MSD Atomic EFI: Tuning Tuning Tuning

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Re: MSD Atomic EFI: currently installing tank and lines.

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Cool. all my actual fuel lines are AN hose, because this needs to run 30-50 psi.

considering this is for the filler and vent, well, it doesnt matter what pressure its for but I cannot find any fuel line in the sizes that isnt high dollar stuff.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Doesn't BJ's sell the filler neck hoses?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

for 80-91, not sure if that applies to the 75-79 or whatever that range was vehicles. Either way even if they work....$75 from BJ's plus shipping plus a 2 week wait....it'll be a wash.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Are you sure the big house is 7/8th? I can't find anything that size. Not even in the gates catalog.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Try a heavy truck shop. Try looking for 22mm hose too.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

LOLOLOL! did you see the price?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yeah but it holds 2000 PSI of pressure! You need that right?

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Nikkormat wrote:Yeah but it holds 2000 PSI of pressure! You need that right?
I think that might be a little low for my requirements.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

So, I'm running into a too low voltage during cranking situation.

Battery only reads 10.7v when cranking, so at the solenoid its only showing like 10.2 and at the ignition switch under the hood its only showing 10.35. I believe the 10.35 would be sufficient to get the computer to power up, but when I tested it at the solenoid, it was not. the handheld unit kept shutting down during cranking test.

I understand the truck has been sitting a few weeks and it's also been cranked a dozen times for a few seconds each over the past week, but this is a little concerning. I don't want to be out camping and have my truck not fire up because the computer doesnt see enough voltage during crank.

Flip suggested giving the battery a good solid charge from a high voltage source (from another vehicle's alternator) to try and balance the battery back out.

Perhaps my truck doesnt have enough voltage at the solenoid when running to give a really good high voltage charge. as soon as I get this thing fired up I intend to bypass the ammeter to hopefully gain a bit of voltage at the solenoid/batter when the engine is running which will hopefully give better charges, and then after all of that and after the system is working I intend to upgrade the alt to a 10SI, but I REALLY want to get the fuel injection running BEFORE I do that, so that I know it works. I believe after the alt upgrade and ammeter bypass my battery should take a much stronger charge and this problem can be avoided.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Simple....add a relay.
low 10.x as trigger wire on relay, boom unit gets battery voltage on cranking wire.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Also I'm having trouble determining where to place the 02 sensor on what appearance be a stock exhaust system from the muffler up.

It says make sure it has at least a 10* angle so it doesn't gsther condensation. Can I mount it on the upper near vertical section or should I place it on the lower mostly horizontal section? I want to make sure it's protected and out of the way

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

According to the interweb, don't point it straight down or straight horizontal:

http://wbo2.com/lsu/position.htm
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Flip

Post by Flip »

Sorry for the slow responses. I've been helping my neighbors load up for the big move to Idaho. Two full days of loading, and we still have another day - day and a half. lol

On the fuel filler hose. Just search around through the stuff on Amazon.com. You may find the part cheaper elsewhere, but this is a pretty good listing of different hoses.
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1 ... ler%20hose

On the O2 sensor. If at all possible, try and stay about 18" away from where the exhaust manifold and head join together. That is optimum distance.
The O2 sensor just needs to face up 10* or more from parallel with the floor.
If you run into issues figuring this out, you can either get a band clamp bung (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-690130/overview/) or you can do what I do, and duct tape a 3" long 1/2" socket extension to the exhaust pipe, to get an idea. Just make sure the pipe is cold... lol
This will give you a good idea on placement around linkages, and how to run the harness.

From our texts, it sounds like you've got a good handle on the electrical.

Keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to a viddy of you starting it, with an ear to ear grin. 8-)

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

The instructions said to mount the o2 sensor 2"-4" downstream from the collector. So, I went maybe 4" below the joint where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe. I hope thats acceptable. It's on a nearly vertical portion of pipe as youcan see, so it's a bit above parallel with the ground, I think the angle and whatnot is fine. I just hope this isnt too close to the engine?

It would have been difficult to mount it lower because the exhaust is too close to the frame on one side and on the other side it looked like potential for the front drive shaft to contact the sensor existed....so I opeted to drill into the upper section of pipe.

P.s. yay i can finally fix the exhaust leak on top of my muffler, and also yes, i know I really need a tail pipe....and lastly, I hate mud.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Make sure you have no exhaust leaks before the sensor!!! Location should be fine.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Ha ha! Yes, mud is fun. Until you have to clean it off.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

babywag wrote:Make sure you have no exhaust leaks before the sensor!!! Location should be fine.
I'll be replacing the flat gasket at the top of the flapper.

I'll be deleting the flapper guts and hopefully welding the holes.

i think thats it.

Does the lower seal on the flapper where the flared end of the pipe meets the flapper require a donut? Or does the flapper just get the one flat gasket?

Along with other crap, I'm intending to get ALL new exhaust in the near future, but need to get it up and running first.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

You need a doughnut. I've got the part number at home somewhere.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

So both manifolds get a donut, and the passenger side gets a flat gasket as well? My passenger side has never had a donut gasket, oddly enough.

I'm pretty sure its just one of these:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0022