuel pump.
A stock OE style pump is easily capable of supporting ~250HP.
If you want a drop in then yeah Novak I guess, but VERY odd that they would not increase the hard line sizes?

I simply removed the 1/4 return line, drilled the hole larger and bent up/soldered a 3/8" hard line for supply line.
Drilled a hole for the wires, and sealed with grommet & epoxy putty.
Measured the distance needed for the pickup screen so it sits in correct location, and connected the fuel pump.

-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Novak Conversions
Vendor

Post by Novak Conversions »

nightglide wrote:You're running msd atomic system?
My fitech also calls for a 3/8ths supply and 5/16ths return. I ran my return into my filler neck tho.
But it said it needs 3/8ths to supply fuel pump so it dosnt starve. If fuel pump is already in gas in isn't going to starve :D
What can you tell me about your engine i.e. how big is the cam? Approx. how much horsepower? I'm sure we can help you out with a drop in unit that will serve you for many years to come. We just sent an in tank module to a customer with a mid 70's Cherokee converted to a Gen IV 5.3L/6L80E that had bad luck with a frame mounted pump. The extreme heat was causing it to vapor lock according to his mechanic. The drop in module solved all his problems.
We're all part of this Jeeping community and love helping fellow Jeepers out! :D

Topic author
nightglide

Post by nightglide »

Novak Conversions wrote:
What can you tell me about your engine i.e. how big is the cam? Approx. how much horsepower? I'm sure we can help you out with a drop in unit that will serve you for many years to come. We just sent an in tank module to a customer with a mid 70's Cherokee converted to a Gen IV 5.3L/6L80E that had bad luck with a frame mounted pump. The extreme heat was causing it to vapor lock according to his mechanic. The drop in module solved all his problems.
We're all part of this Jeeping community and love helping fellow Jeepers out! :D
Is this Eric from Novak? I have been emailing Eric.
I'm not sure the specs of my engine. I know the po used to mud drag race the truck and apparently it did fairly well.
All I know is it has headers, factory four barrel and now I'v added the Fitech fuel injection. I believe it has better than stock cam. RV maybe?
The frame mounted pump Fitech supplies is extremely loud and I think it too kinda shows symptoms of vapor lock if it gets really hot.
Thanks
Owen
77 J10 360/T18/Dana20
Fitech fuel injection

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

Novak Conversions wrote:

I'm the one that built the Cherokee you're talking about. I would HIGHLY recommend the Novak in tank fuel system. I've done several LS swaps in Jeeps and I've never had any problems with the frame mounted pump system before (but its always been loud). But due to the customers location and extreme heat he was experiencing vapor lock (I know. You didn't think it was possible on fuel injected vehicles. But come to find out it is.). This Novak fuel system solved all of the problems. I believe the fuel prime time had to be extended in the computer program, but it works great and the vapor locking issue is gone. I will be putting this Novak kit into every LS swap I do from here out.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Wowo

Post by Wowo »

Yes, running MSD Atomic EFI. I'm really slow at all this (reading and reply to this too!) in between life (kids, work, etc.) but got the AtomicEFI in and it runs. Just controlling fuel at the moment, but will have it control timing after I get some more miles on it.
nightglide wrote:My fitech also calls for a 3/8ths supply and 5/16ths return. I ran my return into my filler neck tho.
But it said it needs 3/8ths ...
I was guessing the "required" 3/8 inch line was really about these FI systems being able to meet their advertised spec; i.e. someone calculated the fuel line size needed in order to provide a certain fuel rate to an engine that actually could produce the max horsepower they listed. I figured my AMC 360 wasn't anywhere near that so the 5/16" reduction wouldn't hurt it.
nightglide wrote:If fuel pump is already in gas in isn't going to starve :D
LOL. yeah. But if gas gets low and the wag is leaning then the fuel might not make it to the pickup. I saw a post where Dr Marneaus showed his in-tank pump with the tray at the bottom. That's way better, but I didn't want to do the work to modify my stock tank.

In the end the Novak pump works for me, but guys like babywag have made something just as good and saved some money.

BTW, as a new guy on here I'm really impressed with the experience, knowledge, and capabilities of the people on here. It's part inspiring and part intimidating!
88 GW
just getting started

Cataldo

Post by Cataldo »

I'm curious how well it will handle inclines and low fuel tank levels.
Jay

1975 Jeep Wagoneer: 350 SBC, TH400, Q/T, D44's 3.54:1's. Hell Creek 4" lift with BFG KO2 33x10.5s.

1988 Jeep Wrangler: 305 SBC, TBI, 700r4, NP231c with SYE, 9" w/ Detroit and 4.11:1, 5.25" of lift, 31's. Done up as a Jurassic Park Jeep (Her's)

1973 Chevy Camaro: Vortec 350, 200-4r, GM 8.5 3.23's. 12.4 @ 108mph.

1965 Ford Mustang: Aluminum Headed 347, c4, 3.00:1 gears, High 12's (Her's).

Looking for 1 good factory Kidney Bean Mag in Southern California for use as a matching spare